The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear bumper pictures

What we have here is the rear split bumper on my Carryall . The holes are for back up lights . I will notch the bumper so that a jack all will be able to be used . The middle open area in the bumper will take a pintle hook or a license plate .
    The bars at the side are rub rails . Hopefully to protect the fender when backing up .

What a messy work area . I think it should be much neater , very unprofessional . I know for sure that every other PW shop is 100 times more organized . Do not do this at home.
    Attached Files

Comment

• More pictures

Looks great. Nice patch panel on the rear quarter. I love the floor, I did the same thing to step up over the frame rails. Bumper is very cool with the rub bars, also like the recessed hitch. Looks like your still in need of a pair of hinges. I have made a set for the lower half, still working on the upper. Also have half of the latch brackets done. I have some ambition of making a couple of sets of each. The cost will probally wash, but it's the fact that I could do it. Also working on a new tailgate for my stocker. I have been working on the roof, and have to make the small rail for the rubber cord to sit in. Almost ready for body work.
      James

Comment

• Bruce's Rear Bumpers

Bruce, that is one heavy duty bumper. Good job. I started working on making a headliner over the weekend and will try to get some pictures posted.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
          What we have here is the rear split bumper on my Carryall . The holes are for back up lights . I will notch the bumper so that a jack all will be able to be used . The middle open area in the bumper will take a pintle hook or a license plate .

The bars at the side are rub rails . Hopefully to protect the fender when backing up .

What a messy work area . I think it should be much neater , very unprofessional . I know for sure that every other PW shop is 100 times more organized . Do not do this at home.
          Let me be the first to say my shop is not 100 times more organized....
          Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

• Mine is 100 times LESS organized

Comment

• Words to live by...

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk."

This is a Quote from someone who knew a thing or two about inventing...

-Thomas Edison

Great Job on the Bumper Bruce...

Comment

• Test

Trying my I pad for pictures.
                http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/w...g?t=1295658833

Comment

• Good Test

Originally posted by HRT5SLCFD View Post
                  My shop is a train wreck!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce View Post
                    My shop is a train wreck!
                    I'll vouch for that!

Comment

• It's slowly becoming a "Work In Progress".................

Comment

• Small steps forward

I have started to weld in some new fender nuts . This means I weld the nut to a washer and then fit that assemble into the original hole . Of course nothing fits so i have to file and test fit each new piece before I proceed to weld the piece in . Welding upside down is so much fun.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• How is this for a work bench .

Twenty feet long , full extension 120 lb drawer slides and 34 drawers . No the drawers are not full of tools . Just a lifetimes worth of shop stuff that no one else would understand or want . I am amazed that the picture is orientated . I had the camera flipped when I took the photo .
                          Look at that , a Carryall rear lower tail gate frame that is about to fall on the first foot that wanders by .
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Fender nuts

I feel your pain on the fender holes. I had 9 bad ones on my passenger side, and 4 on the other. The good news was, I had the body turned upside down on my rotisserie. I have welded plenty upside down, outside, inside, cold, hot, wet, snowy, but the weld doesn't care, because if it's not done right, it will fail. I'm almost done welding on this one. It's looking good, also your shop is clean.

James

Comment

• On to the running boards.

I managed to get all the fender nuts welded in to place . They are secure enough that I was able to replace the rear fender and line up the running board . The next step will be to drill the boards for the mounting bolts and finish the custom running board supports . I want to use carriage bolts or step bolts to secure the boards to the supports . The step bolts have a larger and lower profile head than the carriage bolts but they are hard to find up this way . Both need to have square holes filed into the running board to prevent them from turning .
                              I will fix any questionable welds when I pull the body .
                              Attached Files

Comment

• I want updates with pictures

Got back at the Carryall today . Filed the holes in the running boards . Eleven minutes to turn each 5/16 round hole into a square hole . Six holes in each running board adds up to two hours and change just to create the holes . Add another two hours to line up the boards and pilot drill all the holes into the running board supports and then the board placement will be about 1/2 done . The supports need to be reamed out and tubing will be welded in to prevent the supports from collapsing when the carriage bolts are tightened .
                                I am back to enjoying working on the truck . It is a pleasure to have some things done . At least the fabricating part . I can see a point where the body will be pulled and I may take a couple of short cuts to speed up the truck getting on the road . A lot of time would be saved gluing the rear windows in place . Not adding the sway bars or the anti wrap bars would help too . Once the truck is on the road I can take on those pleasant IQ tests . Of course I have to tear the whole truck to the ground and finish welding the frame . Which will seem like a big step backwards .

Take care and please post a few pictures of your progress on your Carryall .

Bruce

Comment

Working...
                                X