No announcement yet.

Cry baby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The fact that they are so complicated has me thinking they are less interesting. My old Jeeps and Dodges are interesting, I like the simplicity of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
      I don't sense that kids are as interested in automotive matters as much as they once were. Am I wrong?

I have to admit, I think automobiles are less interesting than they were when I was a kid.
      I think both statements are true.

When I was nearing the age of getting a driver's license, we had to be mechanics if we expected to drive anything. What ever you could afford was certain to need work. If we didn't have incentive to learn what made it tick; well we would have been walking more than riding, plain and simple. Now days, a car is just a given for most kids, making the video gaming system much more an item of interest. Are automobiles less interesting than they used to be; sure they are. Anything is less interesting when you know you do not have a part in making it perform in order to do something else you do have interest in.

I think it boils down to this; I wanted to do things when I was growing up, certain other things like a way to get mobile had to come into play to make that happen. In my case as with most others of my age at the time; either you got motivated and interested in making a ride a reality, or you spent Saturday evenings on the porch with the hound dog. It was also true that we didn't really have anywhere to go, but it sure was a heart breaker if we couldn't get there.

Anyone else come through these times??

Comment

I did. My first car cost me $50 and needed lots of repairs which I had to learn how to do. My father taught me, but I did the work and paid for the parts [...and the car] with money I made sacking groceries at the local store.
        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Me too. My first car was a 1949 (or 51, I'm not sure) chevrolet pickup. The guy at the junk yard gave it to me and said I could have it if I could get it running. I did just that but it's a dang good thing that truck didn't have any electrical problems. My first girlfriend thought it was a cool ride too. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Gsmith View Post
            My wife generally knows 3 terms, Jeep, car and van. Sometimes she will say SUV or truck.

Ha Ha My wife cant seem to remember M37 and I hear her tell people that Alan is out working on the Dodge Mega Wagon.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
              I don't sense that kids are as interested in automotive matters as much as they once were. Am I wrong?

I have to admit, I think automobiles are less interesting than they were when I was a kid.
              When you and I were kids you could tell a Ford form a buick now they all look alike. I call them " TOON CARS ". Plus you could fix them with basic tool .
              It seems kids now are way more interested in how loud the radio is. I see them at car shows with some sort of Toyota stuffed with a 500 watt radio. Oh I forgot, they stick one of those giant 4 inch diameter tail pipes on it that does nothing.

Comment

Working...
              X