Carryall roofs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carryall roofs

For those that weld in a steel roof, what are you using? Just curious if you are using sheet steel or if there is a "donor roof" out there that is close.

Thanks guys.

I can't find the picture but somebody had posted about using the roof off of a Suburban.

Comment

Calling Lou in TN

I believe that was Lou V. in TN, he cut the roof off of a 1996 Chevy Suburban, and grafted it onto his his Carryall, i spoke with him quite awhile ago about doing something similar (he's a great guy, a real 'truck-nut'). But i never got around to finishing the 'documentation' to put it into a 'howto' style document.

He has done an amazing job with his Carryall, i often look at the pictures he sent for inspiration for other projects.

Here is the info that i wrote down while talking to him last.

LVerville's Carryall Roof Modification

Vehicle: 1942 Dodge CarryAll (WC-53)
      Roof: From a 1996 Chevy Suburban
      Chassis / Running gear: 2004 Dodge 4WD Pickup (Hemi)

Method for modifying roof:
      1) Locate donor roof (1996 Chevy Suburban)
      2) Remove roof from donor vehicle with Sawzall, cutting all the way down to the Posts on the donor vehicle (cut more then you think you will need).
      3) Seperate the roof skin from the donor vehicle from the inner braces (normally affixed with automotive adhesive, recommended using a sawzall with a long blade).
      4) On the Carryall, using an shop-marker (sharpie) draw/mark around the roof-cut-out (you will likely need to enlarge this area by 3-4", so mark around the roof accordingly).
      5) Using a sawzall open the roof area on the CarryAll, following the lines marked above.
      6) Test fit the uncut Suburban roof onto the Carryall to test how it will align (mark forward point, and rear point, and sides on the Suburban roof).
      7) Cut down the roof of the Suburban (leave a lot extra metal on the roof around the edges, atleast 1" all the way around). **DO NOT CUT THE RIBS ON THE INSIDE OF THE ROOF SKIN THESE WILL BE PART OF YOUR WELDING POINTS**
      8) Test fit the Suburban roof on the Carryall again, align correctly, mark its position on the roof of the Carryall with the Shop-Marker all the way around. Then remove the Suburban roof.
      9) Using the sawzall cut back the roof of the Carryall (atleast 1-2" back from the Suburban roof markings in step 8, you will need extra material on the Carryall for welding).
      10) Place the Suburban roof onto the Carryall, align so that the roof is straight, and begin welding around the outer lip, attaching the Suburban roof to the CarryAll body every few inches.

Comment

That looks beautiful. Looks original, yet better than original at the same time! Amazing workmanship!

Comment

Yep, that truck is a beauty!

Comment

more, more, more...........please!

Comment

Originally posted by jbell View Post
              more, more, more...........please!
              At the DTA Albums, I think I have the same truck in photos #177 to #181.
              DTA CARRYALLS

Comment

I think thats a different truck...

I think that is a different truck, the color looks right, but the body/belt line doesnt match.

heres all of the pictures i have of Lou's truck (these pictures are not mine, they belong to Lou in TN).

Comment

You are correct, the Dodge double belt line has been destroyed by rust repair.
                  Paul in NY had the same problem when he replaced his body sides, that belt line is hard to replicate.

Comment

or ...

... you could just do it like Dodge did it, instructions here;

http://www.gwim2.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/carryal3.htm

I reckon it takes about two half days to do a roof and get it right. Materials cost around $50, and the end result looks like it should.

I only have one left to do, in my WD21 133" panel van, and will do it the same way except it will need two board sheets and longer rubber sealing strip.

No big deal at all once you get the knack.

Comment

here is what i did.

tinted margard. now i have a GIANT moon roof.

Comment

Lee, How did you get the Lexan to Conform?

Hey Lee, your moonroof looks awesome, but how did you get the Lexan to curve/conform to the roof lines?

Did you have to use a heat-gun to loosen up the Lexan?

Or did you put it in flat?

Looks great either way!

Comment

Originally posted by RSBuc View Post
                          Hey Lee, your moonroof looks awesome, but how did you get the Lexan to curve/conform to the roof lines?

Did you have to use a heat-gun to loosen up the Lexan?

Or did you put it in flat?

Looks great either way!
                          its flat for now. i THINK im going to cut and remove the braces AFTER i add a roof rack.

the margard cant be heat shaped... btw, its only 1/8" thick... but it is gray color

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/var...ant%5Fid=43221

Comment

Yup, That truck looks very beauty and original .It's really a amazing one. Thanksssssss............for the nice information.Keep it up.Keep posting...........

Comment

Working...
                            X