X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WOW! that looks GREAT!

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Weaklend View Post
      Finally had time to upload some pictures tonight so thought I would post a few of the Carryall at the VPW Rally here. Still have work to do but found it's a lot more fun to actually have a vehicle at the rally.
      Gary!
      She looks prettier every time I see her! How long has it been since the shot of all of the parts scattered on the floor?
      It's been a lot of hard work and it shows!
      Great job!

Comment

• Originally posted by MoparNorm View Post
        Gary!
        How long has it been since the shot of all of the parts scattered on the floor?
        Thanks Norm. I finished painting everything in March of 2005 so it's taken two years to get the time (and money) to get it back together. This picture is from 97 when I sandblasted it. It took 10 years total to get it on the road but I didn't work on it for four years while I remodeled the house and built a garage that I could paint in. I was able to use the Carryall while building though. It made a great sawhorse.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by MoparNorm View Post
          Yeah I get all that, we had tactical horses....I just don't consider the Carryall a tactical vehicle, it's a support vehicle, for use behind the lines, such as a Deuce, a M37 and even our M113's were not considered combat or tactical (although we did disagree and we did after all have a MaDeuce,... uh for defensive purposes only....ha!ha!)

Yo Norm:

Actually, the Carryall (although the carryall name implies more of a cargo useage) was designate mainly for commo & recon. It being enclosed was better to protect the sensitive gear. That's also why production was stopped, as it was recognized for that very thing and became a high priotity target. This also confirmed by former Axis soldiers.

Also, as we are BOTH well aware of, what may seem like easy common sense to you, me, & everyone else, is often overlooked my the great military minds. Look at the #'s too. The Carryall's were produced in much greater #'s in the 1/2 ton version, I think somewhere in the 30 to 40K's (in it's 3 or 4 different model #'s), compared to the 8400 of the 3/4 ton'ers. However, once they realized that the Carryall's were such good tagets & they DID have production stopped, they took most of em & shipped em off (at least a big %) to Los Alamos, which is why so many have turned up (lucky for us). No, Da Beast don't glow in the dark, I checked. HA!

Yo Gary:

To copy Lee, WOW! (I used the OD for the green with envy. HA!)

Later
          Ugg

Comment

• i thought the 3/4 was designed as a radio platform from day one and the advent of the miniaturized radio (fit in a jeep) killed it before the first one rolled off the production line.

then they were "tasked" into a different mission and the germans assumed it was an officer car and targeted them.

maybe i dreamed it?

Comment

• Lee:

The TM has it listed as a cargo hauler actually. The 1/2 ton's did carry radio gear & needed trailers for the power. As the gear got smaller the trailers weren't needed (also 12v helped). Didn't your's have an electrical outlet box (AC)? No, the Jeeps didn't kill it, the Axis did by bein able to ID so easy. Jeeps & WC 51's were used more in the latter time of the war. Less noticable.

Later
              Ugg

Comment

• i have the box in mine, but nothing in it.

btw, im selling all three seats and drivers seat bracket

Comment

• Anyone got some shots of their front floor?

For those of us running a 4bt and newer trans I want to see some shots of the floor and what happened to the old cross member. Any help here would be great . I am off to stare at Paul's thread .
                  That rear tailgate on Gary's Carryall looks pretty nice. Most look kind of wavy and distorted .

Thanks
                  Bruce

Comment

• i cut the crossmember at the front edge and matched the radius on the actual floor pan. i THINK its strong enough w/o. especially since im adding the rear floor.

Comment

• http://web.mac.com/ltalessi/iWeb/Site/crossmember.html

Comment

• BC bruce:

Personally, I'm a big fan of Paul's cargo doors. I guess I suffer from cargo envy. ;~)

Later
                        Ugg

Comment

• Got in 6 more hours on the truck today.

It took 5 hours to drill and pound out 14 rivets. Mind you I did a few drill bit changes during that time and had to raise and move the body around too. I was not flying but there was little wasted motion either. I drilled out the spot welds on the floor hump and cut out a small section of floor That was hiding under the hump . Some of this sheet metal may go back in but I wanted to clean things up to make fabrication of the trannie and transfercase mounts a lot easier. The original seat riser was no longer in the truck. Most likely it is in some farmers field with the tailgate.
                          Considering that I spent a long hour blowing the truck out and vaccuuming it too I am surprised how much dirt and sand blast sand appeared on the floor after I pounded out the rivets.

With luck I will have it sitting on four tires this week and can rollit out of the shop for a little look and photo op.

Going hiking tomorrow .

Bruce

Comment

• my seat riser is out, you need measurements or anything?

Comment

• Re seat riser measurements

I do not need them yet. I am not sure what I am going to do for seats . I was surprised how I was able to drive the breadvan for several hundred miles and not get uncomfortable . The same trip in my wifes caravan would have me going nuts . The seat in the van looks quite uncomfortable yet proved to be otherwise. Hopefully you will find some great seat combination that works and I can just copy you . You are a tad ahead of me in the progress department .

take care

Bruce

Comment

• http://web.mac.com/ltalessi/iWeb/Sit...0and%20AC.html

thats 20ga flat firewall, with damplifier pro "peel & stick"sound deadener from www.secondskin.com followed by a jute mat that is foil covered on both sides then bolted to the original firewall. then on the inside its more damplifier pro, spectrum spray on sound deadener, another sheet of the jute mat, and a 1/2" of closed cell foam.

Comment

Working...
                                X