No announcement yet.

Question on a 92 350 4x4 TD w/ intercooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the invitation! My '02 (105K) has developed an 'issue' and I wondered if it had already been discussed, but, could not find any conversation. Hence the query to Gordon.
    My truck occasionally developes a 'dead' throttle; that is, cruising down the road I realize that the truck is slowing down but no change in my foot position. At this point I can pump the pedal as much as I like with no affect on the engine. I have learned that by backing off the throttle completely for 3-4 seconds that everything goes back to normal. I have also discovered that this condition can occur right from start-up, as when leaving my driveway. A Cummins rep said it is not an engine issue.
    Any thoughts

Comment

Sounds like you might first want to thoroughly check your throttle linkage. Have someone else work the pedal while you observe under the hood. Also make sure that any carpet, insulation or floor matting isn't causing a problem. Dumb as it may sound sometimes it is the simplest stuff causing a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by wayfarer View Post
        Thanks for the invitation! My '02 (105K) has developed an 'issue' and I wondered if it had already been discussed, but, could not find any conversation. Hence the query to Gordon.
        My truck occasionally developes a 'dead' throttle; that is, cruising down the road I realize that the truck is slowing down but no change in my foot position. At this point I can pump the pedal as much as I like with no affect on the engine. I have learned that by backing off the throttle completely for 3-4 seconds that everything goes back to normal. I have also discovered that this condition can occur right from start-up, as when leaving my driveway. A Cummins rep said it is not an engine issue.
        Any thoughts
        I don't want to scare you, but your Cummins Rep. is full of BS.
        The dead pedal is a very good sign that the IP (vp-44) is leaving you.
        It,may or may not be showing a code,but it will.
        I would get the Lift pump pressure checked,and replaced if needed. You might
        Save the IP.
        But I'm sure it's just a matter of time (short time) before it leaves you.
        Just my .02 worth
        TGP
        WDX & Misc. Pics.
        http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
        "47" Dodge WDX WW
        "52" Dodge M-37 WW
        "54" Willys M38A1
        "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
        "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
        "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
        "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
        "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"