Overhead doors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overhead doors

I have a building with two 10x18 door openings in which I have not yet installed any overhead doors. At the time I built the building, I wanted to get as much building as I could with the available funds (insurance claim after tornado like storm), so I did not include doors in the cost.

A door this size is necessarily a commercial door. My question: Does anyone have experience that recommends a certain brand or model of door? My budget precludes the possibility of using insulated doors.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

I you get a bare-bones "Overhead Door" brand Aluminum door, The panels can be insulated with rigid-type foam at a later time. But almost any aluminum door panel has this capability. The main item of importance is the quality of the hardware, ie hinges, rollers and track.

DAB
    1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
    1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
    2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
    1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
    1954 Ford 860 tractor
    1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
    UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

Hi Gordon,

When I built my shop, I was also on a real shoestring. I called around the various garage door companys and found a pair of doors which someone had ordered and then cancelled. They were insulated and had glass, both items I was resigned to live without. I got them for less than the uninsulated cheapys I was originally thinking about. Second hand doors are another option, just have to be at the right place at the right time. Do you have any flexibility with your opening size?
      Best luck and glad your knee is healing well.
      Tim
      57 Power Wagon
      Numerous Power Wagon parts trucks!
      57 W-100
      60 W-100
      51 M37
      61 Triumph TR-3A
      80 Triumph Spitfire
      09 Dodge Ram 2500HD
      05 Subaru Outback
      10 speed bike
      Hiking Boots

Sumus quod sumus

Comment

I was on a VERY thin shoestring budget when I built mine. My opening was 12 X 12. I welded up some 1" square frames and added 5V metal siding. My local ACE hardware guy is pretty cool and got me rails and tracks for sliding doors. Both doors (6 X 12) with tracks, frames & sheeting was under $225. Easily adjustable, but not totally weatherproof. I guess I could add some thick rubber gaskets between them, just haven't yet.

49 T&C

Comment

Gordon,
          Your doors are 10 wide and 18 high? (width always listed first, then height).
          I use Porvene, great quality door, but locally produced. Any good quality roll up door with insulation will be in the $1,800 range. Here are two 12x14 doors I just installed.Roll Up Door

Comment

sectional doors

Insulation does not add that much cost, get it now. Get it reinforced for an electric operator even if you don't install that part imediately. Overhead Windsor and Raynor are all good quality brands. Door springs are sized for the weight of the door at production. Adding weight they are not designed for can cause inbalanceand/or premature fatigue. Doors that are opened a lot should have heavy duty hinges and high cycleage springs. Without an operator you should be able to get installed for about $10.00/ sq.ft.

Comment

I shopped around for overhead doors a couple years ago. I ended up buying units made by Wayne-Dalton. They were R-11 insulated steel doors and I bought then from a door company that primarily does commercial sales and installations. A 18' W x 8' high door cost me about $1,000 installed. This included a commercial spring unit, cables, tracks, rollers, and hardware. No residential parts were used. We have been very pleased with these doors.

Comment

Working...
              X