Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is the ultimate? metal prep/rust prevention?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is the ultimate? metal prep/rust prevention?

I have had some experience with sandblasting to prep for paint. and found it to be better suited for frame and axles, and I was less content with the amount of black beauty that ended up in every recess of body panel that I used it on.. and it was less than useful for getting to the back side of something that could not be taken apart...

Is there a better way? Does anyone have any practical experience with acid dipping? I would like for the sheet metal to remain rust free once this project is completed, especially the hard to reach areas that seem to rust first.

How about electrolysis?

I am asking in regards to a cab restoration/repair of the Sweptline era truck.

I would appreciate hearing your concerns, opinions, experience or support for your favorite method, or what to stay away from.

Metal prep

Hello i read your post concerning prep work for body work and paint. I have only ever used sandblasting and bead blasting for removeal of rust grime under coating etc. This method has worked well for me some areas took longer and some additional hand work was necessary in tight places. Extra time spent in the removeal of any build up will help cut the time spent blasting , clean up is alot of the work when removing the sand and dirt from all the places you can't reach when you are done but a good compressor has worked well for me. Just my two cents Rick Walker.

Comment

I agree that blasting is a good option for the places that can be seen.. or disassembled.

How about the inside of rocker panels? What is the best way to prevent rust from coming from the inside out?

Comment

stripping

If you look in Hemmings, there are a few places who will dip parts to remove paint. If I remember right they can electrify the solution and it will remove every speck of rust as well. I looked into it for my bed a few years ago, but the nearest shop was hours away and it was pricey.

Comment

Dipping would probably be the only 100% solution. The electrolosys only removes rust. Not sure it will have any effect on painted surfaces. Though if the paint is good enough to prevent rusting it's good enough to leave usually.

As for prep, there are some solutions that can be used to help protect the metal short or long term, but you'd have to be careful on how it works with your paint system.

The best option I've seen for prep would be powder coat primer. Saw it on one of the car shows. It's a primer coat but applied like powder. The advantage beeing if they can get the powder into the cavity it will stick and then bake out. Short of dipping it in a paint vat like the factory it's about your best option IMO.

Hard part would be finding someone to do either one.

Comment

Powder coating.. I am liking the sound of that, and up until now considered it to be "not for me" based upon my ignorance of it's benefits.

And I am wanting to consider dipping, although it may be unrealistic in terms of a smart expenditure of funds for the overall value of the project..

Comment

Working...
            X