The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chains

I have one set, of the good ones, they weigh a ton, and I have yet to mount them. If I had chains on there would have been a chance that I would not have spun out and stayed on top. I am tempted to pick up a cheap set as well and run them on the rear and the heavy duty on the front and see how each works.
    Lockers are great, I was really into the ARBs but I have run the power lock, detroit locker and the gov lok or coo coo clock in a 14 bolt. Honestly they all work quite well and if I was going to do it again I would go 14 bolt with a Detroit in the rear and put a power lok in the front. ARBs are great but the air lines are an issue and there are reports about it being difficult getting replacement parts and seals. Talked to others who had no issues getting the pieces.
    I drove home about 8 miles on 10 psi. I will air up tomorrow. Much more road noise at 10 lbs.
    SAR ...I have a distressed SAR sticker on my front bumper. Looking forward to using the truck on a call out. It has been very quiet search wise around here.

Take care
    Bruce

Had a laugh when I looked underneath and the rear diff was under the snow.

Comment

• Bruce,
      I stumbled on a "tip" with the chains and their prices. The chains for the 2.5 ton military trucks (m35?) that run 9x20 tires are plentiful through army surplus outlets.
      I bought two of these and simply shortened them to fit well on the 9x16's.
      Then I bought, through www.tirechains.com, the more modern and better cam-like "locks" for fastening the ends, and rubber tensioners so to keep the chains tighter on the tire.
      I routinely air down when operating at the beach on sand. I go to 15-20 psi. I am afraid, perhaps wrongly, of getting much lower than that pressure and causing a wheel/ tire problem?
      Interesting about the SAR sticker. While there is a Canadian Chapter for the SAR, I wonder if the truck was originally in the US after military service?

Comment

• Originally posted by Doc Dave View Post
        Bruce,
        I stumbled on a "tip" with the chains and their prices. The chains for the 2.5 ton military trucks (m35?) that run 9x20 tires are plentiful through army surplus outlets.
        I bought two of these and simply shortened them to fit well on the 9x16's.
        Then I bought, through www.tirechains.com, the more modern and better cam-like "locks" for fastening the ends, and rubber tensioners so to keep the chains tighter on the tire.
        I routinely air down when operating at the beach on sand. I go to 15-20 psi. I am afraid, perhaps wrongly, of getting much lower than that pressure and causing a wheel/ tire problem?
        Interesting about the SAR sticker. While there is a Canadian Chapter for the SAR, I wonder if the truck was originally in the US after military service?
        I could be mistaken but I believe you and Bruce are referring to two separate entities. Bruce, if I'm not mistaken was refering to Search and Rescue as opposed to Sons of the American Revolution.
        I could be wrong however, having been married for thirty-five years I am used to being wrong. Even when I am technically right. ;-)

Comment

• I've been dormant for some time on mine... Time to get started again! Wiring harness parts are finally all here. I also need to finish up my brake pedal mount. My wife has me doing a million other things and I was distracted by my 1943 Bridgeport Refurb. I know that this looks "too new and fancy" but like many things on this truck, its going to be hidden as best as possible and the functionality of it will go mostly unnoticed and will simplify and reduce the number of wires in the truck as compared to a standard painless system. Guess I'll be the test dummy on it for these trucks.

1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

• Learning to run Solid rivets... This will bring this build even more closer to aesthetic era specific. For each modern thing I add, I try to find something era specific to incorporate into the modern feature. Man I can't wait to get this thing done!

Comment

• Here is one for 20 grand, running too.

It has upgraded axles but from what I can see of the hubs they are early Dodge.
              Hard to tell what is under that green paint. I swear I have seen that floor before.

edit on craigslist http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...451390105.html
              Attached Files

Comment

• Hole in the wall auto dealer... how did they end up with that? Some kids inherit the old thing and trade it in for a 2001 Mercedes Economy class car? I bet you could wave 8 to 10 cash in front of them and walk away easily. So much wrong information and poor spelling. No photos of the engine swap. What makes me step back at times, is the way I view this vehicle, and my feelings of the modifications to the truck, are probably what some purists see when looking at mine. Maybe I shouldn't be so bitter towards those that are bitter towards me. Poor truck.

Comment

• Re wc53

I was curious as to the trucks history. This may be a decent truck that was well looked after and a bit long in the tooth. The quick paint job is a bit much and takes away from the vehicle. I doubt the paint job or description of the truck has any relationship to the builder. I would like to see under the hood, the steering and just what axles lurk under the beast and also see the related brackets. As usual I posted the link for history and reference. Once the Craigs ad is gone we may lose track of the vehicle or ten years from now someone may come to this thread and find a missing link.
                  To date not one noob as complained about me destroying a perfectly good WC53. The ones that do are usually pretty dense. I met enough of them driving my hot rod. And boy is your truck looking good Alex..
                  ME? I am still working on the house. Carryall is set aside....except when I take it out for a drive. I managed to get rid of one nasty squeak - the sheet metal around the trans was touching and I figured out why i could not see anything at night through my back up camera. The license plate light is shining in to the camera. That only took two weeks to figure out..... and it came to me while I was on a trip to away.

Bruce

Comment

• minor changes

The fan got dropped down 1/2 of an inch and the front pulley on the cummins is no longer milling a groove into the fan motor. I am running a Chev style master cylinder, the old one with the steel top that is held down by a springy clamp type thing. The master cylinder of course, leaks around the top and the paint is peeling off my $500 dollars worth of steering linkage. So if you are installing a master cylinder the new style aluminum ones with the plastic tops and screw on caps are the way to go. They do not leak as often as the all steel ones seem to. If you do not like the plastic you can paint it. Some of those cheap plastic paints seem to stick to the plastic as advertised. I have the same master cylinder in my trash truck and it leaks around the cover as well.
                    Still too busy to do much on the Carryall, and there are a lot of little tweaks that need doing.

take care
                    Bruce

Comment

• Just want to say that I have been reading every word of this thread from the beginning over the last few weeks. What a great resource for learning about these vehicles as hoping to get one myself. Very thin on the ground here in Australia though and only know of two of them so far.

I just came across this new post a few minutes ago and thought it would be of use as has a WC10 Carryall and other WC's for sale in WA USA.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/5987...0857230020499/

Comment

• ^^^ So many cool trucks in the woods of the PNW. I've often tried to talk my wife into moving out there, shes a no go on it though.

I worked on mine some more.

Custom hanging brake pedal. Terrible photo. Its adjustable and the upper hinge bars can be replaced with a different location for the hinge so that the pedal to MC mechanical ratio can be tweaked if it makes the Hydroboost to firm or too soft. Its obviously not complete, just test fitting.

Comment

• Another Carryall in Washington

Now this auction would be fun to go to. A tank, a command car, old gas pumps and a carryall. Way cool way to spend a day.

That pedal assemble is looking good Alex. I replaced my tensioner pulley on the carryall this morning. Used a Dayco item that is plastic and a bit narrower. Old one was steel, wider but was pitted and rusty . I like the old style more better.
                          Funny how belts will bounce every once in awhile at the tensioner while the Cummins is running.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/gms/5474526972.html

edit Gojeep - nice dig. Feel welcome to drop by any time with contributions like that or questions all things carryall. Welcome aboard!
                          Attached Files

Comment

• I might go. ......

Comment

• A bit costly for me.

ferries and fuel would run to 150 bucks, toss in the food and lodgings and the day would bight into the pocket book . If you took some high res photos the auction would be a good article for the PWA.
                              If you do not write one for the PWA, but attend the auction, it would be great to hear from you.

Comment

• I will try to make it in the afternoon. my issue with buying is cant get thousands in cash till Monday and have to pay on the spot. only thing I would bid on is the carryall. ;/) If I go I will definitely take some pics. that's a good suggestion. thx

Comment

Working...
                                X