No announcement yet.

The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I used a column from a 1972 jeep CJ5, It looks correct and has a horn and self canceling signals as well as a u joint at the end of the column.

Comment

• Originally posted by Desoto61 View Post
      Awesome updates! Wish I had had the room for my hydroboost, was a real bear getting it to fit next to the engine and under the hood.

What about modifying the stock steering column to fit your needs. If you're cutting and modifying anyway just use the housing and modify the guts to fit your wheel.
      I don't have the stock column. It was sold away by the previous owner of the truck and he used an Ididit with a Grant wheel.

Originally posted by dieseldude4bt View Post
      I used a column from a 1972 jeep CJ5, It looks correct and has a horn and self canceling signals as well as a u joint at the end of the column.
      Hadn't looked at the CJ columns. I'll gander at those.

Bruce, Greg, I kind need to shift my whole body a little towards the drivers do as well. Moving the column will move my foot sure, but then I am sort sitting sideways in the cab. I'll certainly investigate all avenues befort cutting up the dash, no doubt.
      1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

• Steering wheel offset and other stuff

My column is moved 1".125 towards the door. We are talking ergonomics and I can not agree more it needs to be considered when dialing in one of these vehicles. Personally I would not want the steering wheel any closer to the door, and I think it is a 16 inch version. In my case I need to tweak the steering column up a bit more and see how my legs fit. After that I may drop the pedals a 1/2 inch closer to the firewall.
        Today I pulled the glove box, fixed a short, and cleaned up a bunch of wiring. The heater position got adjusted because it was hung up on the glove box and except for the power connection all the heater wiring is in place. I also made a ground and pretty much finished off the camera wiring. There is too much wire with one of these cameras, next time I am going wire free. There is more of this sort of thing to deal with but the dash is mostly done.

edit: I passed my rope exam, I am now certified for rope rescue. Woopidy do.

Comment

• I also moved my column closed to the door but mine is a 1/2 ton so I don't know if it's in the same place as the 3/4 ton or not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alxj64 View Post
            I don't have the stock column. It was sold away by the previous owner of the truck and he used an Ididit with a Grant wheel.
            I still have the stock column from mine if you are interested, the wheel is even in good shape though pulling that seems to be quite tricky without the right tool, but if you just need the housing you can probably disassemble it and pull the wheel with the shaft.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
              My column is moved 1".125 towards the door. We are talking ergonomics and I can not agree more it needs to be considered when dialing in one of these vehicles. Personally I would not want the steering wheel any closer to the door, and I think it is a 16 inch version. In my case I need to tweak the steering column up a bit more and see how my legs fit. After that I may drop the pedals a 1/2 inch closer to the firewall.
              Today I pulled the glove box, fixed a short, and cleaned up a bunch of wiring. The heater position got adjusted because it was hung up on the glove box and except for the power connection all the heater wiring is in place. I also made a ground and pretty much finished off the camera wiring. There is too much wire with one of these cameras, next time I am going wire free. There is more of this sort of thing to deal with but the dash is mostly done.

edit: I passed my rope exam, I am now certified for rope rescue. Woopidy do.
              I agree that any closer to the door with a 16" wheel and you can kiss your funny bone good by. I did a simulated "quick turn open palm manuever with my wife sitting next to me in the cab last night and she laughed when I kit my elbow and started cursing. I actually had her come out and get in the truck the way I had things mocked up, and had not told her any of my concern with the steering wheel and just told her to sit in it and pretend she was driving and asked her to "tell me what was wrong". She said that if anything the wheel was a bit large in general but she knew that it was an "old truck thing" and the her fear was that raising it too much was going to put it too far into the windsheild.

I mentioned the steering wheel location to her and about moving it and she said that it was probably more work than it was worth and asked what the problem was of sitting with the wheel a little offset to the right anyways. I kinda thought about it and she is kinda right. I run equipment all the time with wheels that are offset or funky. May be a non issue as long as I can get the pedals in a decent place. That being the case, I think I am just going to move my front seat back a hair more and that way the pedals will be a little further from the firewall and I can have a touch more foot room. Only issue that now arrises from that is making sure I leave myself a good mounting location for my shoulder belt as I am not approaching the next window.... Ugh.

Congrats on the rope tech certification! I am Industrial Access SPRAT / IRATA certified so I can only do rescues on a 2 rope system. Are you guys using 2 rope or single?

Originally posted by dieseldude4bt View Post
              I also moved my column closed to the door but mine is a 1/2 ton so I don't know if it's in the same place as the 3/4 ton or not.
              Did you guys cut the dash entirely and just relocate the clamp support? I looked into the CJ column and it is essentially what I am planning on building but by the time I cut and modify the CJ column to fit my floorboard space and such I can just build my 2" dia one that fits my wheel bell perfectly, however I can steal the self defeating turn signal system from a mid model CJ5-A as it had a tang on the steering shaft that would click the defeat mechanisim when it passed by the switch after the turn was made.

Originally posted by Desoto61 View Post
              I still have the stock column from mine if you are interested, the wheel is even in good shape though pulling that seems to be quite tricky without the right tool, but if you just need the housing you can probably disassemble it and pull the wheel with the shaft.
              Thanks for the offer but I think by the time I modify something stock, I'd have the same time and effort in building a straight column myself. A few sets of sealed bearings at each end, maybe some set screws or snap rings. Heck if I could use my buddy's lathe I could machine and thread the inside for a threaded bearing retainer at each end to hold the bearings in place.

At this point I have enough additional parts on the way to sink a small ship. Hoses for steering, PS reservour stuff, intercooler tubing and connectors, and stuff to finish up my trans cooler and PS cooler lines before getting all that mounted in place.

I am extra stoked because I scored some new Amphenol connectors for my bulkhead. Gov surplus auction and because I took the time to learn the MS code numbers I was able to bid on some matching stuff and also have some 16/37 wire on the way, a case of AN fittings that are NOS aircraft stuff, and some other random goodies. I am dead-set on running that Infinity-box wiring system and have had several conversations with the owner/design engineer and he thinks its cool what we are building, bringing these old things back to life.

Comment

• Found another one

https://boston.craigslist.org/sob/cto/5303084436.html

Pretty clean, but might be alot of bondo.

Comment

• Did you see the other Carryall body in the background?
                  Greg Coffin
                  Unrepentant Dodge Enthusiast

1951 Dodge M37 - Bone Stock
                  1958 Dodge M37 - Ex-Forest Service Brush Truck
                  1962 M37-B1 - Work in Progress
                  1962 Dodge WM300 Power Wagon - Factory 251, 4.89s
                  1944/1957 Dodge WM500T 6x6 Power Wagon - LA318-3, NP435, 5.83s, Power Steering, Undercab Power Brakes
                  1974 Dodge W200 - 360/727, Factory Sno-Fighter Package

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg Coffin View Post
                    Did you see the other Carryall body in the background?
                    Yep! There's another Dodge cab in the background, too. Not sure if it's a carryall or something else.

Comment

• Boston Carryall

That is the same seller I bought my WC53 from almost two years ago. He had at least three other carryall bodies then and was restoring one to original. He had the chasis and power train done then. he did top notch work. He's big into all things military, lots of cool stuff.

Comment

• I've spoken with him on the phone a few times about various Carryall things. Very nice guy! Between he, and Frank U. in GA... these two guys have a rather large collection of trucks and extensive knowledge on these machines. Both rather nice guys too! Frank has helped me out with OE parts a good bit actually!

Comment

• Brake booster support bracket. Will be picking up some solid rivet tools here soon and will use that to replace the Clecos.

And started running some more brake lines.

Comment

• That's cool!!
                            I am just using rods that came from the bread truck hydroboost, I feel so inadequate. LoL.

Comment

• Originally posted by dieseldude4bt View Post
                              That's cool!!
                              I am just using rods that came from the bread truck hydroboost, I feel so inadequate. LoL.
                              Nah, the upside to doing it simple is the fact that yours was quick and easy, and simple. There is a lot to be said about simple... which is obviously something I am yet to grasp.

PS Res and mount.

Liked the look of an old Fram remote mount oil filter canister that came rolling around on the floor of Tetanus the Menace when I bought it. I kept the canister and decided the other day that the mount was pretty simple and cool. So, I started on my PS res. I re-used the original mounting tab but made my own new straps for the larger diameter can. I bead rolled two beads in the piece of 5" dia HREW and then the bottom has a beaded step down to the AN-10 suction tube fitting. My buds keep telling me it looks like R2D2 and I can see it.. however painted black, under the hood of this truck I am hoping that will be the last inference that people will have. The cap is drilled with a breather vent on the inside. Still need to finish weld it all up and also needs the Hydroboost bypass return hose fitting welded on.

Its not sitting tight in the mounts in this photo. I plumbed in the return from the cooler at as close to a tangent as I could get while still leaving some room along the edge of the hood. I can run the hose along the inside of the inner fender. Should keep aeration down even though with such a short system, submerged returns, and a -10 suction hose out of a 2 quart res, there shouldn't have been much of an issue anyways.

Comment

• that is bootefull

Now there is history in the making. You can tell people how that pump reservoir was made way back in 1942 for a rare experimental aircraft and that is where the idea for R2D2 came from. You have only one of six known to exist. To further add to the theme you could get some talented person to copy an old filter canister decal but change it to Power steering fluid instead of oil. Matter of fact I am sure I have seen that exact canister on the Spruce Goose.

Decal link - http://www.coupecustoms.com/shop/mob...-filter-decal/

I am out in the shop attempting to move my steering column a little bit higher. To do so is a bit complicated. I may need to go to a different style steering wheel and dump the sprinter style flat wheel. As it is I have to remove the column and change the bottom mount and modify the dash mount. The wires for the turn signals come out of the column right at the dash mount.

Got the second heater installed last night and tossed in some sound proofing.
                                I also scored some more leather for the interior.

BAM

We use a double rope system in rescue, pretty much all of it is top down, 11mm static rope, belay is not tensioned. I suspect regulations will change and a dual tensioned system will be the norm in a few years.

Comment

Working...
                                X