No announcement yet.

Drill bits & drill indexes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I still gotta get on that..... :~ )

Comment

Drill Doctor Model?

I threw out an imitation brand sharpener and kept on sharpening by hand - a skill I learned back in 1956 when I worked in a machine shop and boiler factory. I learned how to sharpen a drill bit so the metal came out in chips instead of a continuous curl which transferred all the heat to the drill bit.

The last time I looked at them, there were several Drill Doctor models. For those who are happy with your Drill Doctor, which model are you using and which features are most important?

Thanks.

Tomorrow the Easter Bunny comes - except in Rhode Island. We are having sleet and it's sticking on the side walk. Last Easter set a record high - 90 degrees. This Easter looks like it will be the third coldest in the history books - 35 degrees. Weather data for information only. Any comment on the weather may constitute a hijacking.

Comment

Kevin in Ohio wrote this:
        "Finally broke down and bought a Drill Doctor. Was skeptical about them at first but after trying one I do recommend them. You can also do split points with them as well. They have a replaceable($20.00) diamond wheel that keeps a consistant edge. The model 500SP does 3/32 - 1/2" drills while the 750SP does up to 3/4". No difference in the machine, they just include another chuck for the bigger sizes. Enco (1-800-873-3626) has them on sale this month for $103.95(500 sp, order # br890-9009) & $119.95(750sp, order # br890-9007). That is as cheap as I've ever seen them. Shipping was under $6.00 too! I've been sharpening bits for guys at work now for 25 cents each and got the machine half paid for allready. I work with Stainless and touch ups are quick and easy. I've done it by hand for years without too many problems but this is a lot easier to get centrally ground,EQUAL cutting edges. By the way, this is a non paid advertisement. Just when something works as advertised I like to spread the word. Kevin"

I bought the 500SP knowing it is the same as the 750SP except for the large bit attachment (discovered that buying the attachment separately was a tad cheaper!)
        It has a few quirks, but I'm getting better at it. I too sharpen my own bits by hand, but the eyes seem to be going, so the drill doctor acts as my eyes. You can cut two different angles and split points and masonry bits.

Comment

Paul,
          The drill doctor works good for the bits over 1/8".
          I found that anything smaller just did not work for me, so I just replace them.
          The drill doctor takes a little practice, but does give you a good edge on the bits.

Comment

Working...
          X