Disk Brakes??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disk Brakes??

So It has come to brakes, I want to get better stooping power out of the old girl and it looks like I am going to disks in the front.

Before I go the distance on this one does aneyone have aney speshil advise on bleading the brakes beyond the mil-spec manual I know there are a bunch of you out there that know a **** of a lot more about this then me?

And what is the best disk brake conversion kit if i do go to disks?

So what is the braking news?

Andrew
    1951 M37

Disc conversion

www.uglytruckling.com

Comment

As far as bleeding goes, get yourself a cheapo plant sprayer, and make an adapter with a hose barb to screw into your master cylinder. Dump a quart of brake fluid into the sprayer, pressurize, and lock down the sprayer wand valve. Be sure your connection to the MC hose is tight, because you'll spray brake fluid in all directions if it blows off. Your adapter to the MC will leak a bit, because the threads are not taper seal, but a pan underneath will catch the leak. Then go to the passenger side rear and crack the bleeder til you get clear bubble-free fluid in your line. Move to the driver rear, repeat, then do the front. With pressure bleeding, the job gets done real quick. You do have to watch the level in the sprayer- best use 2 qts. Doing it manually is a nightmare- you'll have thighs like Conan the Barbarian by the time you're done.

Front disc brakes are definitely the way to go if you spend any time at all on the road. You need to take the residual pressure valve out of the MC (the perforated plate and rubber flap at the front), and buy a 5 lb inline RP valve to splice into the rear brake line. Failure to remove the RP valve from the MC will lead to red hot discs- they'll be applied ALL the time, and failure to have an RP in the rear will lead to a LOOONG apply time for your drums- the valve keeps the shoes out against spring pressure.

Comment

Grate info, I was wondering if the master cylinder would have to be replaced to accommodate disks, I ges that solves that, how do the new disks feel? what is the new pedal travil?

Comment

Pedal travel is the same as stock on my truck, no need to change MC's unless you need power assist for higher road speeds than 45. Keep in mind that most of today's cars can stop a lot shorter than you at city driving speeds, so allow enough braking distance.

Comment

Working...
          X