Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jonas Smith View Post
    I'll get a fresh 5 gal cont. of super unleaded and put the good oil in,
    My cousins' husband rebuilds/restores the 0 series of Stihl. From the little ones up to the grand daddy's. The one thing that he does/says, is only mix enough fuel for your immediate need. He usually mixes it in a little squirt bottle, like BBQ lighter fluid is sold in. (32oz??) As we've discussed here many times, the newer fuel won't last very long and will just mess up your carburetor. He also drains that gas after every use...

Pieter

Comment

Cool Avatar!
      Yeah, I mix "small" now too, and I run the saw dry. I use to be able to leave fuel in it for months, if not years, and she'd still fire up on the first pull. With the newer gas she'll fire up, but won't stay running until I clean out the carb, even running it dry doesn't seem to help much...

Comment

Two things you can do at end of season, either/or: add a little Marvel Mystery Oil to your fuel mix in tank, maybe 10%-20% Marvel, remove the sparkplug and yank it over several times to pump that Marvel fuel mix in carb. Drain tank & reinstall plug. This is good for a few months storage.

Long storage use a little Marvel with just a bit of fuel in tank. Run the saw dry, pop the top cover off or carb and let it air dry for a couple of days, reassemble.

Either way the Marvel mix prevents gum & varnish setting up during storage.

Comment

20 years on the same chain ? draining the tank?

I go through a chain every two years . I never drain the tank and I sharpen the sucker myself with nothin but my eye. I do toss a kit in the carb about every 2 years and blow out the cobwebs and rust off the magneto doomaflunky when the spark gets weak. 035 with a 30 inch bar has been enough saw for my firewood pile for the past twenty years.

Most of the time the old stihl works fine.
          About the only time i can complain about is when I humped it up a trail (4000 verticle ) and the darn saw would not start. Spent an hour fooling with it and it never even farted. Got back to the truck and said " This thing should start first pull- I then yanked on it and she fired right up "

The saw is sitting in the back of my truck right now collecting rain water.
          Should I put it in the shed ?

Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
            I go through a chain every two years . I never drain the tank and I sharpen the sucker myself with nothin but my eye. I do toss a kit in the carb about every 2 years and blow out the cobwebs and rust off the magneto doomaflunky when the spark gets weak. 035 with a 30 inch bar has been enough saw for my firewood pile for the past twenty years.

Most of the time the old stihl works fine.
            About the only time i can complain about is when I humped it up a trail (4000 verticle ) and the darn saw would not start. Spent an hour fooling with it and it never even farted. Got back to the truck and said " This thing should start first pull- I then yanked on it and she fired right up "

The saw is sitting in the back of my truck right now collecting rain water.
            Should I put it in the shed ?

Bruce
            Yes.... put it in the shed.
            Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
              Yes.... put it in the shed.
              Why should he start now? Sounds like the saw has led a hard life, but still performs perfectly... ;o)

A Great story I might add....

Pieter

Comment

Working...
              X