Power Steering Walk Through

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hydraulic Pump for Power Steering and Plow Lift

I have started a Saginaw reverse rotation power steering conversion on one of my m37s. This is a yard truck, that works up back on the mountain and NEVER goes on public roads. Like Doakster, I want to power the PS and Plow off one pump. The plan is to use a hydraulic control valve with "power beyond" for the plow lift. This should in theory, pass high pressure hydraulics through to the power steering pump. I suspect, the steering will be affected during plow actuation. (like, no power maybe?) Has anyone done this or have any ideas? I sure wish I could get my hands on the April 89 Tim Peterson article. (Gordon hint-hint).

Comment

I may also offer it as a reproduced back issue if there is enough demand for it.
      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

April 89 T. Peterson article on M Series Power Steering

Gordon,
        I would be delighted to purchase a reproduced back issue. That's one, how many more would you need to make it worth while?
        Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Tighe View Post
          Gordon,
          I would be delighted to purchase a reproduced back issue. That's one, how many more would you need to make it worth while?
          Kevin
          I may have an answer to your question before the rally, otherwise it will be after. I am exploring a way to get them made in smaller quantities at a more reasonable price. I don't want to have to have several hundred copies made, which then would sit in a box.

Comment

I have started a Saginaw reverse rotation power steering conversion on one of my m37s. This is a yard truck, that works up back on the mountain and NEVER goes on public roads. Like Doakster, I want to power the PS and Plow off one pump. The plan is to use a hydraulic control valve with "power beyond" for the plow lift. This should in theory, pass high pressure hydraulics through to the power steering pump. I suspect, the steering will be affected during plow actuation. (like, no power maybe?) Has anyone done this or have any ideas? I sure wish I could get my hands on the April 89 Tim Peterson article. (Gordon hint-hint).
            All you need is a Vickers V-10 pump set up with primary and secondary pressure outlets. Set the primary at 3 gallons a minute for the steering and run the plow off the secondary port, you will have plenty of flow and pressure for both functions without hendering either one. We can supply this pump if you need it.

Comment

There is no reference to the pump in the article because it was not known what the engine in the reader's truck would be. Tim used a Chrysler pump in his truck for the 360 dodge and later the 440.

Frank

Comment

Saginaw RR Power Steering Box for M Series

I have a good looking PS box from a Chevy Van that looks just like the 70s Dodge reverse rotation Saginaw except it uses Metric O-Ring fittings on the hoses. There are several suppliers with the right hose adapters on the web. Because the Chevy doesn't have the angle bracket like the Dodge 4X4s, I'm looking for details on the bracket fabrication. I can weld something up okay but I'd just like to see how others have done it. The Chevy had a short shaft with 2 universal joints that looks like it will work but I could use the steering column bearing mounting details. It sure would be helpful to have some photos.
                I just put 4 new Michelin 11.00 X 16s on fabricated tubeless rims. For the centers I used 1932 Ford Model BB wheels. 28- 31 Ford AA would work too. The bolt pattern is the same as Power Wagons, you just need to enlarge the center hole for the hub.

Comment

Vickers V-10 Hydraulic pump

Charles Talbert suggests: "All you need is a Vickers V-10 pump set up with primary and secondary pressure outlets". I am not familiar with of that kind of pump. I gather that it is like two pumps in one? That is a great solution, but is sounds like it might be expensive. This project is grappling with budget creep. Are there some common applications for such a pump that might be gotten at salvage?

Comment

Charles Talbert suggests: "All you need is a Vickers V-10 pump set up with primary and secondary pressure outlets". I am not familiar with of that kind of pump. I gather that it is like two pumps in one? That is a great solution, but is sounds like it might be expensive. This project is grappling with budget creep. Are there some common applications for such a pump that might be gotten at salvage?
                    A good way to stay below the radar at the war department.

Comment

These pumps can be set up for anything from 2 gallons a minute up to 6. 3 GPM is what is needed for the Saganaw box, it is not 2 pumps in one, but simply uses the flow that is in excess of the 3 GPM required for steering for another function. The excess flow is simply routed from the pump via a secondary circuit port. If it is not needed for another function, it just flows back to the reservoir. The pump is also available without the secondary circuit if that is not needed for another function. We have used these as a combination power supply for steering and hydraulic brake booster functions. In some applications we have routed flow from the secondary circuit through a filter and oil cooler before returning flow to the reservoir. They are commonly used on heavier trucks, however when used in these applications they are set up for a 6 GPM flow rate. This much flow in your application is too much flow and pressure going to the steering gear and would cause major over heating in the system because of flow restriction. For this reason it would likely be impossible to pick one up from salvage that would be set correctly for your application.

If you are interested, give me a call with specifics of how you would like to drive and mount the pump. I can get you a price together for what you would need to best fit your application, you will then know if it fits your budget. I have some in stock, but ours are set up for the 9 tooth direct spline drive used on a Cummins, I imagine you would want to belt drive yours. I can give you physical size dimensions of the pump and can email a photo of the one we use so you know what it looks like. It's a very compact unit that will work great for what you are trying to accomplish, all you would need to add is a control valve for the plow function.

Comment

Working...
                      X