Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you have for a cab top? Canvas soft top,or Hard top ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you have for a cab top? Canvas soft top,or Hard top ???

What kind of cab top does your M37 have? I have the hard top with rectangular sliding window. I would like to get a canvas soft top,but would like to know what the owners of the canvas tops think of them. Are the canvas tops noisy? Are they drafty? Do they leak when it rains? Do they flop and flap around alot? Please let me know. Joe
    Canvas soft top
    48.05%
    Hard top with rectangular sliding back window
    20.78%
    Hard top with oval back window
    7.79%
    I don't have a top
    10.39%
    I have both kinds
    12.99%

I have a canvas top and yes it does flap around as you mentioned.

Comment

Any problems with leaks when it rains?? How about the UV rays from the sun eating up/fading the canvas? Joe

Comment

Mine is garaged, plus I've only had it just over a year anyway. Canvas material should last a good number of years, plus it can be treated if need be with water repellent. I haven't had it in the rain much but I don't believe leaking will be a problem.

Comment

Under Cover

Strangely I have never been out in the rain with it, however the flapping is sort of unavoidable. Its a little like riding in a noisy convertible that needs a new top.
          Did that make sense?

Comment

I added another option. I have both kinds of top.
            Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Other options ?

I used Gordon's option to vote, but it's not quite what right either. The one hard top I have is home made, 12 ga. steel rolled to fit around the soft top supports. It's quite well done except for the welding to join the 2 parts. That and sheet metal screws to hold it on, crude but very functional.

The soft top can drive you nuts if the wind is wrong direction, but they are nice in marginal weather. If I never drove the M in the dead of winter, I think I would stay with a soft top. I have probably put more miles on M37s with no top (the best way) than any of the other options.

Dennis

Comment

CCKW Hard Top

Well, so far it looks like I am the only one with a CCKW hard top with the oval rear window!

I have heard that they aren't that common. Is there anyone else out there sandbagging that has one?

Comment

I have a fiberglass hard top with a rectangular non-sliding back window. I clicked hard with oval back because it was the best description available.

Comment

I've got one of those CCKW hard tops with the oval window.I think its original to the truck as it seems that everything else is, even the rims are dated 53' with Mohawk Rubber military ND's on.I'd like to trade someone the hard top for a vinyl(preferably) or canvas one.

JR

Comment

I have an OEM canvas top made by WeeBee Webbing. My truck had all the hardware to mount one when I bought it so thats the way I went. Besides if I had a hard top my truck would not be able to fit into the garage. I too have not had my truck out in the rain, and don't plan to.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Rokon View Post
                        What kind of cab top does your M37 have? I have the hard top with rectangular sliding window. I would like to get a canvas soft top,but would like to know what the owners of the canvas tops think of them. Are the canvas tops noisy? Are they drafty? Do they leak when it rains? Do they flop and flap around alot? Please let me know. Joe
                        First off, you are a fortunate man if you have the original arctic hard top, it is the best one in every way.

As for the canvas top, the answer to your questions is all the above. A slight hail storm will turn one to shreds, happened on 2 trucks here in the past month. If you really need a soft top, the military vinyl is much tougher & longer lasting.

My personal opinion, stick with the hard top, too much trouble to be changing from one to the other. However to each his own.

Comment

I have canvas. I don't drive it in the rain. Canvas gives it a more "military" look I think. It would be nice to have the option of a hardtop too though.

Comment

Mine is the original artic hard top, complete with foam insulation. I did notice that the truck was much quieter to drive with no top on it. The sound waves can escape with out the top on. With the top on its like a giant speaker box. I used to drive with ear muffs on so I wouldn't go deaf. Conversation with passengers at road speed was a waste of breath...HA!

Comment

Wha'd ya say about a wombat???

I've got the canvas top, and can't hear a darned thing (conversations) because of the noise - mostly from a tired engine, loud tires, tired t-case (but no noise from my healthy tranny - thanks Charles!).

I drive with earplugs & make my kids wear those headsets you use (or should) while operating a chainsaw.

Comment

Working...
                              X