Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you have for a cab top? Canvas soft top,or Hard top ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mine is canvas and I like it that way. Haven't driven it enough to be bothered by the noise. In my opinion, canvas looks better; but to each his own!

Ed Bennett

Comment

My Choice

"Canvas or Topless" Like 'em both!

http://inlinethumb59.webshots.com/44...500x500Q85.jpg

Comment

I have had a military issue vinyl top on my M-37 for 25 years. I bought it from a MV dealer, new in the original plastic bags at a show. I have used the same top on three different M-37's. My trucks are too tough and mean to spend time in a garage.

The top is great. After about three years, the top developed a tiny leak near one of the top straps and after two years the leak fixed itself. Can you ask for more than to have something fix itself?

Color has not faded but I do have some water stains on the top from water and ice sitting for months but who looks at the top except of course the folks in the black helicopters....

I've had canvas but this vinyl top is the best investment I ever made outside my trucks itself.

TTT

Comment

The genuine military spec vinyl is far superior to canvas.

Comment

Does anyone know if or where a mil spec vinyl top might be available?

Comment

$$ Question

Originally posted by Threetoughtrucks View Post
              I have had a military issue vinyl top on my M-37 for 25 years. I bought it from a MV dealer, new in the original plastic bags at a show. I have used the same top on three different M-37's. My trucks are too tough and mean to spend time in a garage.

The top is great. After about three years, the top developed a tiny leak near one of the top straps and after two years the leak fixed itself. Can you ask for more than to have something fix itself?

Color has not faded but I do have some water stains on the top from water and ice sitting for months but who looks at the top except of course the folks in the black helicopters....

I've had canvas but this vinyl top is the best investment I ever made outside my trucks itself.

TTT
              Hey TTT,
              Do you recall the dif in price, I realize it has been a while?

Comment

If I remember correctly, I paid $100 for the vinyl top complete with rope tie downs.

Since we are talking about 25 years, that price doesn't really mean anything today. That's like finding out I paid $2500 for a package deal of perfect M-37 plus a little rough M-715 and a almost new M-35. I did in the early '80's and turned around and sold the M-35 for $2750, so I had the M-37 and M-715 for free. So what?, that won't happen again but I've been in this hobby since 1976 when I joined the MVCC and over the years I have been involved in many good deals. It doesn't mean anything today. There is always something very interesting, just around the corner in this hobby...

TTT

Comment

BTW - Beachwood Canvas has a M-37 Canvas or Vinyl cab top currently for $299.

While Beachwood stuff is great, I've not heard anything, good or bad, about their vinyl products.

TTT

Comment

Here is the link to Beachwood Canvas:

https://www.beachwoodcanvas.com/index.cfm

And here is the part number for the vinyl top they offer:

DG2308-VCP $225.00

They also offer a Bikini Top as well:

DG2308-BIKINI $299.00

I forsee both of these tops in my future....

Comment

I'm guessing the Bimini top has more work in it, nice looking too!

Comment

The Bimini top was a Beachwood design. If you like driving without a top and yet you don't want to bake in the sun, the Bimini top is a terrific idea.

For us it's perfect. You can use it in a parade without anyone knowing it is not military. Heck, you'd be happy if nobody calls your truck "A Jeep".

TTT

Comment

Originally posted by Threetoughtrucks View Post
                          Heck, you'd be happy if nobody calls your truck "A Jeep".

TTT
                          How true!

Comment

My 53 had a gerry-rig Bimini when I bought it, black nyga-hyde/black bungie cords, it was a hoot, it was the first thing 2 go.

Comment

Canvas top

Originally posted by Joe Rokon View Post
                              Any problems with leaks when it rains?? How about the UV rays from the sun eating up/fading the canvas? Joe
                              I like my canvas top. Going on 11 years, most of that time living outside, and it has held up really well. I park it facing south so that the vinyl rear window is not exposed to UV. I live in the western US where it is sunny most of the time, and plastic is ravaged by UV. Here, vinyl windows in Jeep tops are known for turning brown and shattering in severe cold. Vinyl seat covers crack in the cold. I drive in below 0 temps, with no concern that my canvas is going to crack.

As to rain, my windshield leaks, but not my canvas top, and yes, I replaced all of the seals. I will brush off heavy snow to keep the weight off of it, but it never leaks as a result of melting snow.

As to noise, these trucks have mostly solid interior surfaces which means most of the noise bounces around the interior without being absorbed by much. I wear ear plugs during sustained highway driving.

Off road, when it is warm, it is great to roll up the back window, pitch out the windshields, and cruise along with the side windows down. No hard top would allow the wide open feeling of the rear roll up window.

Comment

I don't know about Jeep tops, but my vinyl rear window has not cracked or discolored in all the years I have used it. During the winter months, when the truck is mostly inactive I use a couple of wood moulding strips, slightly wider than the cab and place them so that the top is bend slightly up to keep water and ice from pooling on the top. During the summer months the top comes off and the cab is exposed and is great fun driving. If I get caught in the rain? So, I get a little wet? I'm not made of glass and a little rain adds to the M-37 driving experience.

As to leaks when the top is on. In the 60's when I was in the Army and first exposed to the fun of driving M-37's, the tops leaked around the windows even when the trucks were brand new. Now were are not talking about new tops, we are talking about brandy newly issued M-37's. I loved them then and I love them now. We did have a few trucks with "home made" wooden tops and the windows still leaked.

TTT

Comment

Working...
                                X