No announcement yet.

Power Steering update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found some more info at toyotasteeringrecall.com - the affected part seems to be an intermediate link operating between the powersteering box and the steering link used with crossover steering on IFS trucks. It fatigue-cracks after numerous high-effort full-lock turns- don't think that'll happen with the aftermarket arm and M37 draglink.

Comment

They just had a recall on their older Tacoma truck frames too. I'm surprised I hadn't heard more about these recalls. Seems like the news media loves to cover these stories, or maybe that's just for the big three.

Comment

Originally posted by Desoto61 View Post
        They just had a recall on their older Tacoma truck frames too. I'm surprised I hadn't heard more about these recalls. Seems like the news media loves to cover these stories, or maybe that's just for the big three.
        The news media just hates America and American Business. They don't really care if Americans are killed by others.

Comment

Originally posted by Desoto61 View Post
          My dad had a '96 tacoma that was recalled due to the frame rust
          issue. He took it in for state inspection and the tech at the garage
          showed dad how he could poke a screw driver right through the
          frame. Toyota bought his tacoma back for $11k. Dad went out and
          bought an '07 4x4 quad cab Dodge Dakota with the 4.7L V8. It is
          his first Dodge truck since driving his father's '37 Dodge pickup when
          he was a kid.
          John

There have been some folks who have used the ford steering boxes
          instead of toyota boxes.

Comment

My dad had the same issue. Problem was he had purchased the truck as an "R" title so while it wasn't anywhere near as bad as yours, they still failed it. Problem was they wouldn't give him any money for it and now couldn't get it inspected either because they damaged the frame during their testing. He eventually got it repaired and inspected since he only uses it as a spare vehicle and for hauling stuff that won't fit in his car.

Comment

It STILL turns left.....

Well I finally found the reason why my truck turns left- it's the box. Jacked the front axle off the ground, started it up, and presto!- the wheel starts turning to left lock. Anyone know if the 83-85 Toyota PS box is adjustable from the outside....?

Comment

Working...
              X