The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carryall Top

James, it has metal in the insert area and I still need to finish it with vinyl on top. If I had it to do over, I would weld an SUV top on it and be done. Thanks.

Comment

• Full roof or insert ?

I like the look of the insert . The problem is you have to deal with the leaks and the fabric can get torn when travelling through the bush . I like the look of the unfilled seams in the roof too , I guess I have seen too many smoothed cars .

Bruce

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
        Got both the middle and rear seat figured out . Out looking at the truck today , did nada , busted ribs and a poor attitude about getting at it .

Bruce
        Bruce
        I would be interested in hearing what you plan on using for the seats in your truck. I'm at that stage.

Archie

Comment

• Back seats where easy

I am using Dodge mini van seats from a Caravan . Any year will work . I have a late 2000 something for the rear because it folds down and a mid 80s seat for the middle because it was sitting in my crawl space .
          Most likely I will pull the head rests off and recover the seats in old green leather - or distressed leather .
          The front seats ? I have no idea . A bench seat that the passenger 1/2 would fold forward would be great .
          A lot of bus seats use tube frames and look very similar to what the Carryall used as stock original seats . You should be able to get the free from someone converting a school bus into a camper .

take care
          Bruce

Comment

• any one got a lead on the lower tail gate hinge ?

Looking for a pair . These hinges seem to get lost or go missing a lot . I started fabbing some up again but I would prefere to do something else .
            Bruce

Comment

I'm scrapping my moonroof, and going to weld a roof in.

Comment

• I was wondering how long the clear roof would last .

I am hoping to make an aluminum insert that will look original . What I would really like to have is a cloth roll back roof like the old VW bugs or the micro busses had . That said I could end up filling the opening with another roof . Unfortunately none of the newer roofs look period correct , the beads are too wide and not rounded enough .

Comment

• I'm not convinced I can get long term sealing. And it rains too often here.

I'm debating a flat steel roof welded in vs a beaded roof......

I have to weld it in and the window pans..... Then I can put my wood floor in.

I just clear sealed the floors... No stain

Comment

• The plastic roofs were tried on some late 70s hotrods

Big issue was they leaked and the water would sit on the plastic and grow slime , scratched easily too . I would look for a existing vehicle roof with the right loft . Mig weld it in and use some compressed air to keep the warping to a minimum . How are you doing on the front seat ?

Bruce

Comment

• I'll try and remember to get a pic in the am. So far, I could not be happier. And I have about 1000 miles in them

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
                        I am hoping to make an aluminum insert that will look original . What I would really like to have is a cloth roll back roof like the old VW bugs or the micro busses had . That said I could end up filling the opening with another roof . Unfortunately none of the newer roofs look period correct , the beads are too wide and not rounded enough .
                        here ya go Bruce
                        http://jp.automotive.com/82133/154-0...oof/index.html

Comment

• Thanks for that link .

I found one brand of after market roof but the down side is that it does not seal as well as I would like . At speed water is driven under the canvas and leaks into the compartment . Air noise is problematic too . Apparently along the edges there is enough space that air can travel into the cab . I will get some information on the roof opening you have linked.
                          How is your project coming along , I am working on mine but progress is very slow .
                          Bruce

Comment

• Hey Bruce...

Not a whole lot Power wagon wise... bought an old BMW R75/5 bike and resurrected it .
                            Hope to start on my m37 this winter

Comment

• More work on my WC53

Well, I have done a bunch of work. I started on the body work. I sand blasted both front fenders, grill, radiator sides, radiator shell, headlights, headlight brush guards, and many more small pieces. I used my last years christmas presents, my body hammers, to hammer and dolly some miner dents. As of right now I have not had to lead work any pieces. I did however spend a few hours, with my earmuffs on, planishing a dent out of my left front fender. It was well worth it, no body filler at all. I primmed, and painted most parts. I will have to lead work the top of my rad. shell as well as my left running board.

Comment

• Afew more pics

Well I started tearing down the body. I am taking the glass, doors, gauges, window regulators, tailgate, everything that can be unbolted off. I will put the body and my rotissorie this week, then blast away. This is getting to be very fun.
                                James

Comment

Working...
                                X