Electric M37?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric M37?

Anyone ever convert their M37 to an electric motor? I saw a Porsche 914 that had been done by removing the gas engine and mounting an equivalent horsepower electric motor in its place. Same drive system, just electric instead of gas. Is there such a project out there? With all the ethanol related trouble my gasoline system is causing, and with the limited distances I drive it, it’s tempting...

I have not heard of it being done yet, but with electric over the road trucks coming out. Anything is possible. What kind of ethanol related trouble are you having?
    1967 W200.aka.Hank
    1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
    2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

Electric pickups have been around for a while. GM made one in the '70s, if I recall correctly. It was sold as a fleet vehicle. There are a number of people who have done electric conversions to small pickup trucks (I think Ford Rangers were popular for this). I've thought the M37 would make an interesting candidate, but the conversion is beyond me.

Comment

I’m having carburetor problems and crud in the tank and fuel lines whenever it sits for a couple of weeks. I’ve cleaned out the tank and coated it and replaced the carburetor. The last time I rebuilt it, the parts kit quality was poor and the plunger spring seems to be the wrong size. I go on road trips with my Vanagon for months at a time and when I get back I have to go through a bunch of stuff just to get the truck going again. I’ve been doing this ethanol dance for about 8 years now with the truck and I’m getting sick of it. I only drive it once or twice a week to the town transfer station and into the woods to get firewood, so I don’t go far. Electric seems like a decent fit. EV4U has a conversion course that I’m thinking of taking.

Comment

Do you not have ethanol-free gas in your area? Here in Wyoming its called clear gas and the pump handles are blue. I've been using clear for 3 years now and recommend it to my customers in all seasonal engines and limited use vehicles.

CD
          1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
          1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
          2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
          1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
          1954 Ford 860 tractor
          1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
          UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

That’s right, Cheyenne. No ethanol free here. I’m always envious of the western state old vehicle owners. When we drive the 1987 Vanagon out your way, we always use the straight gas. It seems to run better.

Comment

I know its available in NC, didn't realize it's not more widespread

CD
              1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
              1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
              2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
              1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
              1954 Ford 860 tractor
              1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
              UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

Check out www.pure-gas.org for gas stations that sell Ethanol-free (E0) gas in your area.

Comment

Yah. I’ve checked that site. Too far away to be practical for me. I also make my own de-ethanol-ed gas using a contraption I saw in a YouTube video. It’s just getting to be a hassle.

Comment

So I guess no one has electrified their M37 yet. I’m going to study up on what it’d take.

Comment

Originally posted by johnbyrdgates View Post
                      Yah. I’ve checked that site. Too far away to be practical for me. I also make my own de-ethanol-ed gas using a contraption I saw in a YouTube video. It’s just getting to be a hassle.
                      Just be aware that removing the ethanol from E10 gas drops the octane rating by 3 or 4 points. That's not an issue for a stock M37 engine, but it is for some other engines.

Comment

Yep. The old M37 doesn’t care, but the Vanagon notices.

Comment

[QUOTE=johnbyrdgates;n189823]I’m having carburetor problems and crud in the tank and fuel lines whenever it sits for a couple of weeks. I’ve cleaned out the tank and coated it and replaced the carburetor. The last time I rebuilt it, the parts kit quality was poor and the plunger spring seems to be the wrong size. I go on road trips with my Vanagon for months at a time and when I get back I have to go through a bunch of stuff just to get the truck going again. I’ve been doing this ethanol dance for about 8 years now with the truck and I’m getting sick of it. I only drive it once or twice a week to the town transfer station and into the woods to get firewood, so I don’t go far. Electric seems like a decent fit. EV4U has a conversion course that I’m thinking of taking. [/QUOTE

A few thoughts, try dumping in some seafoam when you fill up? Pick up some 100LL from the airport to mix in with it, make triple sure you don't have a vacuum leak somewhere along the line.
                          I am lucky as far as here in Iowa to have a BP 4 miles down from the farm with 91 octane no ethanol. I have never been a big "snake oil" fan but as far as disipating water and giving a little lubricant the sea foam is good stuff.
                          Many years ago in big compression motors I would run the 100LL and throw in a quart of Ford type F tranny fluid per every 30 gallons. I never had any issues running that but now a days that AV gas is very expensive. It would be a test to see if it cured some of your problem?
                          1967 W200.aka.Hank
                          1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
                          2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

Thanks, Mathew. I actually tried to get some airplane gas but was rebuffed. Seems airport rules have changed here. I do use sea foam and have also put marvel mystery oil in before. Right now, the truck starts and idles for a few seconds and then dies, so I might have another carburetor cleaning in my future. This is why I’m considering going electric. It just seems the cards are getting stacked against old vehicles and I’d like to keep this truck which I’ve owned since it came out of service on 1967.

Comment

Last I checked, the airport where I keep our Cessna 172 still sells 100LL to "outsiders"/non-pilots. There is no federal prohibition against selling it for non-aviation use that I'm aware of. They could get in trouble for selling it for "on road" use, since there are different taxes collected for that (and airports typically aren't set up to deal with that). So if you wanted to put it in your truck, they would likely balk. They might be willing to fill a 5 gallon can, if they were assured it was for off-road use.

I'm not sure what you would hope to accomplish with 100LL, however. The stock engine in an M37 does not need the higher octane (compression ratio is only something like 7:1, if I recall). It also doesn't need the lead. So 100LL is unlikely to "cure" any problems. 100LL is not any better at dealing with moisture or other contaminants than auto gas.

Comment

Working...
                              X