Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uh-Oh!

Comment

• I did my transfer case a few months ago. I can help if you want, I'm near Annapolis. A bit of grease on those bearings makes it duck soup. There is also a manual available online to tell you how to do it. It is not too hard. I also have a spare if you need one.

regards

Wayne

Comment

• Originally posted by jrodjared View Post
        These little roller bearings were pouring out all over the place. I have no idea how you even get them back in. This is going to be quite the crash course. Carter, you out there buddy?
        Yeah I'm here, maybe we can get together as discussed in our emails.

Comment

• Originally posted by wayneh View Post
          I did my transfer case a few months ago. I can help if you want, I'm near Annapolis. A bit of grease on those bearings makes it duck soup. There is also a manual available online to tell you how to do it. It is not too hard. I also have a spare if you need one.

regards

Wayne
          Just might take you up on the offer. Thanks!

Comment

• Decided to tackle the transmission today so I can finish my parts list. Actually learned a thing or two about the way the work!

Figured I should take a picture of it before it comes apart.

Three different screw sizes. Better take a pic to remember which way they came out.

Pulling the top cover off of the transmission.

Comment

• Figured I would try to get some of the grease off by loading it in the parts washer. Didn't work so well.

I then brought it outside and sprayed it with the heated power washer. Man that thing worked great.

A closer look at the innards.

Comment

• One more look at the top with all the shift arms, or whatever you call them.

After I blew the trans dry with compressed air, I wet it down with PB Blast to keep it from rusting. I plan on replacing the seals and gaskets, but it doesn't look like I need to go too crazy here.

Like I was saying earlier, it was really cool to move the trans through the gears by hand and see how it all worked. Everything makes a lot more sense now :-)

Comment

• I'm not sure how picky you are, but I really hate minor drips and such.. Maybe I should not have bought a PW... Anyway, my suggestion is that it would be good insurance to install speedi sleeves on the input and output shafts, and use double lipped seals when you replace those seals. Also, every place where they drilled a hole in the case transmission fluid will leak out... even the reverse gear idler shaft... So unless you are ok with minor leaks make sure you seal up tight any opening....

I was a bit concerned that the transmission was over my head too, but at least for the NP420 if you do a Google search for TM 9-2520-232-35 you can find the depot maintainance manual on line. It is well written and breaks the transmission down into sub-assemblies, making it easy.

Also, if you need the C clip that goes on the clutch gear it is available from truckparts inc when you buy the small parts kit for a NP435. It also comes with the shims you need to set the clearance on the syncros if you have a syncro trans.

Wayne

Comment

• Minor leaks are part of their charm. I really hate it that my dog poops on the lawn, but.... it's part of the deal!
                    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

• The old Dodge is not leaking its just marking its territory !

Comment

Houston, we have a problem.
                        The rollers go into the big gear in two rows seperated by that metal washer. You can see the line on the inside of the gear where the washer was. As Wayneh stated, dip them in some grease and they'll stick in place while you put it all back together.

Also, might want to paint the interior with some Glyptol like the transmission. Will help to seal any porosity in the casting and speed oil drainback. Plus keep any surface rust from forming while it sits waiting to be used.

The greasy stuff isn't fun, but the the nastier it is the better it looks when you're done!

Comment

• Today I met wayneh at his place for a little Power Wagon guidance. It's great that we were able to meet up through this site. He actually lives quite close and is a wealth of knowledge, especially since he just rebuilt his own transfer case on his '56? civilian power wagon. Wayne, you HAVE to post pictures of that beauty. I looked around on here to see if there were any, but couldn't find them. I'll let him be the proud papa, but all I can say about it is wow.

Wayne helped me break down the rest of the transfer case. Here are some pics.

Documenting the position of the shift forks.

Using a highly sophisticated idler arms removal device.

After multiple smacks with the hammer, we decided to just go for the press.

Comment

• Finally got the idler arm pushed out, took a pic before removing the gears.

Upon inspection, there was a lot of this grease grit build up inside the idler arm, right where there spacer went. Not sure what this stuff was. Dirt? Rust? How did it get in there?

Closer shot at the dirt. It wiped off fairly easy.

Comment

• Last shot at the bench.

Next step is to continue cleaning. Wayne and I inspected all of the parts I received from Vintage Power Wagon, and it looks like we are on the right track. One thing I neglected to take a picture of were the shift levers. They were in really bad shape on the outside. All kinds of pitting. I know guys were talking on here about the stainless steel ones. I'm probably going to investigate that route, it's just they are so darn expensive! The two shift levers and the thrust washer is going to be like $300+. That's a lot of cash, so I have to see what the alternatives are.

Also, debating if I should coat the inside with Glyptol? It already has a coating still in tact, should I leave well enough alone? I'm going to be using a soda blaster to clean it up a bit, I don't know how abrasive it will be.

Wayne, thanks again for your help today. Post pics of the blue wagon!

Comment

Finally got the idler arm pushed out, took a pic before removing the gears.

Upon inspection, there was a lot of this grease grit build up inside the idler arm, right where there spacer went. Not sure what this stuff was. Dirt? Rust? How did it get in there?

Closer shot at the dirt. It wiped off fairly easy.
                                Some really great photos!
                                Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Working...
                                X