No announcement yet.

1962 M37 Newbie in Maryland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The tree items in the 1st photo in post #69 are the radiator front upper/grill covers. Two with hood safety latch holes, one with out.
    I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
    Will
    WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
    1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
    1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
    1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
    2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Originally posted by W_A_Watson_II View Post
      The tree items in the 1st photo in post #69 are the radiator front upper/grill covers. Two with hood safety latch holes, one with out.
      Ha Ha Ha ,you are absolutly right. Thats funny , every time I open the hood there it is . Sometimes when you see something out of context it does not register right away.
      I had my cowling vent out and replaced all the rubber and hose and it still leakes water in the cab if I get stuck in the rain. Seeing the parts that looked like water drains made me think my 37 was missing something.It still may be missing something but not the radiator shield.

Comment

Well either way I've got three of them! Putting this thing back together is gonna be an adventure.

Comment

Hey guys, been busy working on some not so interesting stuff in the rebuild process. I had to relocate my work area. Luckily, a friend I made at the shop let me set up in his backyard. Only problem was, I needed a covered area to set up and work in. Kind of hard to do a restore when parts keep getting rained on! I didn't have a garage or barn, so what's the next best thing? A garage in a box:

Total cost with shipping about $500

Setting it up

Completed

Comment

We had to move the frame, which was a bit of a challenge with the steering column removed, but it wasn't too bad:

Loading the chassis with a little help from M-Haul

Following the truck to its new home a few miles away

My friend Cliff pushing the frame into place with his Bobcat. That thing worked the frame like it was a toy

Comment

Here is Roy. Dropped the cab off to him last week. He does amazing work bringing old panels and parts back to life. The entire bottom of the cab is rusted out, but he seems confident he can fix it!

I also left him the windshield. While talking to him, I told him my dilemma with the motor. The guy I had working on it never did a thing and pretty much left me high and dry. In need of a power plant, I was talking to him about the possibility of doing a 318 swap, but wasn't sure where I could get a decent motor in the area. Low and behold, we were standing right next to one under a tarp he pulled from a van! Roy offered it to me for $200! He said he would even hook it up and start it for me on the ground just to make sure it's working right. How can you beat that?

Now the fun of doing a conversion begins :-)

Comment

I also went to the Redball Military Show up in Gilbert PA today. Was so consumed with the stuff for sale I didn't snap any photos, but will take some of all the parts I picked up later this week when I have a chance to sort it out. Best find though was a guy who had a "box of bolts" he sold me for $10. In it were bolts... and body mounts, washers, clips, nuts, and a ton of other little goodies. It was late in the day and he just didn't want to take it home!! Sweet.

Comment

The garage is a good idea, I think. It looks pretty well built. What kind of wind resistance does it have?

Comment

Originally posted by JStinson View Post
                    The garage is a good idea, I think. It looks pretty well built. What kind of wind resistance does it have?
                    I was reading a lot of reviews and people said it was withstanding some pretty harsh weather. I purchased four more ratchets and anchored the corners with augers, so I don't think it's going anywhere. Only time will tell I guess?

Comment

Finally got a chance to post some pictures of the parts I picked up this past weekend at the Redball Military Show.

Lots of randon hardware. Bag of NOS lock washers for $5, bolts for 25 cents, etc.

Gillespie 2087 OD Green. Picked up 4 gallons and 8 spray cans.

This may have been THE BEST find of the weekend. A box of original, cleaned bolts and hardware for the M-37. I wanted just the bolts, but they guy said $10 for the whole box! How can you beat that?

Comment

Rear wheel seals, bumpstops, transfer case seal, brake pedal bushing, window seal, clutch bearing

More bump stops

Weather seal and firewall grommet

Overall I spend about $450. Probably a few more parts I didn't get pics of. These shows are great because you can add up a ton of stuff, and when they say $144, you say 'how about $130' and you have yourself a deal. Plus, no shipping :-)

Comment

Lots of good stuff for money spent Jared, all will come in handy when it's time to reassemble the M. I love new bolts, always buy them wherever I see them, sometimes even at gun shows. Never know what might turn up.

Comment

It's All Good!

Great Catch Jared! Who did you get the paint from?
                            Hey Carter, Howz things, better I hope?
                            Last edited by Bruce; 09-27-2011, 03:25 PM. Reason: More Cypher'n

Comment

Hey Bruce, things are starting to go a little better, like they used to tell me in AA "One day at a time" : )

Comment

Hey Bruce

Someone local to PA. Name escapes me. $34 a gallon.

Comment

Working...
                                X