The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the cummins 4bt is home

13 hrs on the road and running around. Man am I knackered. Good thing I took my earplugs . The metal panels in that thing did nothing but rattle all the way home. Milage seems good but I have no way of knowing what I was getting.
    The rear axle in this thing is huge . Looks like an Rockwell . The axle housing is square . There are some big vacuum assist type things hanging in the back .One is new. I am not going to use them but they certainly work . It was tough to keep the brakes from locking up .

Back to working on the front axle . I am having the same pattern problems that I had with the rear gears . The best pattern is too close to the top of the ring gear . When the space at the top of the tooth is equal to the bottom the pattern looks likea oval with the bottom chopped off .

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

pictures at 11

Comment

• i bought some ceramic beads to add to my zerorust to cut the heat transfer. i removed all the brackets on the firewall and have cut a new 20ga firewall. i am going to overlay the original with the new one and add sound deadening in-between the two..

ive cut all the interior window brackets out (front two rusted OUT) and the interior walls out. ill add the ceramic blended paint there and more sound deadening.

my smoked lexan (marguard) came in today for the sunroof.

16ga rear floor is cut, and in, but not permenant yet.

all my new glass is in the shop. i have smoke for all the sides and green tint for the front.

the front axle is mounted on new springs, the rear new springs came in, and i have to put them on.

the vintage air unit should be in tomorrow....

i got the manifold, turbo housing and downpipe jet hot ceramic coated in gray

Comment

• We want to see some pictures

You cut out the inner sheet metal ? This I want to see- please toss a few pictures here for the rest of the world to see. Send some to Gordon too.

Bruce

Looking forward to seeing what you have done . I am going the ceramic route too

Comment

• there is NO paint or primer between the inner and outer sheet metal, btw. the panels have been hit with picklex20, i have to paint then sound deaden then they will be welded back in. if i cant get this thing QUIETER than a moder suburban, something is WRONG.

heres pics.
          http://web.mac.com/ltalessi/iWeb/Sit...20skinned.html

hydroboost
          http://web.mac.com/ltalessi/iWeb/Site/Library.html

Comment

• im making new window boxes, if anyone needs some. same with a firewall plate.

if ya'll need anything NOW is the time to speak up. i have a brake that can do 14ga 1/8 o 3/4 radius bends and about 0 to 160 degrees

Comment

• Originally posted by mcinfantry View Post
              there is NO paint or primer between the inner and outer sheet metal, btw. ...
              heres pics.
              http://web.mac.com/ltalessi/iWeb/Sit...20skinned.html

hydroboost
              http://web.mac.com/ltalessi/iWeb/Site/Library.html

They needed them to last as long as the war, they hoped that would be 3-4 years and they hoped that we would be the victors.....today, 63 years ago the beach was secure and the Carryalls began to be off-loaded by the dozens....

Comment

• Nu Uh

Nammy:

Tactical vehicles were/are built to last 13 days, PERIOD. They planned on them getting all blowed up. Maybe now they plan on em lastin a bit longer but I don't know. Ya know, everything is so PC. People aren't supposed to get hurt in a war now. Back then, they always figured on massive casualties. I got into a heated discussion with some kid who had just enlisted when I told him what his basic job was (to help an enemy die for his country). He said his recruiter swore that after basic he'd never touch a weapon again.

Lee:

Again, LOOKIN GOOD! If the weather holds, we start up on the Beast Monday. Maynard seems to have gotten better. Hmmm, maybe I better have him do a drug screen. HA!

Later
                Ugg

Comment

• Ugg, I wasn't aware that the Carryall was tactical,... support or logistical.
                  ...the recruiter promised to cal him in the morning too....= )

Comment

• i had new front springs made. just put on NOS rears from vpw. my bushings in the old springs were oval. flipped upside down they were 1.5 and 2" taller than the nos ones?????

anyway now you can shake the truck and the rear actually moves, alot. im willing to bet the ride should be MUCH better.

to remove the rear spring pins, remove the cross bolt. tale a 7/8 short socket and thread the cross bolt into the pin (where the zerk was) and using a slide hammer you can pull the pins out in less that 10 seconds. i was able to change both rear springs in less than 20 minutes TOTAL.

here is the firewall pics

Comment

• id like to add, prior to spring replacement i could move all 4 springs side to side several inches. now none move at all.

Comment

• Re Firewall pictures

I gather the original fire wall is hiding behind your new one ?If so do you plan on sandwiching some sound proofing between the 2 layers? A trick i have used to soundproof some areas is to stick common glass insulation in a plastic bag. Sometimes with some argon gas if I think the weather is too darn humid. Then I seal the darn things so they are water tight and stuff them in the kick pannels and such . It seems to help but I have never used a decible meter to find out how well it actually works.

Thanks for your shots

Bruce

Got my front gears in .

Comment

• BC Bruce:

No, he removed em both (inner & outer). I'll let Lee fill in the details though.

Lee:

LOKKIN GOOD!

Nammy:

I jest love it when ya yank my chain. ;>) It feels so good when ya stop. HA! Tactical vehicle is a more modern term, like deuce & a half. Back then they were referred to as 6X's or Jimmy's. ANY vehicle designed to be used in a combat situation is termed a TACTICAL VEHICLE. They were designed for 13 days of extermely heavy useage, and then figured to be blowed up or destroyed somehow (although not by the operator).

That was normal thinking back in the day, and I'm sure they still think the same way now although that's forcefully denied, what with what they pay for equipment these days. I freaked when I saw what Uncle Sugar paid for my deuce, $900K, brandy new, without the cargo bed. 8>0

Later
                          Ugg

Comment

• ugg, i did leave the original firewall in there.im currently planning on leaving it in there. the inside will be covered with a leather pad, so removal/replacement will be redundant, imo.

i do plan on insulating and sound deadening it. i bought and added some ceramic beads to my zerorust to try and give a thermal barrier.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ugg013 View Post
                              Nammy:

..... ANY vehicle designed to be used in a combat situation is termed a TACTICAL VEHICLE. They were designed for 13 days of extermely heavy useage, and then figured to be blowed up or destroyed somehow (although not by the operator). ...

Later
                              Ugg
                              Yeah I get all that, we had tactical horses....I just don't consider the Carryall a tactical vehicle, it's a support vehicle, for use behind the lines, such as a Deuce, a M37 and even our M113's were not considered combat or tactical (although we did disagree and we did after all have a MaDeuce,... uh for defensive purposes only....ha!ha!)

Comment

• Pictures of Carryall at VPW Rally

Finally had time to upload some pictures tonight so thought I would post a few of the Carryall at the VPW Rally here. Still have work to do but found it's a lot more fun to actually have a vehicle at the rally.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X