out with the old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gsmith View Post
    I've only recently used Stabil so I can't speak for lasting, but gas mixed for 2 cycle service seems to last for a good while, I've got some that's around 2 years old and is still good. Doesn't smell bad, no visible separation or anything. Anyone else had this experience?
    yes, i never dump any gas out. even when i drag junk home that is has been 2 years in a field the old gas comes out of it and into one of my other trucks to mix with whatever good gas is in there. I am using the last of 2 gal of 50:1 mix gas i mixed up last spring and my saw is running great. I filled my welder'generator up last OCT and didn't have any power outages all winter €and I am still running it on that same tank right now and have no problems.
    I have been told that larger volumes of fuel will stay good longer than small volumes. Seems to be true. If my bike won't start in the spring I drain the carbs and then let them refill with fuel from the tank and it seems to start better.
    I wonder what is making charles have so many problems, maybe the fuel blend is different in the south or the higher humididty causes more water to be absorbed into the fuel.

conversely as good of luck as I have had with gas i have had equal bad luck with diesel. mold water gel in winter. anymore i run 30% kerosene with my diesel.

Comment

Originally posted by Gsmith View Post
      I've only recently used Stabil so I can't speak for lasting, but gas mixed for 2 cycle service seems to last for a good while, I've got some that's around 2 years old and is still good. Doesn't smell bad, no visible separation or anything. Anyone else had this experience?
      I've noticed the same thing, BUT how do we actually know that it is indeed still good? I can't 2nd guess it, neither can you, and after seeing what stale gas can do, it isn't worth the risk to me. When I have chain sawing to do, I try to mix just what I need as close as I can and don't keep it in storage longer than a month or so.

Comment

Originally posted by gusbratz View Post
        yes, i never dump any gas out. even when i drag junk home that is has been 2 years in a field the old gas comes out of it and into one of my other trucks to mix with whatever good gas is in there. I am using the last of 2 gal of 50:1 mix gas i mixed up last spring and my saw is running great. I filled my welder'generator up last OCT and didn't have any power outages all winter €and I am still running it on that same tank right now and have no problems.
        I have been told that larger volumes of fuel will stay good longer than small volumes. Seems to be true. If my bike won't start in the spring I drain the carbs and then let them refill with fuel from the tank and it seems to start better.
        I wonder what is making charles have so many problems, maybe the fuel blend is different in the south or the higher humididty causes more water to be absorbed into the fuel.

conversely as good of luck as I have had with gas i have had equal bad luck with diesel. mold water gel in winter. anymore i run 30% kerosene with my diesel.
        Just keep leaving the door open into the wind, it will catch your fingers one day. We used to never have issues either, and I have done exactly what you said you do 10,000 times; then all of a sudden things changed. I'm satisfied that fuel is very different in different areas of the country. This same arguement has been hashed here #'s of times with some swaring I'm nuts over and over. Whatever, all I can do is warn you of impending disaster. It's totally up to the individual whether or not you heed the warning. I hope you never have the chance to see it progress to the point that we have seen; but if you do, I feel for you.

Comment

fuel help

I used to have problem with water in my fuel on the m37, I removed the stock fuel filter (useless) and replaced it with a marine version with a spin on cartridge from a local marina, no more problems. The filter is made by mallory with bracket it cost a little over thirty dollars. Now my problem is it's filling up with flakes of gas tank sealer, this time i'll use Renu

Comment

Phase separation.....

"was amazed to see two distinctly different appearing liquids. About 30% was clear like water or vodka and was on the bottom. The balance was orange, kind of like dark colored gasoline and was on the top. "

My M37 would not start after about 4 - 5 weeks. The engine would sputter for a brief second or two at first, then nothing. After checking all the obvious things, fuel and spark, I called Charles at M Series. He kindly offered advice about fuel separation. I drained the tank and sure enough, it looked just like Kevin T describes above. Exactly! Since, then its nothing but fresh gas and fairly easy starting.

Comment

I'm in total agreement with the gas going bad in short order. I've been down that road with my M37 and my Willys wagon. Funny though, as I mentioned 2 cycle mix seems to be a different story. I drained year and a half old gas out of my boat gas tank 6 months ago and it still seems fine. As Charles mentioned though I'm assuming it is, based on my results of using it.

Comment

Working...
              X