The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So let me get this straight

Your wife wants to move . You are looking for a studio for her to do art in . A great big old barn with a loft . She gets the loft to do her art work in . Man are you going to make her happy.
    You convert the bottom floor for a bigger shop…. how cool is that?
    Things are going to fall in place for you- put the word out. What you want is run down but structurally sound that you can fix - or a distress sale. Talk to the banks or mortgage companies too.

Comment

• That's what I like about you Bruce, first one to the table with a solution or idea!

Lets get together for another lunch one of these days, I have tons of parts and trucks you have not seen yet.

Comment

• Sounds good Jake

I will wander up your way when it warms up a tad more. Who knows maybe I need to test drive something, or my wife would like a weekend up there in a hotel.
        You take care. I gots another wee operation on Monday. Doubt they will find anything that I need to worry over.
        Going to load up the oil system on the 4bt tomorrow. At least that is the plan.

Take care

Bruce

Comment

• Priming or pressurizing the oil system

Made myself a preluder for the oil system . I wanted the bearings and as many of the moving parts lubed before I test fire the block. There are a number of reasons for doing this . Yes I could have cranked the engine over with the starter and hoped that would lube the system . The problem is I have had valves seize doing it that way. Every thing is nice and lubed but one valve stem stays dry.
          So I pulled the oil sending unit off the top of the oil filter adapter. I used a garden sprayer with a adapter made from a power steering hard line. I also connected an oil pressure gauge and placed it where I could see it .
          Then i drained oil from the pan and put it in the garden sprayer , pumped away and pulled the garden sprayer trigger. Got nada in the way of pressure.

So I changed the oil pressure gauge and tried again. Next pass and the gauge went up to 15lbs.

Now that I know this is going to work I will drain the oil and install a new filter and then prime the block using the new oil.

The black hose with the red trigger is the end of the garden sprayer, the hard line is connected where the oil sender unit is located.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Got some primmer on and have started on the brakes, by rebuilding the bread truck hydroboost bracket to work with out modifying the push rod. I think it turned out well.

Comment

• Looks like you are making great progress! Looks like I'm in the same situation as Alex. I'm being relocated, looking forward to the move to Nashville, should be a lot better weather than Pennsylvania, but I don't expect to make any progress on the truck for a while. I'll probably end up storing it at my parents during the move, just trying to get as many parts securely on the truck as fast as I can. Worked on the front bumper, nothing fancy, turn signals are $25 trailer units I got off of ebay. I wanted the "arrow" look, this was a close as I could find.
              Attached Files

Comment

• No oil pressure

I hooked up a garden sprayer over by the oil pump where the oil pressure sender hooks up. I could read a few lbs on a gauge that hooked up to the other side of the block. I am cranking the engine over with the starter - No oil pressure. Going to try and pressurize the system from the drivers side gallery and see what I get. Pain in the hoo hoo. Got to figure out some adapters and maybe go for something more aggressive than the whimsy garden sprayer.
                Then there is the issue of getting the fuel from the tank to the pump. All the pumping on that leaver has lead to nada fuel at the pump.

Grrrrrrrrrrr
                Bruce

Those turn signals look cool. The front end looks business like on these rigs does it not .

Way cool guys, thanks for the posts.

Comment

• Ladies and gentlemen we have Ignition

decided to just treat the darn thing like any other block . I had oil pressure with the garden sprayer so the bearings should be fine .
                  I tucked my air nozzle into the filler tube on the fuel tank. Did not even seal the thing with anything more than my hand. Sure enough the fuel came out of the line right by the pump.

(1) Fired right up after a couple of cranks

(2) 60 lbs oil pressure at idle

(3) Vibrates like crazy at idle , smooths out at higher RPM.

(4) Smokes a bit more than I would like

(5) No smoke from the breather tube

(6) I turned the engine off and topped up the power steering fluid a few times - very few bubbles were seen. I did not cycle the steering box, that will come another day.

(7) Two minor leaks in the PS lines - I am sure more will show up. But I am pleased with how the system held up through the test run.

(8) Ran the engine for 15 minutes , I could still touch the exhaust pipe and the radiator was not particularly warm . The block was not hot either.

(9) no rattles from the exhaust pipe and it is very quiet at the pipe. I could not hear myself think when standing by the block at idle . Once the revs pick up it is quieter but still too noisy.

I ran about 20 feet of dryer hose out side and connected it to a dust collector , minus the dust bags. The collector kept the exhaust out of the shop

Not sure what I am going to tackle next . I would like to get the inner fenders painted and the front sheet metal mounted and then tackle the body.

VVVVrrrrooooooommmmmmmmmmm

Bruce

Comment

• Congratulations Bruce!

The first time you run the engine is always special. I haven't worked on my truck in months but hope to at least wash the dust off and start it this weekend.

Comment

• Im back, and trying to catch up! great work people!

Comment

• Congratulations Bruce, you've worked on this for a long time!
                        If you need running boards or front fenders let me know.

Comment

• Subscribing

subscribing to this thread, working on a flat fender power wagon right now. Have it running and driving with a cummins/5spd need to finish the body and interior.

Been thinking I need to build a Carryall, 3 rows of leather buckets either 4bt or 6bt. 205 T case Dana 60/70 or 80. Should be a blast, now just need to find a project someone has to abandon or a solid foundation.

Keep up the great posts everyone, loved reading it all so far. Bruce I'm from sask. Work in the southern part of the province and into alberta as far as Calgary.

Comment

• hmmm that did not work

Used the wrong reducer when I mixed some paint . Still sticky the next day - I suspect it will take a few days to take a set. I do like the colour but I have decided to wait until I can wet sand the paint to see how it looks. Once some of the underlying paint shows through the top coat I will know if it has the desired effect or not.

gyman98 - welcome aboard . Let us know when you get that Carryall and we will have all sorts of advice that should save you a bunch of time. The 4bt dana 60 dana 70 axle combo should work fine. Do not feel that you need to keep that old pumpkin on the passenger side. A HP Ford dana 60 may be the better way to go. Mod it how you see fit but shaved door handles and stacks are two items to avoid - they both look sooooooo lame. Well if I think about it, mirrored ceilings, shag carpet and airbrushed scenes of warriors fighting dragons looks pretty lame as well.
                            Also if you have details of your build that would fit into a Carryall build please feel free to add them to the thread.

Jake - thanks on that - my front fenders are darn straight and I am running custom galvanized boards that do double duty as side impact crash bars and rock sliders.

Bruce

Comment

• Enthusiasm lifts us all.

Gyman98,
                              I like your enthusiasm. Please don't let anyone bully you about what you do with your projects. You will find most folks participating in these forums quite positive and supportive. The subject of originality vs modification is, of course a constant subject of debate. There are other threads that have been devoted to this and a reasoned argument is always appreciated in those threads.
                              Remember, everyone loves pictures.
                              Thank you,
                              DBemis

Comment

• Thanks everyone for the welcome and even the objections. It's just opinions and everyone's entitled to them. I do agree on no stacks and no shaved door handles though. I like the vintage looks with modern appointments.

Here's a few photos of my flat fender build and one of the crew cab I built. Not original but it tows my trailer down the highway at 80mph while sitting on heated 8 way leather buckets. Just as nice as new 70k truck IMO

Comment

Working...
                                X