Hello from the north.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from the north.

Just bought a ’52 M-37 for a winter project. It’s been used, abused and neglected but still moves under its own power (barely). Has spent the last 30 years of service in a semi-marine environment with a huge crane/boom device (a real Rube Goldberg design) welded to the frame and extending over the came. The bed was butchered with an axe of some sort to make holes for the RG boom to be welded to the frame. Then 1500lbs of concrete was added to the bed as a counterweight. That, thankfully wasn’t there when I bought the truck but the damage had already been done. Its job was to lift light aircraft up so as to change from floats to wheels to skis each spring and fall. The engine is very tired, 55psi compression at the low end and 85 at the top. This project will not be a restoration but rather a rebuild to a useful truck that will be maintained properly. I will be asking questions and seeking advice as we plod along this winter.

Regards,
    Paul
    Wasilla, Alaska

Pic Some Pic's

Welcome Aboard Paul!
    You've come to the right place!

Comment

Originally posted by Northwind View Post
      Just bought a ’52 M-37 for a winter project. It’s been used, abused and neglected but still moves under its own power (barely). Has spent the last 30 years of service in a semi-marine environment with a huge crane/boom device (a real Rube Goldberg design) welded to the frame and extending over the came. The bed was butchered with an axe of some sort to make holes for the RG boom to be welded to the frame. Then 1500lbs of concrete was added to the bed as a counterweight. That, thankfully wasn’t there when I bought the truck but the damage had already been done. Its job was to lift light aircraft up so as to change from floats to wheels to skis each spring and fall. The engine is very tired, 55psi compression at the low end and 85 at the top. This project will not be a restoration but rather a rebuild to a useful truck that will be maintained properly. I will be asking questions and seeking advice as we plod along this winter.

Regards,
      Paul
      Wasilla, Alaska
      Welcome to the group. We will be ready when you are...
      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Gee, is this by any chance the M-37 that sat at lake hood?

Comment

Yup, that's the one alright

Comment

Working...
          X