Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cummins 4 BT source....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cummins 4 BT source....

    I found a guy in CA who is selling Cummins 4BT Bread truck Cutouts for $1300. This is the engine complete from Radiator to Bellhousing, with all accessories. I did'nt get the transmission with mine because it was a turbo 400. (Auto's are bad, right, Gordon? And besides, I'm hoping I can adapt a NP 435 to the back of it.)

    I cant reccomend the fellow yet as my engine has'nt shown up, but when it does and if all is in good order, I'll let you know.

    P.S. He'll sell a complete Frito lay truck for $2900.

    Jonas
    Central Washington

    "Cowards die many deaths before their time.
    The Valiant never taste death but once"
    Shakespeare- 'Julius Cesear'

  • #2
    Cummins 4BT

    Jonas,

    Let us know or email me on the contact if it works out I'm thinking of the same conversion and would appreciate a heads up on a source.
    Bill in MI

    Comment


    • #3
      Jonas.. I would also be interested in the contact info for the 4BT engines

      Comment


      • #4
        While you are waiting on Jonas to evaluate his purchase and his supplier...

        I purchased my 4BT from The Foote in Norfolk, Mass. Call and ask for Paul or Bryon Kass at 150 Mechanic St. Foxboro, MA 02035, 508-543-9068 v/fax or http://www.enginecom.com/cd.htm They have a large assortment of takeout diesels, transmissions and other parts from all sizes and makes of light to heavy trucks.

        I've heard good reviews about The Diesel Depot (also known as Avant Salvage). They are located in middle Georgia - Sandersville to be exact. The phone number is 1-800-553-8192. For small engines (6.2, 6.5, 4bt, etc) ask for Jamie Avant - for big truck stuff ask for Benny (Jamie's dad). 219 Waco Dr. or P.O. Box 228, Sandersville, GA 31082 E-mail at: avasalv@mylink.net

        I've also heard good reviews about Neosho Truck Parts in Neosho WI, about an hour westnorthwest of Milwaukee,
        920-625-3261, ask for Mark. He, under contract, junks out all the Frito delivery trucks (at least for the midwest) all of which have 4BT's or 4BTA's.

        Comment


        • #5
          Thanks Mr. Gabee. I had forgotten about your site.

          Bill in MI

          Comment


          • #6
            4bt cummings

            What's happening on the Frito Lay engine swap?How many horse power is that rated at?Thanks Dan djh46 @ juno.com

            Comment


            • #7
              Cummings 4BT

              Would a Chevy SM465 Transmission work with a Cummins 4TB motor?

              Comment


              • #8
                Yes you can...

                You can get a Cummins 4BT with a SM465 already installed out of a bread truck. Look for a Chevy P30 van. The thing that I dont like about the set up is that that the engine is canted 10 deg. off center. So it's like a slant 4 diesel engine.
                I dont know why they did it that way?
                I figure with the spicer 3053 transmission I can get the overdrive gear that I will want with the extra torque of the Cummins.
                With a direct final drive, 4.88 gear ratio, and 38" tires, at 60MPH your RPM is just under 2600 rpm. I think you want to have it around 1800 or 2000 RPM, and the 27% over drive will put it a 1850 RPM at 60 MPH.
                I'm basing that on what my 6BTA likes in a full size, 6500 lb truck. I have disc brakes in the Power Wagon already, but I'm just not sure I want to be doing 70 MPH in a '53 Power Wagon....
                Central Washington

                "Cowards die many deaths before their time.
                The Valiant never taste death but once"
                Shakespeare- 'Julius Cesear'

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Yes you can...

                  Originally posted by Jonas Smith
                  You can get a Cummins 4BT with a SM465 already installed out of a bread truck. Look for a Chevy P30 van. The thing that I dont like about the set up is that that the engine is canted 10 deg. off center. So it's like a slant 4 diesel engine.
                  I dont know why they did it that way?
                  I figure with the spicer 3053 transmission I can get the overdrive gear that I will want with the extra torque of the Cummins.
                  With a direct final drive, 4.88 gear ratio, and 38" tires, at 60MPH your RPM is just under 2600 rpm. I think you want to have it around 1800 or 2000 RPM, and the 27% over drive will put it a 1850 RPM at 60 MPH.
                  I'm basing that on what my 6BTA likes in a full size, 6500 lb truck. I have disc brakes in the Power Wagon already, but I'm just not sure I want to be doing 70 MPH in a '53 Power Wagon....
                  A Cummins 4BTA turns 2,000 RPM at 55MPH using the 3053A trans. & 4.89 ratio diff. gearing.
                  www.mseriesrebuild.com
                  Charles Talbert

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    NV4500 Bell Housing to Cummins ISB170

                    I just bought a brand spanking new Cummins 3.9L ISB170 off of eBay just last week. It is targeted for a 1957 Dodge Power Wagon truck. I want to mate it to an NV4500 5 speed. But, I am not having much luck figuring out what kind of Bell Housing will allow this to happen for under $1200 from Cummins. Does anyone know of a used Bell Housing I can get for this? It needs to have an SAE 3 pattern on the motor, and the NV4500 pattern for the transmission. I have not bought the NV4500 yet, because I am not sure what input shaft to get, Chevy or Dodge. And I am still wonderiong about using the long 2WD output of the Dodge, or the shorter Chevy output. I am trying to avoid having to use adaptors. Any one done this yet? You can email me at work at eugene.j.climer@tek.com or call me at 503-627-5774. Thanks!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Re: Yes you can...

                      Originally posted by Charles Talbert
                      A Cummins 4BTA turns 2,000 RPM at 55MPH using the 3053A trans. & 4.89 ratio diff. gearing.
                      thats with 38" tires. 35" tires is 2200rpm

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        4bt to nv4500

                        since a 4bt is just a 4 cyl version of the 6bt in the dodges, shouldn't a factory bellhousing out of a 94-01 dodge with nv4500 work? also, if it does try, www.car-part.com, they are good for locating stuff in decent junk yards.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          thats what i did on the belhousing, etc

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by CGarbee

                            I've heard good reviews about The Diesel Depot (also known as Avant Salvage). They are located in middle Georgia - Sandersville to be exact. The phone number is 1-800-553-8192. For small engines (6.2, 6.5, 4bt, etc) ask for Jamie Avant - for big truck stuff ask for Benny (Jamie's dad). 219 Waco Dr. or P.O. Box 228, Sandersville, GA 31082 E-mail at: avasalv@mylink.netI.
                            New user here. DARN!. That's EXACTLY the type of swap I've been thinking of how to do on another non-Dodge application as well. I've also got a decent 1976 PW project I'm looking at that would be perfect for such a swap.

                            Question though, before I call, can you give me/us a hint on how much these guys in Mid-Georgia would want for a cash-and-carry 4BT or 4BTA?. I've got a few folks over here in South Carolina that only want 500 bux or less for decent running 94 and earlier 6BT.

                            Thanks and apologize ahead of time for just jumpin' in here.

                            Bryan
                            Last edited by The Rage; 01-23-2006, 07:39 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              2500 for a 4bt

                              500 for a 12valve? buy it!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X