The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Western Pa.

I had a similar experience with a purchase from that area. Six months after I bought the truck the seller contacted me to ask if I wanted to buy the parts that had been removed from the truck. Perhaps it's a regional behaviour associated with their ancestors criminal past?;-)

Comment

• One, two, then three, oh no four, my wife says STOP.

Comment

• Originally posted by HRT5SLCFD View Post
        One, two, then three, oh no four, my wife says STOP.
        I'm right there on track myself these days. I have my '65 Mustang up for sale at the moment to help continue funding my OD green disease.
        1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

• The stuff most folks never see

These are the drive pins for my carryall . They will connect the drive flange , driveline brake drum and the driveshaft yoke together. It would have been simpler to order the Tom Woods drive shaft flange with 7/16 diameter holes but I did not know that at the time.
          (1) ARP stainless bolt - no chrome moly available unless I waited four weeks
          (2) A piece of 1/2 diameter pipe that has been tapped to 7/16 and relieved to fit over the ARP bolt shank.
          (3) the pipe had to be turned down a couple of thousandths to fit in the flange.

It takes time to order this stuff, it took 3 trips to the parts store with alternative numbers because the earlier ARP part was not available in B.C.
          Then there is all the filing, tapping, and sanding to get each piece to fit together. And then end result?
          Is a bolt. A bolt that no one will ever give a second thought to how it was created or the time involved.
          I am sharing this because I now know that I am not the only person who spends time in this manner. Six trips to the parts store and only one part stays at home, we all know about those kind of situations.

edit210,000 views , we are rockin
          Attached Files

Comment

• Those are the kind of details that are most impressive to me, and like you said they are also the type of details that cause these projects to take as much time as they do.

I think it's important to show them though, both to discuss the problems and solutions and share ideas, as well as to make people aware of what they are getting into when they decide to take on projects like these.

Interesting way to build a shoulder bolt too, I like it. And if it makes you feel any better I'm still sanding body filler, talk about wasting time!

Comment

• Plato said, "Necessity is the mother of invention"... where there is a need, there is a way. Those are some "fancy" bolts Bruce and there is no other word for it. Fancy.

Damien is right though, its great for you to share this stuff. I know that I tend to omit a lot of the "little" details because I fear most are bored by them, however it seems that in this thread, and this forum even, its the minor details that creates the challenge. With most automotive toys now a days, someone else has done the hard part of figuring out a solution, and you can order the solution from Summit, Jegs, Napa, etc, however in this world of Resto-mod, there are few solutions that are even the same for anyone of us even though we are all working on essentially the same vehicle.

Theres millions of Mustang and Camaro projects out there, hundreds of thousands of folks fixing up their dad's old Corvette, there are maybe a couple thousand FFPW guys... and when it comes down to the Carryall. Bet you could fit all of our names on a piece of Legal ruled paper.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alxj64 View Post
                I know that I tend to omit a lot of the "little" details because I fear most are bored by them, however it seems that in this thread, and this forum even, its the minor details that creates the challenge. With most automotive toys now a days, someone else has done the hard part of figuring out a solution, and you can order the solution from Summit, Jegs, Napa, etc, however in this world of Resto-mod, there are few solutions that are even the same for anyone of us even though we are all working on essentially the same vehicle.

You need to get that thought out of your head right now! People want details.

Also:

http://www.powerwagonadvertiser.com/submit.html
                Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
                  You need to get that thought out of your head right now! People want details.

Also:

http://www.powerwagonadvertiser.com/submit.html
                  I SO need to just sit down and write something. I started to a while back and then got side tracked. I'll see what I can't get myself motivated to compose in the evenings this weekend. Wife is busy out of town so I will have the house to myself.

Comment

• Ok Alex it is a race

I have an idea for an article on modified vehicles, another on zinc plating. Here is the challenge , how about we see who gets one off by sunday? The zinc article does not count .
                    I also have a new term for you.
                    AUTOMOTIVE DECORATOR. These are the folks who buy stuff and bolt it on their trucks . They certainly are not artists, or fabricators they are decorators.
                    Dropping by Speedy Bobs chinese import part emporium and bolting stuff on your rig is not the action of a visionary or creative person.
                    How is that for starting something?

Lot of fun looking at some guys jacked up late model truck and saying " I really like how you decorated your truck"

Bruce

Please share the small stuff, if it was boring why would you look at it? It is not boring. Same old same old is boring.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alxj64 View Post
                      I SO need to just sit down and write something. I started to a while back and then got side tracked. I'll see what I can't get myself motivated to compose in the evenings this weekend. Wife is busy out of town so I will have the house to myself.
                      Please do!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
                        I have an idea for an article on modified vehicles, another on zinc plating. Here is the challenge , how about we see who gets one off by sunday? The zinc article does not count .
                        I also have a new term for you.
                        AUTOMOTIVE DECORATOR. These are the folks who buy stuff and bolt it on their trucks . They certainly are not artists, or fabricators they are decorators.
                        Dropping by Speedy Bobs chinese import part emporium and bolting stuff on your rig is not the action of a visionary or creative person.
                        How is that for starting something?

Lot of fun looking at some guys jacked up late model truck and saying " I really like how you decorated your truck"

Bruce

Please share the small stuff, if it was boring why would you look at it? It is not boring. Same old same old is boring.
                        I like it!

Comment

• Automotive Decorators...

I call it the "Crap Magnet"
                          As in "he drove through Auto Zone with the crap magnet on full blast"

Comment

• Got "Tetanus the Menace" started last night off pouring gas in the carb. I pulled the carb apart to unstick the float, unstick what I think was the accel pump, and clean all the garbage out of it. It certainly needs a rebuild kit. The plunger type starter solenoid is long gone missing and someone had set it up with some rinky-dink little bitty solenoid for a lawn mower or something that looked like it had been on fire at least once in its life. Needless to say it did not want to play nice when cross the Start contact. I am just going to rip ALL of the wiring out of this thing because 90% of it goes nowhere or the insulator is damaged somewhere along its length.

In order to get this thing to run I put a set of points in it, re-wired the coil, cleaned the carb, and put a set of clean properly gapped plugs in it. The previous gap on the old plugs was HUGE, like someone just opened them up with a flat blade screw driver and stuffed them in there. They looked like the old Champion plugs my dad sold for John Deere Two Cyl tractors.

Also, I pulled the fuel pump off the side of the motor last night and the lever is missing. I posted over on Joe's forum asking about how common this was, evidently its pretty common. Guess if I decide to keep this truck I'll be pulling the oil pan to look for a fuel pump lever that belongs on the pump. I am unsure if I want to go back to the mechanical pump or just install a small simple Electric pump inside the fender. Heck, I haven't even decided what I am doing with this truck yet.

I am going to try and attach a video. Not sure if it will work or not. Its on Photobucket.

Edit: I'm sure some of you stalkers are going to thumb through the rest of the album. You'll see how rough the truck really is.

Comment

• I have a 6V electric pump sitting in the garage that came with my truck, still new in box, you're welcome to it if it will help.

I like the automotive decorator term, though I fully understand the benefits of a "bolt-on" modification, I like the shows and threads like these that don't edit out the little issues that really chew up time and energy, and more importantly how you attempted to solve them, the ideas are what is important.

Threading the tubing over the bolts is not something I would have thought of, I'd have just slid it on and called it done, that detail alone is worth the whole post. Those discussions and details are why I post what I do. The idea for the windshield opener I built came out of a discussion with a guy in my car club. It was a direction I hadn't thought of going on my own.

I had started working on the second article Gordon asked for, but I've been lazy in getting back to it. Guess if I'm not going to be productive on the truck I should try to be productive talking about it, that still counts right?

Comment

• Wow , I'm glad I didn't follow up sooner. Your pictures tell a different story than the sellers. The price seemed to rich for me so I didn't go past the first email exchange. Then when I ran across it again on cl I checked on it the day before you bought it. I would have been happy to have it for a future project (I've drug home two trucks in worse shape),or parts but at a different price. The missing doors were what initially held me back from even going to look it over. Now I see the rear windows were welded over, and the dash is cut up as well. The body sheet metal is what we expect here in the rust belt. That's why I jumped at a chance to get the western truck I'm working on. My wife wants me to get a carryall instead of a truck so there will be room for our dog. I'm afraid in dog years he'd be long gone before another project got done (maybe even this one). Of course I expect to live forever so buying another future project seems perfectly sensible. I'll continue watching cl for anything listed as a Power Wagon maybe the next carryall will follow me home. Jim

Comment

Working...
                                X