The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carryall hunting adventure.

Went on a Carryall hunting trip. I would never have found the thing without help from someone else who managed to track down another guy who had been to the dump site. Not much left , but what was there indicates the truck was pretty complete in the years before it got squashed. All the rear window winders, boxes , frames , handles were still in place. The upper lift gate had been unbolted. We did find one door and it was complete except for the inner panel. No frame or front fenders. The truck had the olive green as a base and had a layer of what looked like military grey and a coat of military blue. No idea what the history of this one was.

Alex that is way cool.

Second shot is what we found, the first shot is what it looked like after the body got winched over.
    Resting on the broken stump in picture one is a very rust free floor which has the drivers seat base in place.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Thats very saddening. 8399 out of 8400 for sure are left... that ones a goner.
      1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

• Carryall data plate discrepancies

IMG_1383.JPG

There seems to be a interesting oddity with the Carryall body tags. The last number is suppose to say which body it was in the sequence. So you would think the last number would be 4249-8400 or 8401 but this body tag messes up that theory.
        I was under the impression that your truck had a steel floor in the rear, is this not the case? What kind of finish do you plan on using?
        Also does the font change on your tag? Both of the tags that I have use the fancy font in the second sequence.

Bruce

edit: for a lark i may put it up for sale with all the usual silly poop
        ran when parked
        needs TLC
        will not ship
        these go for $250,000 when restored
        reserve price of $25,998
        minor rust
        some dents
        will not last at this price
        some parts missing
        5% complete

and then after a month put a "sold" sign on the add. That would be funny.

Comment

• Carryall Pictures in Iowa

I retired on September 4th and decided that since I had the Carryall when I started working in December 1971, it should set in the parking lot on my last day of work. The other two pictures are of my grandsons before and after a parade today.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Congratulations Gary, life has just begun.

I just bolted my drivers seat in place for what I hope is the last time for many years. I was about to drop the transmission cover in place when I realized that if I changed one shifter handle I might be able to remove the cover without removing the heater. Not sure if it will help but I suspect I will be doing some fab work tomorrow before I put the cover back on.
            Tomorrows goal, modify shifter, finish off passenger seat adapter, toss on the trans cover..
            Managed to get the emergency brakes to work. Highly modified levers but they are out of the way and are military items.
            When sitting in your seat how close are your knees to the steering wheel? Mine are closer than I would like.

Take care
            Bruce

Love the look of your truck.

Comment

• And another WC53 shows up on Craigs

00b0b_pSXLbLniTW_600x450.jpg

I wonder how long this one will last before it gets purchased and then put up for sale at a higher price? If the seller tossed in the other cab the truck might be a decent start for someone.

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/5232103856.html
              Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
                [ATTACH]10390[/ATTACH]

I wonder how long this one will last before it gets purchased and then put up for sale at a higher price? If the seller tossed in the other cab the truck might be a decent start for someone.

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/5232103856.html
                I know the owner of this one. Nice guy but he doesn't want to sell. As far as I know its one of those wife says "too many projects" so its "for sale" way above reasonable price.
                1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

• Looks like I'll be joining the WC53 club soon. I own a couple civilian power wagons, and am always on the look out for old Dodge trucks around Alaska.

Last winter, an ad for a '1942 carryall power wagon' came up on craigslist. Not much info was given, and I couldn't afford the asking price, so I didn't bother to call. But I did save the phone number, just in case. Well I was digging around the other day and ran across it, and thought it might be worth a call just to see what happened to the old truck. Lo and behold, it's still for sale. I asked the gentleman to email me some pictures, and after confirming that it was what I hoped it was - a WC53, we agreed on a price much lower than the original asking price!

I'll be driving down next Sunday to pick it up. It's a little rough, with some bad rust on the rear gate and the driver door, and the usual dented fenders, but it looks very complete. These things are getting hard to find anywhere, and to find one here in Alaska is awesome!

I'd be willing to bet that this one came up during the construction of the Alcan Highway in 1942, and I'm sure it could tell some stories...

Looking forward to learning from you guys!

-Robert

Comment

• Welcome aboard Robert

We want pictures. If you have the lower gate you are laughing. Does not matter how rough it is you have a template and the hard to get parts. Between Alaska and the Yukon there is a lot of old donor trucks still tucked away. There are lots of doors around so you should be able to come up with a decent one. Not sure if you are aware but there was a yellow carryall that was barged out and then built up and it was all done up in your neck of the woods. i think it sold a few years back. corvette yellow if memory serves me correctly.
                    I am messing with my seat belts and heater. It would have been much easier to have done the belt, connections way back when the truck was still a shell.

take care
                    Bruce

Well done on your purchase... i plan on driving up that way next year.
                    IN MY CARRYALL......

Comment

• Bruce, I'll post some pictures up as soon as I have a better internet connection. Maybe a day or two...

I haven't even seen this one in person yet, but just looking at the pictures I've received, I'm confident it's not going to be too much for me to tackle. If I'm wrong....I'll just hang on to it until my skill level meets it's needs.

I am thrilled to see that some rare parts are still with the rig. The lower gate is there, just rotten. I know folks (maybe you?) have started with much worse, so I know it's repairable. All the hinges for it are there. Looks like all the window cranks and regulators are still there. And I believe all the seat frames are there, too, but are just frames and springs at this point. Kind of hard to tell by looking at the pile of them, but it looks like they are all there. How many seats came in these trucks? Driver, folding passenger, one half bench, and one full bench?

Any chance you'll make it up to Fairbanks on your trip? If you do, I can promise a warm bed, and good food and beer.

Comment

• Here she is...

I've seen a few builds were folks had a lot of work filling in holes from the attatchment of tin to the roof. Looks like this one will be a little easier!

Comment

• That is pretty intact parts wise.

looks like a pack rat or a squirrel stuffed the rear gate full of something that held water. Also there was a tool rack on that rear gate at one point. I think you would be best off to keep your eye open for some donor doors or fenders. if the price was right that is a decent start for a Carryall. I love the faded colour, that one has some history.

Take care
                          Bruce

edit: That coke machine looks like it is a vintage model too.

Comment

• Bruce, what do you suppose a good price is for it? I know what it's worth to me, and I have a decent idea of it's value based on what I've seen online over the past few years, but another opinion never hurts.

We agreed on $2k, which I feel is fair based on the completness of the truck, and the fact that I don't have to ship it up from the lower 48.

Comment

• Congratulations Robert, that looks like a great candidate for a restoration. I look forward to watching your project unfold.
                              Greg Coffin
                              Unrepentant Dodge Enthusiast

1951 Dodge M37 - Bone Stock
                              1958 Dodge M37 - Ex-Forest Service Brush Truck
                              1962 M37-B1 - Work in Progress
                              1962 Dodge WM300 Power Wagon - Factory 251, 4.89s
                              1944/1957 Dodge WM500T 6x6 Power Wagon - LA318-3, NP435, 5.83s, Power Steering, Undercab Power Brakes
                              1974 Dodge W200 - 360/727, Factory Sno-Fighter Package

Comment

• Value of a Carryall

A lot of the Carryalls I see are over priced. 2 grand for what you have is perfect. You need to add in what it would cost to restore or even the cost to get it driveable. It will cost more than you think.
                                The good side of your truck is you have a majority of the pieces that these trucks often have missing. The down side is you have some body work to do to those two rear corners. Mine were better but that horizontal crease is a perfect copy of what I had to contend with on both sides. That kind of work is costly and time consuming.

I would not tear into the truck right away. Get it home, get it dry, maybe power wash it down and then come up with what you want to do with the truck. Also on the chance you are unaware you should visit Joes site- punch in " power wagon page. This will get you some ideas as well.

Love the pictures, when you get a chance show us the engine compartment and a couple of the interior.

well done

Bruce

Comment

Working...
                                X