No announcement yet.

The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else ever see a '46 like this one?

Re: The Kentucky Craigslist Carryall

Interesting.

I am aware of the T112 1/2 ton Panel built from '41 to '47, but never have seen or heard of a Carryall version built after WWII. Anyone able to confirm that such a version was produced? Or, is this a mongrel?
    DavidGB

Comment

• got a little time in .

A couple of updates .
      (1) picked up an air tank 25" x 8" . I was thinking of mounting it on my drivers side running board set in to a well . Problem is the braces for the running board get in the way . There is room under the truck so I suspect that is where it will end up .

(2) Took a look a Thomas electric pump for the tank . Motor on the thing looks like it belongs on a winch . Have done nothing more than look .

(3) managed to get the running board braces to a powder coater . We will see how that works out . They are from away and it is pretty clear that paper work is not high on their list and organization is not too high either .

(4) power steering pump update . Took the box into a rebuilder because some stuff did not seem right . He said that the reason the index mark was down was because the box is reverse rotation . I thought this might be the case but after reading several rebuild sheets never found this little tidbit mentioned .He then told me that the box was too tight even though I had set it up to spec - and that the seal that I had left out needed to go in . The funny thing was he was reluctant to do the work . I did not push him on it and took the box home . Instead of dismantling the whole thing I elected to take off the one piece that I thought needed a seal . Sure enough once I pulled the parts I found the seal was in place - there was an extra seal in the package . I managed to get the end back on and indexed without tearing the box down . This is supposed to be hard to do but I had no problem lining up the parts and could hear a nice little click when the parts fell into place . So I saved myself 300 bucks on the box rebuild . The little slot in the piston indexes with a pin that was on another part in the box . The standard procedure is to install the whole thing as a unit , but to do so would have taken a couple of hours .
      Attached Files

Comment

• Here is a little trick

Wrap teflon tape on the brake tube and the threaded part of the fitting .
        Then slide the fitting over the tape and ensure that no tape protrudes into the seal area .
        Install the male fitting into the female , the tape must be wrapped in such a manner as it will not unwind while the fitting is being installed .
        Why do this ? The parts do nut fuse together when water works its way into the fitting and the corrosion that takes place when different metals contact each other is greatly reduced .
        I took these shots and tried to email them to Gordon as an article - yahoo said the file was too big , like what is with that ? So I tossed them on here ...
        The tape is NOT a seal when used this way , the only purpose is to make the parts easier to remove at a later date .
        Attached Files

Comment

• Two brake lines in

It is cold in the shop and I was out on a search all night . This made for a lazy , laid back day . Got a fire on in the wood stove and wandered out to the shop , bent up some welding rod as a template for the brake lines . I formed the brake lines while sitting in front of the stove , managed to find some armour on one old line which I removed and slid it over my new line . It took quite a few trips in and out of the shop to bend the lines , shorten them and find the correct fittings but the stove provided the central location for the job and it got done in a decent amount of time . The axle is set up pretty much as Dodge did in the past . Two flex lines , Two hard lines and a third single flex line that goes to the front cross member . The third line is connected at the axle but not at the frame . Not sure how I want to do that .

take care
          Bruce

Comment

• NV4500 fun

The end play on the main shaft was .0095 and the specs call for .002 to .006 so I elected to tighten it up . The nut was on there and refused to budge . Turns out both the gear and nut were floating in that green lock tight that destroys tools and threads before it wants to let go . I made a custom socket for the nut and it took a 3 ft bar and about 6 full turns before I felt the amount of force needed to turn the nut slack off .
            The gear should slide right off ........except this one would not budge . So I made up this contraption . I think it took about 140lbs of force to move it the first 1/2 of an inch
            Attached Files

Comment

• That was interesting

I removed all the goop from the nut threads , shaft threads , gear splines and main shaft splines . The gear slid over the splines but would not slide over the machined section . The 5th gear spent a minute and a half on top of the wood stove and it plopped right in place once I wandered back into the shop .
              The main shaft end play is now .0025 . I used some left over shims from a dana 60 which had the correct inside and outside diameter .
              I suspect i will order in one of those nut retainers in an effort to keep the nut from backing off .

Bruce
              Attached Files

Comment

• Carryall on Utube

Not sure who has seen this but it is great for a laugh when you here the commentary " Gee George do yah think its got a horn , i wonder how old the air in the tires are , Oh look that bolt has not been indexed " But the truck itself has some interesting mods .
                Any idea who's truck this is or was ???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRTyJp9L4F8

Comment

• A couple of more parts are less likely to get misplaced

About the only way not to lose a part is to bolt it back in place . The front bumper and the winch are no longer "tripping hazards " and are back where they belong . The 4bt kind of fell into the engine cradle too . I need to lock up the engine and torque the 5th gear nut to it's proper specs . I plan on soaking the thing in green lock tight .
                  Next step will be to modify the fuel tank , torque down that dumb nut and install the transfer cases .
                  It is too quiet around here , no comment about that mystery carryall on boob tube and no updates from no one .
                  At this point I would welcome a picture of someone vaccuumming cat hair off their carryall seats .
                  Attached Files

Comment

• How about some Malamute hair?

I don't have a cat.
                    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

• Malamute would be fine .

But you would need to find a Carryall and have hime sleep in it once or twice .

Bruce

Comment

• I am sure he would cooperate. He likes to get into vehicles even when he is not supposed to.
                        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

• Looking for the picture

Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
                          At this point I would welcome a picture someone vaccuumming cat hair off their carryall seats .
                          Hey Bruce, I haven't had time to work on the truck for quite a few months but I'll see if I can find the picture of me vacuuming cat hair off the Carryall seats. :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
                            It is too quiet around here , no comment about that mystery carryall on boob tube and no updates from no one .
                            At this point I would welcome a picture of someone vaccuumming cat hair off their carryall seats .
                            I've been quietly watching you carry on throughout the fall. I've been swamped with work through the end of this year, and also have been playing with the Jeep a good bit. Its about to leave and go stay elsewhere, that is after I use it to push the carryall back into the shop again. Also.... I'm broke. All year work had everyone with their fingers crossed for a nice profit share at the end of the year to make up for not getting any overtime pay ( I hit my 2080 hrs before Nov 1st) and sadly nothing at all... So my "truck money" doesn't exist so that means no new tools, or barely any money for material. So those are my woes and explanation of my "elsewhere" nature.

As for that mystery carryall video, I don't know if you saw my username in the comments section from a few months back but somone asked about the wheels and I was able to provide to them the company Trail Ready Fab. The owner is a super nice guy but deals mainly with the rock crawler and mud truck guys. That video, in a sense, bothers me. The author can't even remember what year the thing is by the end. Also, not a personal fan of the aircleaner element mounted on the fender... way too Hummer looking for me. To each their own however. I honestly can't wait to start working on mine again. I have a bunch of parts I need to sell so that I can get the cash I need to build the truck, err.. finish paying back my "non-truck" money account that I used to buy that Cummins and Allison. Anyone want to buy a set of WC 1/2 ton axles with 4.30 gears? Centered rear?
                            1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

• Carryall video

it is a sweet looking truck . I am not a big fan of the external air cleaner either , but being an old phart I have never thought of it as a Hummer accessory . Macks , Peterbuilts , KW's even Ford used the external air cleaner box at one time or another .
                              Alxj64 I did see your comment on the Utube video . The commentary in the video is quite humourous and gets funnier each time I hear it . it is the focus and the questions in the video that make it quite entertaining and leaves us with a lot of unanswered questions .
                              (1) How is that spare tire mounted ?
                              (2) Do the side windows still roll down ?
                              (3) what year and type of diesel engine ?
                              (4) what axles and what upgrades ?
                              (5) trannie and transfercase origin ?
                              (6) where did that air cleaner come from ?
                              (7) is that a Braden winch from a PW or one of those rare wenches that came with some trucks ?
                              (8) a detail of the rear bumper set up would be interesting
                              (9) what did he do with the roof ?
                              (10) interior ?

and finally but not least
                              (11) what is the history of this truck ?

these are the questions that needed to be asked and answered . Us 1% want to know . I am starting to think we are the .01% , the ones that build , create and do not pose .

tread lightly
                              Bruce

waiting for that cat picture ............

Comment

• Ohh, I agree that we would be better off asking those questions. I know for certain that once my WC53 is roadworthy, the internet shall be flooded with videos and pictures of it going places and doing things. I am sure that someone, somewhere knows who that owner is. The guys a VPW or Midwest may know him and can point him our direction. Be nice to have another diesel carryall owner lurking around here.

Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post

waiting for that cat picture ............
                                How about a Darg? He helps out a lot... Not really... He likes to lay in the truck and groan at me when sparks begin to fly in his direction.

1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

Working...
                                X