No announcement yet.

The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Bruce, you are going exactly where I am also planning for my carryall. My original leafs were in pretty good shape so I blasted and painted them, but I presently have them assymbled with only 3 leaves and I hope to bolt in the rear this weekend and start measuring the airbag thing. Any tips you can send my way would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

• So how is the ride Chris ?

I gather the wider the bag the more spongy the ride gets . There is math for this , but the basic concept has to do with the volume of air and weight of the vehicle . What is the extended length on the bags in your jeep ?
      At present I am using leafs to locate and the bags to suspend the rear . I have used this set up in the past but used a coil , leaf combo . The truck with the coils could take a full load and when unloaded the ride was great on or off the pavement .
      Four bar or 3 bar may happen once I get this thing rolling . Been stalled for too long .
      TKO64 - will do , You are going to have fun , figuring out the shock location . I am mounting them inboard of the springs and they come up under the seat . They will not interfere with the seat but on a stock floor the shocks would extend about 6 inches through the floor . My bags could take over a month to get here . Fitment will take awhile , but I have a plan .

Comment

• Bruce, the ride is great.. the front is still leaf sprung so when I am bombing down a logging road you feel the front go into a pothole and then when you expect the back wheel to kick you ...nothing

Comment

• After 4 hrs the Carryall has moved 12 feet

I spent an hour cleaning the shop and then called in my son and a friend of his . We moved the Carryall out on it's tires and then started using the floor jack to swing each end around about 3 to 4 inches at a time . No brakes , a slope that runs away from the garage and the steering was only partially installed made for an interesting time . To get the carryall low enough to fit under the door and up on the hoist we had to tie the frame down to the axle using ratchet straps . Late night fuzzy shot of the carryall in it's new berth .
          Attached Files

Comment

• Not 2 Fuzzy

Pretty good picture Bruce. Good lighting!

Comment

• Great lighting

Bruce, it looks great with the light behind it. Looks like a monster coming out of the dark. It could almost scare the kids on Halloween. Looks good.

James

Comment

• I love night shots of garages full of hot rods and friends

Almost dumped the truck off the hoist . Raised the Carryall about 4 ft and went to pull the rear end out but the truck moved forward . The hoist is an old Bradbury model that drops the ramps and leaves a pair of rails under the vehicle . Due to the size of the Carryall and location of the rear loft in the garage I can not block the wheels in the front and that is the direction the truck wants to roll .
                So if I want to work with all four wheels dangling in the air the hoist will work fine . If I want to raise the vehicle and climb under the truck the hoist will also be safe and secure . I just can not unload the rear axle on the hoist and attempt to remove it . I could weld up some sort of jack stand if I need to pull the rear axle , when the Carryall is on the hoist , but I think I will do all the work I can on the hoist and leave axle pulling for the other garage bay .
                Air bags are in Vancouver . I will pick them up next week .

Bruce
                Attached Files

Comment

• Here is a little trick

Welding new shock mounts to the rear axle . Getting them square and even from side to side takes a bit of fiddling . It was much easier to do once I slipped a piece of pipe over the mounting stud . It is an easy matter to keep the mount in place while welding and tweak it a bit to square the mount . I mounted the shock mount so that it would not hang down below the axle housing . One less thing to snag on . In the background you may see the 78 Chevy calipers with the built in emergency brake .
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Dodge carryall for sale

It is in Phoenix , listed on Craigslist . 5000 , complete , a bit beat up but it has pretty much everything . I have not posted this on the other forum for the simple reason that many vehicles that get posted over there get bought and then relisted at prices double or triple the original price.

Bruce

Comment

• Air bag mount

This is the bottom mount . 3/16 plate . Most of the plate was cut with a hacksaw before welding . I had to drill a series of holes along the curve that fits the axle tube ,break away the scrap and then file to fit .
                      A bit of welding and liberal grinding . This particular bag sits at 12.5 to 14 inches which provides about 7 inches up and 7 inches down . Limiting straps may be a good idea .
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Tacked the bottom mount in place

Hopefully there is enough room between the frame and the bag . If not the whole mess comes out and I change over to a triangulated four bar and the bags end up closer to the tires . The math and clearances are all in spec but I want to raise one side and drop the other and see what happens before welding everything in place . Now for the upper mounts and cross bar .
                        Attached Files

Comment

• I did not know that !

I decided to poke a few buttons on my MEMCO welder today . MEMCO is made by Miller or Miller is made by MEMCO , I am not sure which is the parent company . Turns out when I hit the right buttons for wire I can select steel . stainless steel , fluxcore , aluminum and several wire diameters show up too .
                          Under material there is thickness as well as material types and there are quite a few selections under GAS as well . There are other settings that I have yet to figure out one of them is the Memory . Not sure what the trick is with that . There is a "Dual " setting too . Perhaps that setting is for welding two things at the same time .

Bruce

Over 100,000 views and no one posts their progress reports ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
                            I decided to poke a few buttons on my MEMCO welder today . MEMCO is made by Miller or Miller is made by MEMCO , I am not sure which is the parent company . Turns out when I hit the right buttons for wire I can select steel . stainless steel , fluxcore , aluminum and several wire diameters show up too .
                            Under material there is thickness as well as material types and there are quite a few selections under GAS as well . There are other settings that I have yet to figure out one of them is the Memory . Not sure what the trick is with that . There is a "Dual " setting too . Perhaps that setting is for welding two things at the same time .

Bruce

Over 100,000 views and no one posts their progress reports ?

It might pertain to dual shield, which I think is running shield gas and flux core wire.
                            Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

• That is possible

I down loaded the manual for the MEMCO machine quite awhile back . Long enough that I have misplaced the manual . The machine has a micro processor which some people love and a lot did not . Too complicated and it takes a bit of thought to obtain the right settings . Miller went back to using two knobs for adjusting wire feed and voltage .
                              Off to bed , managed to get about 4 hrs in on the Carryall today . Upper air bag mount just needs to be drilled .

BAM

Comment

• Dodge carryall for sale in Bozeman

It is half a carryall . For 900 bucks i think it is a good price , if the sheet metal is as decent as it looks . Hopefully one of the readers on this board needs a parts truck .
                                http://bozeman.craigslist.org/cto/2726585030.html

Bruce

Comment

Working...
                                X