Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

converting a 1973 D200 (2x4) into a W200 (4x4)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• converting a 1973 D200 (2x4) into a W200 (4x4)

Has anyone ever done this ??

Worth it?

Probably not. There is a lot of work. The steering,transmission mount,suspension mounts, rear end lifted to compensate, driveshafts, etc. are all major things to work on. The front end would have to be squared so that it doesn't dog-track going down the road.

If you have a nice body on a 2wd then look for a 4x4 frame and switch bodies. You would be way ahead of the game that way and it would be cheaper.

You would have to get a tail housing for the tranny to mount a T-case to or go with a divorce unit which needs its own mounts.

If you are set on having a 4x4 then trade bodies or trade for another truck. It's cheaper and safer.
    Last edited by Gordon Maney; 12-02-2009, 12:53 AM.

Comment

I agree with Greg! Saw your thread the other day and wanted to wait, to see what was replied.

I did this, with a '77 W-200 that was body swapped with a '78 D-200. If at all possible use the same year truck, as minor changes were made in steering etc. On my swap it was really very easy, considering, and turned out just great.

Comment

Hate to be a contrarian here but it's not that daunting of a project, ....IF...you have the required mechanical skills or a deep pocket book (both may help).

This truck;

Started life as a D;

Granted, a leaf sprung truck is easier to convert than an IFS truck, but squaring the frame is not that big of a deal, if you happen to know a carpenter....= )

The most important thing is to have a complete donor drivetrain from one vehicle.
        Issues develop trying to put together mis-matched parts, so transmission-transfer case-linkage-mounts-front driveline and front and rear axles, steering linkage, etc. should all be from one donor, you'll have a lot less hassle with putting together items that were designed to go together.
        That way you don't have to worry about spline counts, shaft diameters, bolt patterns, gear ratios, u-joints, etc. You must have the knowledge to understand those things, but you won't have to search, re-do, replace or modify as much when yo have all of the components from the same donor.

Comment

The conversion

It has taken about 3 months, but it's done. I agree that this is only possible if you have a complete donor truck (which I had). It was a heck of alot of work. Changing bodies was not a option, because I wanted my 73 extented cab Camper Special converted to a 4x4. My donor truck was a M866. LOTS AND LOTS OF TIME,BLOOD AND BEER.

Comment

3 months, I'm impressed. Takes me longer to swap transmissions. Hope to see some pics soon. How much beer did the conversion take?

Comment

The conversion

Thanks, but when you have only a part time job you have more free time. I worked on this truck about 40 hrs a week. I lost track of the beer I drank. I would guess around 12, -30 packs. (my brother in law helped a bunch)
              Will post pic's when the hood is back on and I have better tires and wheels. My older 16.5 mag wheels have a huge 3/4 holes used on the Camper Special studs. These axles have 1/2 studs and now I can't find lug nuts to use these ultra cool western rims.
              BTW the truck has a cool name...The One Ton Plum

Comment

Pictures?

Comment

Finally got pic's

However, there is not a browser tab here and I cannot figure out how to post them. Any idea's ??

Comment

http://s585.photobucket.com/albums/ss291/acudanut/

Comment

Have Completed truck

Why is there not a browser tab on this site....This site needs works.
                      Go to www.dodgecharger.com
                      Look up 73 powerwagon...Mine is the Purple/Silver one
                      They at least have a browser site.

Comment

1973 Power Wagon, 3/4 ton, club cab, 4x4

Truck has been done for almost a year. It's on e-bay right now. I need money for to fix my John Deere 3020. Thanks, Mike 913-634-1785 or acudanut@embarqmail.com

Comment

My one ton plum

Still trying to load pictures here. If you want pictures or cannot find it on E-bay. E-mail at www.acudanut@embarqmail.com Thanks,Mike

Comment

This used to be a 1/2 ton 1985 2wheel drive city truck, we bought the truck after the guy spent a whole lotta cash and time into it to make it the way it looks today. It now has a 93 cab, 3/4 ton chassis and dana 60 axles under it.
                            Personally I would start with a 4x4 chassis in the interest of saving time and possibly money.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Power wagon

Originally posted by Jake View Post
                              This used to be a 1/2 ton 1985 2wheel drive city truck, we bought the truck after the guy spent a whole lotta cash and time into it to make it the way it looks today. It now has a 93 cab, 3/4 ton chassis and dana 60 axles under it.
                              Personally I would start with a 4x4 chassis in the interest of saving time and possibly money.

If you read everything here, you would know I have already completed the project. BTW Dodge did not build a 73 Club Cab 3/4 ton 4x4. That's why I DID.

Comment

Working...
                              X