Interesting day scrounging...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting day scrounging...

So I go into this antique shop today. I'm looking for a old Harris Tweed 3 button sport coat as I have been invited to some kind of fancy horse event, and I guess this is what you are supposed to wear. (I hit all the Salvation Army type thrift stores already). As I'm walking in, this sweet little old blue-haired lady behind the desk says:
    "Hey Honey, the room with the guys stuff is in the back and to the left. It's just furniture up here. Holler if you need any help."

Intrigued, I walk on back.

VALHALLA!!!!!

A full wall of antique firearm glory. All wooden stocks, not a hint of plastic anywhere except maybe the grips on the Russian tokarev pistol in the case. They even had a broomhandle Mauser in there.
    I called back to that sweet little pistol packin' blue hair, that yes...yes, indeed, I will be needing some help in here.

Two rifles caught my attention that I know very little about, besides Daddy want:

1st, a M1 Garand. This caught my eye, because it was made by International Harvester. It looks like it had been reworked because the metal reciver was a kind of grey (or Gray) color. The wooden stocks were in "fair" condition. they were pretty banged up. Are the IH rifles pretty rare? I dont see any for sale from the CMP.

2nd, A Winchester 94 with octagon barrel chambered in .30 W.C.F. (what is WCF?) Nice bore on the barrel, but the front stock has a rattle.

They are both on consignment for about $1200 per gun. Seems a little steep to me but what do I know?

They had a few other Garands, and some Enfield MK IV's. Lots of older shotguns too.

What's a reasonable price to pay for either gun?

Wcf

i believe WCF is Winchester Center Fire...

Comment

Winchester?

Jonas,

The .30 WCF was correctly called the Winchester Central Fire.

The more common name for it today is the .30-30 Winchester.

It was the first commercial cartridge to be loaded with smokeless powder, around the turn of the 20th century.

The prices are a tad on the high side, depending on condition.

Comment

wcf...correction

LONGHUNTER7...after I hit return, i had a funny feeling... thanks for setting me straight... i should have researched better before I hit RETURN

Comment

Did you find your tweed?

Originally posted by Jonas Smith View Post
          So I go into this antique shop today. I'm looking for a old Harris Tweed 3 button sport coat as I have been invited to some kind of fancy horse event, and I guess this is what you are supposed to wear. (I hit all the Salvation Army type thrift stores already). As I'm walking in, this sweet little old blue-haired lady behind the desk says:
          "Hey Honey, the room with the guys stuff is in the back and to the left. It's just furniture up here. Holler if you need any help."

Intrigued, I walk on back.

VALHALLA!!!!!

A full wall of antique firearm glory. All wooden stocks, not a hint of plastic anywhere except maybe the grips on the Russian tokarev pistol in the case. They even had a broomhandle Mauser in there.
          I called back to that sweet little pistol packin' blue hair, that yes...yes, indeed, I will be needing some help in here.

Two rifles caught my attention that I know very little about, besides Daddy want:

1st, a M1 Garand. This caught my eye, because it was made by International Harvester. It looks like it had been reworked because the metal reciver was a kind of grey (or Gray) color. The wooden stocks were in "fair" condition. they were pretty banged up. Are the IH rifles pretty rare? I dont see any for sale from the CMP.

2nd, A Winchester 94 with octagon barrel chambered in .30 W.C.F. (what is WCF?) Nice bore on the barrel, but the front stock has a rattle.

They are both on consignment for about $1200 per gun. Seems a little steep to me but what do I know?

They had a few other Garands, and some Enfield MK IV's. Lots of older shotguns too.

What's a reasonable price to pay for either gun?
          Inquiring minds want to know....;^)

Comment

Old Timers

Originally posted by rickt4498 View Post
            LONGHUNTER7...after I hit return, i had a funny feeling... thanks for setting me straight... i should have researched better before I hit RETURN
            rickt4498,

You'd have to be older than dirt to know that one! That comes from the 1800's when they had a more colonial way of expressing themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint Dixon View Post
              Inquiring minds want to know....;^)
              Nope, still on the hunt. And I don't have any grand parents whose closet I could raid. ;-)

Comment

On that Garand.... light gray receiver could indicate re-parkerizing. If you
                can get a look at it and get the serial number, you could find out what
                vintage it is. IH didn't make as many Garands as Springfield. I believe they
                made less than Winchester too. You should check the barrel to see if there
                are importers marks on it. A common one is "Blue Sky Productions". There
                might be a date on the end of the barrel as well.... along with a proof mark
                which is normally a "pin punch" in the center of an ordinance bomb symbol.
                The stock may or may not have inspectors/proof/arsenal marks on it. If it
                does and they coincide with the IH receiver.... the value goes up. There
                are probably marks on the bolt & op rod that you could research too. A lot
                of Garands that came back from foreign lands were re-worked at least
                once in their lives. The corrosive ammunition these rifles fired in the day
                did a number on the barrels. Many were re-barreled. $1200 sound high to me.
                John

Comment

Working...
                X