No announcement yet.

M37 on TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll dig out my references sometime this week, and try to locate the "Scale Modeler" issue that had the "Pink Panther" sighting in Laos. It would be interesting to try and locate the author and see how good a look he had. "Panther and its Variants" by Walter Spielberger is about the most comprhensive reference in existence- I may have seen the Vietnam reference there. Anybody who hasen't seen "Saints and Soldiers" should check it out- very good use of correct US and German WW II equipment- makes you wonder why multimillion dollar Hollywood epics can't do the same.

Comment

Vehicle conversions

The British Centurian could be made into a convincing Tiger II,

Also my mates in my club travelled from Australia to the US with about a dozen centurians to be adapted to look like the Abrahms.
      This was for "Courage Under Fire" it was so financially advantageous that they left them behind upon coming home.

Bruce McCann

Comment

I found a reference to a possible French Indochina Panther deployment in Steve Zaloga's book "Stalin Heavy Tanks- IS I & II" by Osprey, pp 38. Supposedly 1 Panther was to be shipped to Vietnam to counter the rumored introduction of the Stalin, but it suffered mechanical failures, and may never have left France. Still chasing the Scale Modeler issue with the Pink Panther sighting in Laos....

Comment

In Simon Dunstan's book "Armour of the Vietnam Wars" (Osprey-Vanguard 42), he mentions that due to rumors of a possible Chi com intervention of armor to aid the Viet Minh against the French Expeditionary Force, the French got (from us) M36B2 Tank Destroyers to take on the Chi com tanks.

The M36B2 was the Jackson, with a Sherman chassis and open top with 90mm guns. The Jackson was more than a match for any Chi com armor and was in fact later used by us in Korea taking on all comers.

The Jackson and Sherman M4A1's were the heaviest French tanks to operate in VN in the period.

TTT

Comment

Originally posted by Threetoughtrucks View Post
            Not only would the use of German tanks by the French in Vietnam be difficult to justify for supply reasons, the small bridges that cover Vietnam would not hold up to to the weight of a Panther, limiting their use.....

TTT
            Just saw this and while it's not likely that a Panther made in to Vietnam, remember that our M-60 Patton's negotiated those same roads and they were considerably larger and heavier than the German tank...but float-able.
            I will say that I preferred that my 113 was in front of a M60 rather than behind one, as there was more undamaged road available prior to their arrival....= )

Comment

The weight of the Panther was 49 tons, the M48 Patton was the same weight, and the M60 was 50 tons. Most the French built bridges in the Delta (my AO) could not take the weight of the M48 and had fords next to the bridges espcially cut for the big tanks.

BTW - No M60's were sent to VN, only M48's. The M60's were sent for service to Europe (to counter the Ruskie hoards in any invasion) and the older M48's were used in VN. There was two engineer variants of the M60 used in VN. One with no turret, only the huge scissors bridge, and one dozer tank (the M728), which did have a turret but it's main weapon was a 165mm demolition gun.

The M48 and the M60 looked kind of simular the the turret gives you a clue which is which.

TTT

Comment

Uh...the drugs were good but not that good...= )
                M60's were indeed there, both in Army and Marine units, in 1972. The M48 is the same in appearance to a casual observer.
                The M60 hull is different as is the gun, both barrel type and projectile size.
                Most M60's in Vietnam were indeed in Engineer Batalions, like mobile bridge and dozer.

Comment

What I am saying is that only the two variants of the M60 were in VN. The two variants were the scissors bridge and the dozer tank with the 165mm short barrel "demolition" gun. Your pic seems to show this.

None of the full blown M60's, with the 105mm man gun, made it to VN. As I said, the M60's went to Europe and the older M48's were in Army and Marine service in VN.

Every source on the M60 says none went to VN (except the two variants mentioned).

If we are saying the same thing, I apologize for beating a dead horse, just chalk it up to me misinterpeting your comments.

I don't know about your drugs, I was happy with mass quantities of 10 cent Buds and 5 cent huge cans of Swan Lager (sweet Aussie beer)..

TTT

Comment

Originally posted by Threetoughtrucks View Post
                    I don't know about your drugs...
                    TTT
                    It was a reference to the 60's...

I didn't have a lot of free time to take multiple photos of various vehicles, but my point was in reference to the bridge comment, the Panther, M48 and M60 were in the same approximate weight range.
                    If the Panther was there, I doubt that the French took them out into the countryside, they liked to hang around their forts and close to their ships and airports.

Comment

Not to jump in ya'lls tank conversation but back to the M37s on TV, I just rented the most recent Rambo movie, rather different plot than the previous Rambo movies,

But anyways, there is an M37 in there that the bad-guys run around in alot. It gets Computer Graphically damaged at one point, but atleast they don't blow it up. Pretty decent restoration of it I thought as well.

I'll have to say, that looking for the M37 in subsequent scenes is the only reason I made it to the end of the movie.
                      1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

Originally posted by Alxj64 View Post
                        I'll have to say, that looking for the M37 in subsequent scenes is the only reason I made it to the end of the movie.
                        I'll second that... And that particular M37 seems to have a little more CG "pep" as well I should think...

Comment

I believe Rambo is in his 60's by now- how much "pep" does he have compared to the M37? I did locate a thread on Missing-Lynx dicussing the Pink Panther (http://www.network54.com/Forum/47207...ank+in+Vietnam ). I think that Bob Lessels was the author of the Scale Modeler article I've been looking for (see Steve Zaloga post). I've decided to email Jacques Littlefield, who probably has the world's foremost collection of military vehicles ~300, including 60+ tanks. If your significant other complains about your piles of parts, show her Jacques' collection (http://www.mishalov.net/military-veh...-vehicles.html ) and mention he's on his third marriage!

Comment

m37 in latest indiana jones movie

everyone probably knows given the visibility of the movie, but the latest indiana jones movie features an m37.

I was looking for it to get star billing right under Harrison Fords name, but it was neglected.

Comment

I belive that I saw an M37 and a couple of Deuces in the opening sequence of the James Bond flick "Octopussy" this afternoon... Its funny, I've seen that movie probably 15 times, and never really noticed 'em before. It must be because now that I own one again, I'll spot them everywhere...

Comment

A shot from one of my favorite movies "Play Dirty". The heros are using M-37's mocked up to be Brit desert long range vehicles (Mercedes hood ornaments but the real trucks were Chevy trucks and Jeeps).
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X