No announcement yet.

Big Welders Cont..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My former work as millwright called for lots of welding, but nowadays the fog sets in well before sunrise on my tired old brain! I found a website that is LOADED with techical information, far more than I even want to know, but very friendly to newcomers and head-scratchers like me. Y'all might enjoy it, but be sure and poke around and find all the different boards in it.

http://www.weldingweb.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=2

JimmieD

Comment

Pretty neat.... and, by golly, that is another vBulletin forum.
      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Air arc is an excellent, fast means for removing heavy metal, noisy but good.

I've welded forks occasionally, replace fork hanger brackets quite often. I shorten uprights, narrow or widen carriages, build counterweights, etc. I have extended frames and added weight to increase load capacity, shortened frames and added taller weights to make short wheelbase high capacity lifts.

I modify new machines to fit special applications. I've done jobs from customers 200 miles away that no one else would touch. As far as I know I'm the only guy in NC or SC that will shorten a triple upright on any size forklift to whatever the customer needs.

Converting my deuce and a half to a dump was a piece of cake compared to a lot of jobs I do.

The nice thing is I really enjoy what I do.
        Tomorrow will be a pretty simple day. I'm swapping brackets and mounting a late model Case roller upright on an older John Deere forklift that has a worn slider upright. I'm doing that job for an Isuzu diesel power unit my son and I are installing in a Fruehauf Trackmaster bulldozer/backhoe.

The fun just goes on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by dr9487
          Air arc is an excellent, fast means for removing heavy metal, noisy but good.

I've welded forks occasionally, replace fork hanger brackets quite often. I shorten uprights, narrow or widen carriages, build counterweights, etc. I have extended frames and added weight to increase load capacity, shortened frames and added taller weights to make short wheelbase high capacity lifts.

I modify new machines to fit special applications. I've done jobs from customers 200 miles away that no one else would touch. As far as I know I'm the only guy in NC or SC that will shorten a triple upright on any size forklift to whatever the customer needs.

Converting my deuce and a half to a dump was a piece of cake compared to a lot of jobs I do. The nice thing is I really enjoy what I do.

Tomorrow will be a pretty simple day. I'm swapping brackets and mounting a late model Case roller upright on an older John Deere forklift that has a worn slider upright. I'm doing that job for an Isuzu diesel power unit my son and I are installing in a Fruehauf Trackmaster bulldozer/backhoe.

The fun just goes on and on.
          I am weak on forklift terminology.... Do the uprights make up the mast? The term mast is one I have heard in my time around forklifts. The idea of shortening the wheel base on a forklift is interesting.

So, you are repowering this trackmaster machine?

I have often thought I would like to make up a pair of forks and attaching pieces for my loader to use occasionally. Do you have a sentence or two of opinion to offer on that idea?

I think your work sounds very interesting, and you are obviously very capable and experienced. How did you get into this work?

Comment

Gordon, the upright or mast is the same thing, different people use different terminology. Its the channels that go up and down.

Quite a few people use forks on the loader bucket. Usually 3 u-shaped pcs welded to the top of the bucket. The forks are mounted on a rod with the back of the forks being about 6" taller than the bucket. Just roll the bucket forward to come under the bar and roll the bucket back and you`re ready to go. 2"x4"x1/4" tubing makes a pretty nice set of forks for a small loader or backhoe. Increase the dimensions for bigger machines. A piece of pipe on top with about a 1 1/2" rod.

I started hanging around the shop of an older man who did forklift modifications in 1970. His son wasn't interested in the business. I learned enough that I went in partnership with him in 1972. He had to retire because of a bad heart in 1974. My sons aren't interested in the business either although both older boys 33 and 34 are capable. Maybe my 6 year old will like it. He and one of my grandsons seems to like it.

Comment

Trackmaster

I bought the Trackmaster for $600 with a bad Wisconsin engine. My oldest son found the diesel and has done most of the modifications to install it. We are now redoing the pins and bushings in the backhoe boom. Runs really sweet now.

Comment

[i] I started hanging around the shop of an older man who did forklift modifications in 1970. His son wasn't interested in the business. I learned enough that I went in partnership with him in 1972. He had to retire because of a bad heart in 1974. My sons aren't interested in the business either although both older boys 33 and 34 are capable. Maybe my 6 year old will like it. He and one of my grandsons seems to like it. [/B]
                I think you are in an enviable position.

Comment

Originally posted by dr9487
                  Quite a few people use forks on the loader bucket. Usually 3 u-shaped pcs welded to the top of the bucket. The forks are mounted on a rod with the back of the forks being about 6" taller than the bucket. Just roll the bucket forward to come under the bar and roll the bucket back and you`re ready to go.

2"x4"x1/4" tubing makes a pretty nice set of forks for a small loader or backhoe. Increase the dimensions for bigger machines. A piece of pipe on top with about a 1 1/2" rod.
                  I think I am hearing you say you would not use real forks. Is that because of their weight? You are saying a piece of 1-1/2 inch diameter round stock at the top?

Comment

Gordon, 1 1/2" round stock at the top or larger for heavy loads. Standard forks are too short on the back unless you extend them to reach across the bucket. The forks I mentioned are for lighter duty use. For HD use most people remove the bucket and install a carriage with forks direct coupled to the machine. The fabricated forks normally are used if you need a lift capacity under 2500 lbs. You can do a search for bucket forks and should get some pictures.

Comment

Thank you, I will look for some of that. My John Deere has a really neat quick detach bucket mechanism that would allow me to make up something pretty good.

If I get some time soon I will take a photo. I am working to get an issue to the printer this week.....

Comment

picture

Gordon, here is picture of what I'm talking about.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X