Floor jacks & jack stands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ha!
    That reminds me, Hi-Lift Jacks; great for tricky situations off-road, but VERY unstable! You need to carefully think through ANY maneuver with them as they hinge at the bottom and can ruin your day if you're not paying attention.
    ...now to crank up George Straight and get back under there......

Comment

Hi-Lift jacks are great for off road for doing many things but they are very unstable. I would never get near a truck that is only lifted with one as it could go either way at any time.

I have a stack of short wood timber of different sizes I use to block up what ever I am working on, longer 6 x 12's for the bottom. I have some jack stands I use here and there but I never fully rely on them.

My 3 ton floor jack is about ready for the dump as it only lifts on half of the stroke. I have to do a lot of pumping to get it to go up and it is full of fluid. I don't think any of the stuff sold today is worth repairing. Usually it is cheaper to replace. At work I never allow anyone to repair a chain fall as it is not worth the liability. We cut the chains off and throw them away, ordering a new replacement.

Comment

Jack Repair Parts

For those that are so inclined here's a couple of links for repair parts for Hi-Lifts and most hydraulic jacks.

http://blackhawkparts.bigstep.com/generic34.html

http://www.hi-lift.com/products/parts_services.htm

Comment

What a Waste!

Sickcall, You hit the nail on the head!

"My 3 ton floor jack is about ready for the dump as it only lifts on half of the stroke. I have to do a lot of pumping to get it to go up and it is full of fluid. I don't think any of the stuff sold today is worth repairing. Usually it is cheaper to replace. At work I never allow anyone to repair a chain fall as it is not worth the liability. We cut the chains off and throw them away, ordering a new replacement."
          What is America becoming, a mostly disposable country, what a waste!

JimmieD, What a great link, it appears they carry most every make/model?
          Thanks,

Comment

Great, Bruce, I hope it helps! There's others too, if you do a Yahoo Search for 'jack repair parts'. I got all kinds of hits but only posted the one. I have about 15 or more jacks to restore and all AMERICAN made or quality foreign made. Rather pay $30-$40 to repair one of those than buy junk for the same price!

Comment

JimmieD
              Speaking of jacked up, my emails keep bouncing back from your mail service, tell your tech guy to feed the hamster again....= )

Comment

Thanks, Norm, will do....

Comment

Sears

Originally posted by JimmieD View Post
                  Great, Bruce, I hope it helps! There's others too, if you do a Yahoo Search for 'jack repair parts'. I got all kinds of hits but only posted the one. I have about 15 or more jacks to restore and all AMERICAN made or quality foreign made. Rather pay $30-$40 to repair one of those than buy junk for the same price!
                  I had to run thru Sears Monday, stopped to look at some of my favorite stuff.......every jack stand was made in China, as was most of the things I looked @? I am not going to rant again, just look closer at most things I think I need?

Comment

Never thought I'd long for the day of good old Japanese imported junk.....the chinese junk makes the Japanese junk look like tools made by Rockwell..........

Yep, label shopping is what I do now, takes me about 5 days to find something made in the USA, but it's a sense of accomplishment we you find a good quality American Made product.

Here is one of my favorite companies, note their location.
                    http://www.lislecorp.com/about_us.cfm

Comment

We know it's not going to change until American Consumers STOP BUYING FOREIGN JUNK. The only way to effect change is by hitting them where it hurts the most: in their bottom line. Politicians on all sides sold us out, major vendors [stores] sold us out, and Wall Street sold us out. The last stand is on the streets of the USA where the few remaining Americans can still turn the tide of economic collapse and the gutting of our country.

BOYCOTT FOREIGN JUNK!

Comment

Working...
                      X