No announcement yet.

1962 M37 Newbie in Maryland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jared: great to meet you, thanks for dropping by.
    We are still without commercial power and internet here!!

I will post a few pics when the power is back!! Let me know when you get all the transfer case parts cleaned up and we can spend a couple of hours putting it together. If I was to do mine over I'd get the stainless shafts from Charles. I have one tiny bit of seepage at one shift rail. (Gordon calls it something else...)

Let me me know when you are ready to finish it up!

Wayne

(From my dumb fone....)

Comment

• Jared: After what seemed like forever (five days) our power did come back on. So it is back to 72 degrees in the shop now without the generator running!!

I think you missed the best part of our work this past weekend... Using the snap on stud pullers to take out the studs from the transfer case. As you can tell, I appreciate quality tools, and that stud remover is the best thing I've ever seen for doing that. Charlie at Charlies Machine Shop in Glen Burnie showed them to me when he was resurfacing my manifolds.

Anyway, let me know when you have all the gears and innerds of the trasnfer case cleaned up and looking nice. Putting it all back together is a one evening job. And, even though Gordon calls it charm, my transfer case is not leaking, weaping or dripping. After three tries... (get the new shift rails.... wish I had)

Wayne

Comment

• It's still charming in other ways....
        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

• Hey Wayne,

The one day I had free this week I went down to the Auto Skills shop here on post, and they were closed due to extreme heat! It figures, haha now I have to wait until they open again on Wednesday, if I can get over there. I have this huge project I am working on at work this week, and then I am going to take a few days leave to get some serious work done on the truck.

And yes, I agree the stud puller was quite amazing! Right tool for the right job. I'm going to try to get the shift rails and washer this week. I've also got everything I need to get the rest of the t-case cleaned, so I will be in touch. Thanks again for all your help! Glad your power finally came back.

Comment

• Jared:

I'm not familiar with the shop on base, but if they have a lathe, you might be able to make up your own stainless shift rails. I'm guessing it is common stock, and the rod is readily available locally.

I might be able to help out Wednesday, but I could not make it much before 1800.

Wayne

Comment

• Really nice project you have.
              Keep it up.
              -ick

Comment

• Thank ickety!

Wayne, did some cleaning today, trying to get on track. Been tied up with a huge project for work, but now I'm back, and ready. Here are a few shots from today:

Used the heated pressure washer to cut through the grease of all the individual parts of the T-case.

Here's a pic of the beautiful machine.

Cleaning each nut and bolt by hand with some de-greaser first, then the wire wheel. Debating if I should replace any of it. It all seems like it's in pretty good shape (if I have all the pieces when I put it back together!)

Comment

• A place for everything, and everything in it's place.

Going to try to get back there Wednesday when they re-open to do some soda blasting on the individual pieces that need some work, and clean up the hardware a bit. Wayne, you going to be around on Wednesday? Stop by after 1800?

Since I have come this far, I was thinking of going the Glyptol route. Is that something I can buy locally? Or online only? I know Eastwood sells it, it would just be better if I can pick it up.

Comment

• Jared: Looking good! From what I saw, your parts did not have much wear on them, unlike mine. I hope you don't get any surface rust on them after you clean them. Paula and I were finally able to finish up my leather transmission cover today.
                    Keep in mind you need shift rails for your transfer case before we finish up.

Wayne

Comment

• Originally posted by wayneh View Post
                      Jared: Looking good! From what I saw, your parts did not have much wear on them, unlike mine. I hope you don't get any surface rust on them after you clean them. Paula and I were finally able to finish up my leather transmission cover today.
                      Keep in mind you need shift rails for your transfer case before we finish up.

Wayne
                      Right, need to get them ordered this week. On it. Any thoughts on the Glyptol?

Comment

• I'm by no means an expert on that end, but since the original paint in there looks ok and they were not full of mud and goop, I might take a pass on it. Now it sure would look nice on the inside for that one last picture before you close it up if you did that!

Wayne

Comment

• Called Charles today, dropping the check in the mail for the shift rails. More cleaning tomorrow. Pics to follow.

Comment

• Ft Meade 407 HEM CO & 13 Engineers'68 -'70

Originally posted by jrodjared View Post
                            Yup, still active duty, I was thinking of taking a ride over to the motor pool on post. What do you think the chances of them having any parts for the M37 could be? I think it's a pretty far fetched shot, but why not? Wouldn't it be funny if I asked them, and they were like "funny you should say that..." and lead me to the 'Ye Old Parts Room"! Hahaha
                            Brings back days gone by, Good luck with the M37

Comment

• Got down to work today, finally was able to put in a full days work. I did some more blasting, then cleaned all the parts with acetone.

Taped up some of the holes. Don't want paint going where a gasket is going to sit. I laid it on thick at first.

Then I trimmed it down with a razor blade.

First coat of primer in the can (or out...)

Comment

• Can't forget about the yokes!

While I had the soda-blaster going, I wanted to use up the rest of the media I had, so grabbed these drive shafts. The thing really is quite remarkable! As you can see, it really does a nice job. The one on the left is about 5 minutes of blasting. The one on the right, well, needs about 5 minutes of blasting.

Comment

Working...
                                X