M-37 Diesel Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xm708 View Post
    I was curious if your adapter for the spicer to 205 worked out well ? I searched and searched and it looks like you are the only one that has coupled a married 205 to a spicer 3053 . I want to build a chevy cucv with a manual 3053 and a married 205 case. Any help would be great.

Thanks

ed
    The adapter has worked out nicely. Now I can proceed with fabbing up engine mounts, and t-case mounts. Check out some of the pics below.
    Attached Files

Comment

updates

I was wondering if you may pass along some closer pics and any chance you will be maybe making a few more for sale or maybe the machine shop you used would possibly like to sell them ? I am getting close to the cucv dually project and the 3053 and 205 is the way I want to go for sure.

ed

Comment

Here is a pic of the rear of the adapter, boy it sure is a pain to attach pics on here--as of right now my main objective is to finish my truck- but I am leaving open the option of producing these if enough interest is expressed. I'm not sure how well the idea I have made into a reality will be accepted due to the extreme expense of the manufacturing of such an adapter. There is a TON of machine work done to the plate on the back of the spicer. A custom shaft was fitted to the stock output on the spicer, with little mods to the stock set-up. I used a NP-205 6-bolt round chevy Transfer case-this was the best option so I could clock the entire unit to align the front driveline. Again--there is a TON of machine shop work involved to produce this thing-and the guy that made my unit has since left the shop-so as of right now, I don't have another source-Have you considered a divorced 205?
        Attached Files

Comment

What do you find difficult about attaching photos?
          Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Most of my pics are taken with my Iphone and the format is a .IMG file extension, which is not supported. Also, I have to reduce the file size to the maximum allowable limit of 125kb. These two issues are workable for me, but not without some creativity on my part. I guess I should just use my digital camera next time and see how that works out.

Comment

Originally posted by mastermechanic19 View Post
              Most of my pics are taken with my Iphone and the format is a .IMG file extension, which is not supported. Also, I have to reduce the file size to the maximum allowable limit of 125kb. These two issues are workable for me, but not without some creativity on my part. I guess I should just use my digital camera next time and see how that works out.
              I am sorry for the delay. I just now found this post.

If you can sometime, email me a photo you have with the .img file extension. I would like to experiment with it.

Comment

.img

pm sent.

Comment

Do I gather from the preceding photos you have figured out the image attachment procedure?

Comment

Yes sir ;) its just a matter of getting creative when resizing them--I been doing alot of work on the truck lately- engine is mounted, transmission;t-case is mounted, crossmember fabbed--next is linkages, and driveshafts.

Comment

M-37 Motor Mounts

I am doing a similar conversion on my 1953 M-37.
                      4bta, spicer trans, .69 od, power steering, disc brakes.
                      I would like to either buy a set of motor mounts or fabricate a set from drawings.
                      Is it possible to obtain drawings of what you did for motor mounts?
                      This would help progress a lot.
                      Thank you for your time, I hope you post additional photos, your workmanship is second to none!

Comment

Originally posted by Rally Truck View Post
                        I am doing a similar conversion on my 1953 M-37.
                        4bta, spicer trans, .69 od, power steering, disc brakes.
                        I would like to either buy a set of motor mounts or fabricate a set from drawings.
                        Is it possible to obtain drawings of what you did for motor mounts?
                        This would help progress a lot.
                        Thank you for your time, I hope you post additional photos, your workmanship is second to none!
                        With my build, I used a married Spicer to a NP-205, and I used factory dodge/cummins mounts in the middle of the engine, where the 4 bolt pad is. And a heavy plate was placed on the inside of the frame rails, using existing holes for shock mounts, and steering gearbox mount. Custom plate were then cut to obtain the right position for my engine mounts to the frame mounts. This is what it took to get the right clearance on my truck.

If you are using a divorced transfer case, then the engine will have to be mounted at the back on the SAE housing, and also the front.

My engine mounts were fabbed according to the angle the engine was tilted to clear the oil pan on the front diff. Another thing to keep in mind is that the holes in the bellhousing on the spicer has to be "clocked" to make the transmission sit level again, this is because of the tilt in the engine.
                        A custom crossmember was also fabbed up to support the transmission/transfer case assembly as well.

With all that being said and done, I'm thinking your build would have to be an EXACT replica of mine in order for the engine mounts to work in your favor.

I know other guys have installed the 4bt into the M-37 prior to me, and I've seen and heard of other engine/transmission/transfer case configurations, but I'm sure any combination will require creativity to work, as my build sure has.

Comment

Here is a pic of my transmission, transfer case, cross-member assembly.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X