Axle Bushing / Axle Oil Seal Puller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axle Bushing / Axle Oil Seal Puller

There have been a couple posts on this, and I got the idea from Johns S. (thanks!). I figured I'd share the version that I came up with in case someone out there needs a cheap, easy to make puller. I had some 3/8 rebar laying around, and threw some threads on it. The washer with the flats is made out of some 1/4 plate with a 3/8 diagonal hole drilled through it. I used part of my split bearing puller to go across the bell.

Great work, I made one not near that nice when I first did the M, since then I've used my slide hammer/puller to pull them.

I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
    Will
    WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
    1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
    1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
    1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
    2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

very nice puller good job of thinking it out and getting it right. now for the real reason I'm here, when I rebuilt the 420 in my ff I didn't have the tool to pull the reverse idler shaft, has anyone out there made a home made tool for this job. as I dont have a picture of the factory tool, a picture would be worth a thousnd words. thanks in advance. PWdave

Comment

Nice home made tool. The ingenuity of people never ceases to amaze me.

When I pulled my bushings, I just used a slide hammer with a piece of flat stock bent into a hook bolted to the end.

Not as elegant, but it worked fine. And, as someone else had already fashioned the hook, it was no work for me.

Comment

Originally posted by pwdave View Post
          very nice puller good job of thinking it out and getting it right. now for the real reason I'm here, when I rebuilt the 420 in my ff I didn't have the tool to pull the reverse idler shaft, has anyone out there made a home made tool for this job. as I dont have a picture of the factory tool, a picture would be worth a thousnd words. thanks in advance. PWdave
          The tool is simply a threaded rod that screws into the end of the shaft, most typical types are used with a slide hammer puller kit.

Another way that is easy and works fine is that after everything else is out of the case; go through the input shaft hole with a long punch, tap against the end of the pin. It isn't that tight and will come right out the back of the case, once it moves an inch or so, you can then pull it by hand.

Comment

How Do you reinstall Axle Bushing / Axle Oil Seal Puller

Ok, getting them out is the easy part, how do you reinstall them without the proper tool?

Bob2

Comment

I have the good fortune of having a 69 year old father who is still a working machinist. He built a couple of seal installers for me, and I copied his design for the axle seal and bushing installer that I made. Mine is definitely not up to the same standards as the ones my dad made, but it works pretty well. Basically I took a very large bolt (measures 1 5/16ths across the bolt head), and brazed a heavy duty washer that I cut out of some scrap plate onto the bolt. The washer is sized to to just under the outside dimension of the seal, and can be use to drive both the seal and the bushing.

Comment

Pic of the bolt head, with the seal. The bolt fits perfect, and keeps some pressure on the seal lip so the spring can't pop out.

Comment

Working...
                X