No announcement yet.

1962 M37 Newbie in Maryland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just documenting everything before I tear it apart. What a friggin mess.

Comment

• Gross

Comment

• I think there was some water in here, but overall everything seems to be in solid shape. Granted I don't really know what I am looking at, but if I had to guess I would say we have something to work with.

Comment

• Interesting little brass bushing. I shall replace it with a conventional bearing.

Serviceable? mm, probably not.

Comment

• Comment

• Need to get serious here. Can't get these bearings off.

This ended up being a little too big. We used one about 1/3 the size, it did the trick.

Had to resort to the saws-all.

Comment

• Maybe we can coax it off with some heat?

Or maybe we can just pulverize it with an acetylene torch.

Comment

• Discovered that these mounting plates were welded to the axle. The other side's brackets came right off. Is this normal?

No problem on this side.

There she is, all stripped down. Time to clean!

Comment

• Some pieces after being wire-wheeled, soda blasted and primed.

Got some work to do here.

Comment

• Pulling apart the 3rd member.

Comment

• Noticed some interesting markings. Guess this has something to do with the 5.9 gear ratio?

Put my girlfriend Kim to work on the wire wheel.

Me working with the soda blaster. Love that thing, but boy does it make a mess.

Comment

• Comment

• After much grinding and blasting, the first layers of primer are applied. I love this part.

Comment

• Comment

• Jarad: Hey, you are going to be the expert now in Maryland on Front axles! Mine needs work too! Sorry I missed your text message this week, our Uncle has me working late every day. Are you putting the front axle back together yet?? The bronze bushing does not "look" to worn, but I think most folks replace it with bearings. I'll txt you my work number, if I'm inside my cell does not work.

Say... Should I dare ask about the RV.... We could get it on the range and use it for some target practice....

Wayne

Comment

Working...
                                X