The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Middle photo in post 960

What are we looking at ? Outer skin with the inner panels cut away ? i would like to see a couple more pictures of that area . I am confused .

Bruce

Comment

• Confused

Your confused? Come over to my house, I have three rigs in two garages. My wife just smiles, and tells me she loves me. Your looking at the drivers side with the quarter panel cut out. The new piece welded in, is the piece just on the inside of the quarter panel (the one you can't see after the wood is in the bed, or after the quarter is welded in). The same piece that seems to hold all the stuff just perfect for rust to grow in. The spot weld holes had a small channel piece welded to it, acting as a spacer between the inside panel and outer quarter panel. There were a few canvas pads on the channel to prevent the quarter panel from rubbing. My rig had this channel piece bent and cut from the inside to make some kind of hatchet job to fix the quarter panel disaster. The only access would be where the window box should have been (or in my case removing the outer quarter). Both front window boxes bottoms were rotted out, and the drivers side was totaly gone. When I do my next restoration job I will pay a little closer attention to things.

Comment

• That little vertical strip threw me off .

I looked a second time after my post and figured you may have cut off the outside panel . You must be tired of sand blasting . It gets into weird little places and seems to pop up years later . You will be driving along and there will be a little pile of sand on the floor or you go over some train tracks and you end up with some sand in your eye .

Fun things to look forward to .

Bruce

After looking for 3 months for a miller 251 I broke down and bought a miller 250mp . Of course once I got it home 3 ads have shown up for miller 251s , one of them has an hour on it and comes with bottles and a unopened spool gun . Kind of figures

Comment

• Keeping The Supply House Busy

The word "Extreme" comes to mind? Anyway, it's all good, you guys are doing an "Outstanding Job"!
          Merry Christmas,

Comment

• Another panel

I did some more bending, cutting, welding, and grinding. This was the panel that intimated me when I first looked at this rig. I still need to do some hammer and dolly work before leading. The drivers side was really messed up. I had two good size creases above the fender, and the fender had a piece of angle iron welded to hold it on, due to the missing bolts. Big Bubba also welded and hammered the fender and quarter panel to the point it was almost lost, along with welding the belt line seam together (It's going to take a little work to make that look good). The drivers quarter panel is so long there is no room for error, but with a little patience, and hard work I belive I can save the panel and the rig. I have 15 big things on the list of body work. I'm on number 9. Should have paint by mid or late January.

Comment

• That looks better

how did you create a crown in the sheet of metal that you welded in ? What gas are you using for welding and what wire diameter ?

Comment

• sheet metal work

I put the sheet of 16 gauge in a box brake at 1". I bent the bottom, and the side nearest the door. I then had to cut off most (all but 4") of the bend nearest the door. It lined up with the other good rocker panel, and the new little panel just installed on the inside. I cut the old panel off and only left 1/8" away from the jamb. The bottom I cut small slits with my die grinder, on the bend. When applying a small amount of pressure it puts a nice even crown to match up to the section in front of the rear fender. A shrinker and streatcher would really be nice for that process. I put the panel in place, and cut a small gap 1/32" with my die grinder all the way around the panel, and then used my plasma cutter to cut around the wheel well. I did lap weld the top bead about 1/16" due to the roughness of the upper belt line. I then welded the slits back up, after it took the crown I wanted. This the old fashion way, but until all the neat tools come, it will have to do. Santa is bringing a english wheel this week.
                James

Comment

• Oh and the gas

I'm using 75% Argon 25% C02. Wire is .035.

Comment

• I am back and working in my home shop

I just built a new cross member for my hot rod . There is a transmission sitting on the floor that has been there for far too long . Once I get the old trans pulled and the one on the floor into the rod I plan on getting at the Carryall . Got the door skin back on the passenger door , but the drivers door is starting to bug me . So far I have managed to leave it alone .

Bruce

Comment

• Originally posted by HRT5SLCFD View Post
                      I put the sheet of 16 gauge in a box brake at 1". I bent the bottom, and the side nearest the door. I then had to cut off most (all but 4") of the bend nearest the door. It lined up with the other good rocker panel, and the new little panel just installed on the inside. I cut the old panel off and only left 1/8" away from the jamb. The bottom I cut small slits with my die grinder, on the bend. When applying a small amount of pressure it puts a nice even crown to match up to the section in front of the rear fender. A shrinker and streatcher would really be nice for that process. I put the panel in place, and cut a small gap 1/32" with my die grinder all the way around the panel, and then used my plasma cutter to cut around the wheel well. I did lap weld the top bead about 1/16" due to the roughness of the upper belt line. I then welded the slits back up, after it took the crown I wanted. This the old fashion way, but until all the neat tools come, it will have to do. Santa is bringing an English wheel this week.
                      James
                      We are all looking forward to that, and photos of your work with it.....
                      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

• Inverted

The rotisserie is working out great. With the two high lift jacks at each end I can lift, lower, and turn the body anyway I need. I can weld very comfortable with the body iverted. The underside will now look just as good as the top side. This is the only way to do body work, also it will be very nice to do paint.

Comment

• Ok my friend , lets get this thread to 100,000 reads this year

I renewed my subscription , My daughter is cleaning all the dumb pictures on my camera and I have a few months off work while on sick leave . Now all I have to do is get working on my Carryall and get Gordon to fix it so I can post pictures .

How to get sick leave ? Have an evening class instructor put something loaded with zinc in the forge . Then you go in turn the forge on the next day and get loaded with zinc . You then can have a chronic cough , headaches and maybe even nerve damage .

The guy is a jerk , an idiot , and hopefully there is a special place in **** that he has to work for 3 or 4 eternities in . Full of lead , zinc and other heavy metals .

Interesting that I have stripped a lot of my carryall without raising my lead levels . I must be doing something right . Lots of gloves , hand washing , face mask and I wear my coveralls and wash them separately from everything else .

Bruce

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
                            I renewed my subscription , My daughter is cleaning all the dumb pictures on my camera and I have a few months off work while on sick leave . Now all I have to do is get working on my Carryall and get Gordon to fix it so I can post pictures .

How to get sick leave ? Have an evening class instructor put something loaded with zinc in the forge . Then you go in turn the forge on the next day and get loaded with zinc . You then can have a chronic cough , headaches and maybe even nerve damage .

The guy is a jerk , an idiot , and hopefully there is a special place in **** that he has to work for 3 or 4 eternities in . Full of lead , zinc and other heavy metals .

Interesting that I have stripped a lot of my carryall without raising my lead levels . I must be doing something right . Lots of gloves , hand washing , face mask and I wear my coveralls and wash them separately from everything else .

Bruce
                            That safety situation you mention is bad. Perhaps the administrators of the program need to know of this.

Regarding the posting of photos, you have subscriber status on the forum; I see that under your name at the left. You can post now. Have you tried? Also, as a subscriber you can have an avatar.

This is, of course, far and away the biggest thread on these forums! It is great fun.

Comment

• i have no way to attach pictures

There is no paper clip showing up in my heading , some link stuff but no way to attach a photo . Darn . I did renew my subscription several weeks back ......

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
                                There is no paper clip showing up in my heading , some link stuff but no way to attach a photo . Darn . I did renew my subscription several weeks back ......
                                You have subscriber status, you can attach photos. Scroll down to see the manage attachments button. There is no paper clip; that is an email function.

Comment

Working...
                                X