Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drivers seat test fit.

Not perfect but it is a start.IMG_1242.jpg

Folded forward and in the access position. I do not think the drivers seat will be rolled forward very often. Does the job though.
    Attached Files

Comment

• RE Gary's carryall towing the model A

That looks great Gary. What year is it 30 or 31? What are your plans for it? There is one heck of a lot of parts available for those things these days.
      IMG_1241.jpg
      View from the drivers seat, one of these days I am taking this thing out of the shop. Darn garage door is too low, for any size of tire except flat ones.

Comment

• View from the drivers seat, one of these days I am taking this thing out of the shop. Darn garage door is too low, for any size of tire except flat ones.[/QUOTE]

Ha! A buddy and I figured that out about mine too. The tires I have on it now (some used standard tires to get it rolling) give me just enough clearance to leave my garage, so the 37" ones I'm looking at will have to be installed in the driveway!

That was the biggest mistake I made when I had my garage built. With the tall ceiling for the lift I should have gone for a taller opening. Much harder to fix now.

Comment

• I'm opposite direction as you guys. I built my truck as low as possible with the most appropriate sized looking tires I could so that I could squeeze out of my garage door and also still park inside here at my office building in Town Center's bigger parking garages. My biggest grief so far is that the idoits from city parking services placed speed bumps at some of the lowest clearance points in the garage so I am going to take it upon myself to verify them before entering with my completed truck. Its that close. And no, the headache bars (even though they should be) are not the lowest places in the garage.

Bruce, the inside of the truck is looking good! Those seats are installed in several trail trucks that I ride in and man are they comfortable, even at weird angles such as the truck laying in its side. My biggest fear is going to be the comfort level of the oddball contraptions I've developed for my setup.

I haven't worked on mine lately. Been helping friends get some projects done and I am out of $ for parts as I just bought some new tools; 3M Speedglas welding mask for my TIG welder. Don't buy a Save Phace mask for TIG work, the chineese Hobart freight type sensor in it does not agree with low amp or inverter TIG welding. Got sick of being flashed and the quality of my welding has grossly improved even just over the weekend running less than 2 feet of bead.

I'm finishing up my radiator, intercooler, PS cooler, AC condensor, and tranmission cooler packaging in the front core of mine... ugh... What a pain without stretching the core and still fitting decent sized componenets and a very large electric fan.

Shopped around for wiring stuff, 100% certain on going with that Infinitybox that Desoto pointed out to me a while back. Thats going to save me a good bit of time and space in regards to wiring, cost difference is twice as much, but upgradability to additional features and controls for interior lights, hazards, headlights, etc... MUCH less wire to run = less money in wire, relays, and less things to trouble shoot, and a cleaner install too.

Firewall design started in my head that incorporates some extra beefing around the pedal and master cylinder mounts. Gotta build a dipstick tube for transmission, get the lines run for the cooling goodies and finally get to test fire my Cummins! ABOUT DARN TIME!
          1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

• template

IMG_1245.JPG

You can not see it in this shot but the tape follows all the compound curves that a good tale gate would have. I am tempted and may have to lay fiberglass on top of a tape form like this. The tape is stretched over the tail gate frame or carcass. From there it gets removed and taped on a sheet of metal. The metal then gets trimmed and shaped to form the tail gate skin. Trick is that the tailgate is compound curves, I am not sure I can create that by hand.

The curves look great with the tape on the frame. I tried a side photo but the green tape does not show the all most sexy curves.

Comment

• Fsp

Flexable shape pattern. Get some fiberglass tape and put two layers cross crossed each other over that low stick tape. When you pull it off take some baby powder and sprinkle it on the back side. Now you have a flexable pattern to lay over your sheet metal. It will tell you exactly where to wheel up your part.

Comment

• That did not work

Cut the patten out of a Chev hood. Side to side curve was perfect. Hammered out the steel over a buck and got the top roll hammered in. I then went and attempted to create the concave curve in the sheet metal. After a few hours of hammering all I got was a flat sheet, the curve was gone, and once I mounted the sheet to the frame it was butt ugly. I have seen a bunch of these tailgates with knots in them and that is where I am right now.
                If I invest in a English wheel I wonder how many sheets I will destroy while I learn how to create the right panel.
                So I have 3 routes to follow. All of them expensive. I may end up going the finer glass route.
                Love to have an English wheel , but really can not justify buying one. Might go for a planishing hammer.
                GGrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. All I can say……... frustrating.
                I swear I have seen this shape before, pretty sure it is a trunk lid on something.
                Edit _ that tape is a fresh roll of the 3M expensive stuff. Uber sticky. The pattern came off in one piece. Worked slick for what I wanted to do. I have created the top hood for a model A by using the tape for a pattern. Worked slick. I can see where the glass tape might be advantageous. Creating a glass skin would be one example.

HRT5SLCFD what have you been up too? Any progress on your projects. I miss your input.

Comment

• Miss your Input HRT5SLCFD

Unbelievable thread, informative, educational, imaginative, and inspiring. I've read the whole thread twice. Everyone has great contributions. I'm trying to finish up two FFPW's a '47 Poly conversion and a '48 360 Conversion to keep the peace before I start the WC 53 which I just recently obtained.

The music is loud fellow carryaller's. I'll be living in the Carryall if I don't finish and kick one of these trucks out of the stable. When I sniff around the carryall mama bear gets assertive over my current projects, which now to me, just seem to be "in the way" of my new obsession.

HRT5SLCFD your sheet metal fab skills are mad, sick, and off the charts brother. Miss your contributions to the thread. Did you ever get to retire?
                  I'm OD green with carryall envy. Was it 4 at last count? Maybe you could have your people (wife) call my people (wife)? Ha Ha!
                  '47 WDX
                  '49 B-1 PW
                  1970 Dodge Cornet
                  1998 2500 SLT 12 Valve Cummins

Comment

• Retired

Yes I did retire. At 47 my wife thinks I'm too young not to go to work. So I told her I'll be working in the garage. I bought a few tools to help in the garage, tig, mig, cooler, arc, bead roller, shrinker/streacher, English wheel, dimple press, rotissorie, stump, and a few other odds and ends. I already had a few things before. Maybe Ill get some HOT CHICK to stand in front of my tools and post a picture.
                    I have been resurrecting one of my Carryalls. After a few learning curves I almost have an additional reproduction back half. I have a set of hinges at the foundry as I type. He did say they would shrink about an 1/8", but a whole new set will all have the same shrink. Then I'll finish up with the tail gate. The ones I have need to be reskinned anyway. I'll tear them apart and make a few new ones as well as reskining the old.
                    Life is good, and it's nice to have the lovely state of Utah paying me to stay home. Now I just need to sale one of these trucks.

James

Comment

• Bought a few tools

Congrats on the retirement and sounds like the shop is all coming together nicely. Very good news on the hinges. Sounds like you could give Dave Kindig, a fellow Salt Laker, a hand with that arsenal. I often dream that Foose or Kindig stopping by to grab my WC and work their magic. When I snap back to reality, I'm even more thankful that Gordon provided this wonderful forum to network and exchange information and equally thankful that Bruce started this thread and for all the great contributions that help inspire me along. It's psychological therapy for my obsession and cheaper than seein a shrink:~)

Has anyone given any consideration to building a skeletal form for the lid and then overlaying it with fiberglass. I think Would it graft into the roof structure nicely and possibly easier that wheeling out a large piece of sheet metal prone to warping when welded into place. Pros, cons and thoughts?

also James what welder did you end up with? My son graduates this spring from 2 year Welding and Non Destructive Testing course. I'd like to get some Ideas for a graduation gift that will further him in his vocation and us in our projects. Thanks in advance.
                      '47 WDX
                      '49 B-1 PW
                      1970 Dodge Cornet
                      1998 2500 SLT 12 Valve Cummins

Comment

• Miller blue

Miller blue is my color. The tig I ended up with was the Miller Dynasty 280 DX, with a CK 250 amp water cooled flex head torch. I just hooked it up to my coolmate V3 that I already had for my 350 P mig. I use it with a stubby gas lens. It welds nice, and the CK torch feels like silk. There are so many options I'm still learning.
                        I'm sure your kid has welded with one, or has seen one being used. There not cheep, but there are nice. I did look at a Turkish made machine, I think it was a HTP. There's a guy on you tube that does a review on it, and it seems nice, but I like the idea of a local warranty. My oldest just got hired on welding with duel sheild wire. He went in for an interveiw, and ended up taking a welding test and passing on his first try. He has already welded more wire in a year then I have my whole life. He told me that he goes through about 2-3 rolls of wire each shift. Somehow when it comes time to welding on his truck I end up doing all the welding. Hope it all works out for your kid.

James

Comment

• Was able to pick up my seat from Upholstery this morning. Turned out fair. Material is heavy Duck Cotton (think Carhartt pants material, almost canvas like) with heavy thread for stitching. Color is actually pretty dark but isn't showing up as such in these photos due to cell phone LED camera flash.

1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

• Very nice! You both do great work. I'll have to see it in person when I drop your regulator back off, which I can do whenever is convenient for you. Thanks again!

The big question is: did you sit in it?

Comment

• I struggled with my tailgate skin for quite a while. Two ripples I just couldn't shrink or stretch out. So.....I cut two relief slits and welded it up. It will need a little attention after priming but it looks well enough. I also fabbed up a couple hinges from some 1/2" and 3/16" plate stock. Definitely not original but they work.
                              Thanks again for the help with dimensions Bruce.
                              Good progress everyone.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Cool

I gather the tail gate goes up and down without any hassles. Nice work on the hinges. Do you plan on counter sinking the holes for flat head screws?
                                I am doing a lot of yard work with minor Carryall, work.
                                Alex I must compliment you on your seat , it looks ubber cool, who knows you may be able to travel miles in it and be comfortable. That is the weird thing with vehicle seats, one of the most uncomfortable looking seats I have ever seen, is very easy on the back and butt on long drives. Funny how things like that work.

take care

BVruce

Comment

Working...
                                X