Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Death wobble- just experienced it, yowse!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've experienced Death wobble in my '06 mega cab. And various Jeeps, trucks, etc etc. Coil sprung and leaf sprung. Its just a Harmonic imbalance between the tires and is amplified, or allowed to amplify by ANY slack in steering, tracking, or suspension components that will allow the transfer of shake from one steering tire to the other.
    1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

Death Wobble

I experienced the death wobble with 40,000 miles on my 1996 Dodge Diesel. It had the original shocks steering dampener and the original tires.
      I replaced the shocks with Bilstein shocks a Monroe dampener and new Goodyear Wrangler ATs. I have not had it since, it currently has 257,000 miles onit
      Rich Szklany

Comment

Update on the death wobble.
        I experienced it AGAIN last winter! Not fun (this was the third time it has happened).
        With an under truck inspection, I found the Luke's Link had loosened up on me again, for the 2nd time!
        After reading/researching a lot on the Turbo Diesel Registry site and magazine, I decided to get the Solid Steel 3rd generation Dodge Track Bar, with the the bracket to convert to use in a 2nd generation truck like mine.
        It is rock solid now. Everyone who have got one of these has been very happy (TDR forum). I am confident this is a more permanent fix. I have had it on for two months now.
        Lesson learned- the Luke's Link is sort of a "band aid". If you have one you need to do regular underneath inspections of it to make sure it has remained tight. If you don't, it WILL loosen up on you, and as we all know, the Death Wobble happens at the worst time. In hindsight I wish I had just gone to the SS track bar and not used the Luke's Link at all.
        Note, many people have loose parts in their front ends and have never had the death wobble. I would imagine many of these are farm or ranch trucks, which don't go over 40 or 50 mph. Take a truck like this out on a 4 lane free way, one with some pot holes and railroad tracks, etc. Hit these imperfections at 60-65 mph. Then you will see if you truly have "slop" in your front end.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Dave View Post
          Update on the death wobble.
          I experienced it AGAIN last winter! Not fun (this was the third time it has happened).
          With an under truck inspection, I found the Luke's Link had loosened up on me again, for the 2nd time!
          After reading/researching a lot on the Turbo Diesel Registry site and magazine, I decided to get the Solid Steel 3rd generation Dodge Track Bar, with the the bracket to convert to use in a 2nd generation truck like mine.
          It is rock solid now. Everyone who have got one of these has been very happy (TDR forum). I am confident this is a more permanent fix. I have had it on for two months now.
          Lesson learned- the Luke's Link is sort of a "band aid". If you have one you need to do regular underneath inspections of it to make sure it has remained tight. If you don't, it WILL loosen up on you, and as we all know, the Death Wobble happens at the worst time. In hindsight I wish I had just gone to the SS track bar and not used the Luke's Link at all.
          Note, many people have loose parts in their front ends and have never had the death wobble. I would imagine many of these are farm or ranch trucks, which don't go over 40 or 50 mph. Take a truck like this out on a 4 lane free way, one with some pot holes and railroad tracks, etc. Hit these imperfections at 60-65 mph. Then you will see if you truly have "slop" in your front end.
          Did this track bar improve your steering in any other way?
          Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Not that I can see. I never had that much of a problem with steering wander or other steering issues, just the death wobble. Nevertheless, along with the new style track bar, I added a steering stabilizer to help protect the steering box, and hopefully prevent future steering problems as experienced by many.
            PSC makes these stabilizers now for significantly less than the original ones made by Solid Steel. They appear to be a copy of the DSS.
            These are very easy to install. They basically isolate the bottom of the steering box in a bearing, by replacing the stock nut with an elongated version that fits in a bearing that is added.
            In contrast, the 3rd gen track bar is a little tricky to install the first time. If anyone is going to get one, I have a few tips I learned in the process.

Comment

Nevertheless, along with the new style track bar, I added a steering stabilizer to help protect the steering box, and hopefully prevent future steering problems as experienced by many.
              PSC makes these stabilizers now for significantly less than the original ones made by Solid Steel. They appear to be a copy of the DSS.
              These are very easy to install. They basically isolate the bottom of the steering box in a bearing, by replacing the stock nut with an elongated version that fits in a bearing that is added.
              In contrast, the 3rd gen track bar is a little tricky to install the first time. If anyone is going to get one, I have a few tips I learned in the process.
              Where did you get the new style track bar, and bracket, also where did you get the added stabilizer. I have a 1997 4x4 diesel that does not have the death wobble but does wander back and forth really bad wondering if these would help?

Comment

I got the track bar from Source Automotive.
                FOr the DSS, look on ebay under Dodge Steering Stabilizer, or Dodge steering brace. PSC sells them there inexpensively. It does not say PSC on the ebay listing, but that is who makes them, sold out of Texas. They are performance steering components.

Comment

Working...
                X