Fear of flying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fear of flying?

I wonder if anyone here has any advice about flying for the first time. Here's the situation: my fellow and I are flying to Denver in a couple of weeks to visit some friends of his. Even though he is over 50 years old, he has never flown on a commercial airline flight before, and I think he may be a little nervous.

Of course, as soon as I booked the flight for us, the news media was filled with reports of plane crashes. What can I say to him to reassure him that we'll be fine?

He is a regular contributor here and trusts you guys........

many thanks!

Johnson County, Iowa???

The train ride from Iowa to Denver is nice. You can board in Iowa in the evening, get some sleep in Nebraska, and wake up in Denver.

Comment

Your chances of being involved in an aircraft accident are about 1 in 11 million. On the other hand, your chances of being killed in an automobile accident are 1 in 5000. Statistically, you are at far greater risk driving to the airport than getting on an airplane. However, the perception is that you have more control over your fate when you are in your car than as a passenger traveling on an airplane. Experience shows otherwise, considering that over 50,000 people are killed on the highways every year.

source: http://www.fearlessflight.com/airpla...ash-statistics

Comment

I have avoided the death twice on the highway over the past few years. One instance was a (drunk)driver coming at me head on in a construction zone at night. There was a concrete barrier to the left, only one lane ahead, and the construction area to the right. Good thing I was in a Jeep.

If we compare not the rate of incidents but the outcome of ground vs. air incidents I wonder what the statistics would show. If I'm behind the wheel my fate is in my hands. If I'm a passenger on a plane my fate is in the hands of the aircraft mfg, mechanics, inspectors, and pilot. What can I do but ride it out and hope for the best?

I have flown before and was never comfortable with it. I prefer to drive. Sorry Athena I have no advice to offer you. I think your fellow and I probably feel the same way about flying.

Comment

I've always wanted to take the train across the country. It sounds relaxing - time to talk and time to listen and time to think. I hope we'll be able to do that someday.

For now, thanks to the wonder of Frequent Flier miles, we have tickets in hand and are set to go. Plus, we've only got four days, and the train takes too much time.

I've quoted the statistics to him, but as a couple of you have pointed out, you lose a measure of control when you are flying, compared to when you are driving. Why do men always have to be in control??

And, yes, it IS Johnson County, Iowa. How did you know?

Comment

A:Hide inside the vertical tail rudder of the plane, that's usually the only thing recognizable at a crash site.....B: Take that train.....C: Get your affairs in order as if it were the end of your days (we all should do "C" from time to time maybe).

Comment

a plane is just a big bus with wings...

a very close friend just retired from Northwest after flying since 1990. She has flown all over the country, Europe, Japan, and Australia.

Domestic flights have several "legs". A flight would start from a hub, such as Detroit, then go to Chicago, then maybe New York, then possibly Washington DC, then Pittsburgh.

The crew would "layover" in Pittsburgh, and start the whole process all over again.

Pilots and crew are very well trained, most pilots are former military, with thousands of hours of flight time. They are mostly family people, like us, and all want to get home at the end of the run. SO THEY ARE NOT RISK TAKERS.

just imagine a big Greyhound bus...that serves drinks...and you are all set.

RED retired almost 2 years ago, when NWA was having financial problems, retired to "lock in" her pension, and everyday she regrets that decision.

Comment

Whatever you do, Don't set next to Ron White .

But mostly air travel is very safe. Get to the airport early,dress comfortably and don't bring stuff you know you can't take on the plane. The list is online so do your research.

Comment

Originally posted by Athena View Post
                  And, yes, it IS Johnson County, Iowa. How did you know?
                  It wasn't purely a guess. I have some deductive reasoning skills.

The train ride is fantastic. After your frequent flyer miles are used, I would highly recommend the California Zephyr trip from Iowa to the west coast, through the Rockies and Sierra Nevadas.

Assuming you are flying out of Des Moines, you may stop by my place and I will give your fellow some pillls that may help anxiety. If the pills don't work, you can hit him in the head with something while I distract him.

Comment

Deducing again, your fellow may be accustomed to the sounds of a 1948 B1PW. If I am correct in my deduction, you can assure him that the engine noise on takeoff is no greater than the engine noise of his truck at 40 mph.

He should only become concerned on the plane if he hears the rattling of shift levers.

Comment

airplane noises...

KEVIN... years ago, flying out of Hawaii at dusk, headed East...

flying near the tail in a 747, about twenty minutes out...

"pa-dump-adump".... smooth flight then "pa-dump-adump" felt like we crossed railroad tracks in the sky...

about every twenty minutes, sometimes as long as 35 minutes apart, most of the way back to LAX... flight attendants said probably slight turbulence...

looked out the window occasionally... never saw any crossing lights...

Comment

I'm not sure if you guys are helping, but I like the idea of me distracting him while Kevin hits him over the head.....

(oops, did I get that backwards?)

Comment

Wear a turbin, some sandals and carry a handbook "Beginner's Guide to Flying" onboard. Trust me they'll get you somewhere safely.

Comment

If he has military experience somewhere in his past tell him it's boring and uneventful. It's full of the "hurry up and wait" mentality that fills most of one's service time (the big plus now is that he gets to spend that time with you instead of grumpy young men).

Comment

I have done a lot of flying for business over the years. The more I do it, the less I like it.

Best advice I can give is that some uncomfortable turbulence is to be expected on any flight. Bigger planes are much better than small ones. High altitude can be glassy smooth on nice days, but bumps on the way up and down are fact of life. Unlike driving a car on the ground, there is no "bottom" to the drops, and you can't see them coming. Denver airport is at the base of the Rockies and famous for turbulence, so be ready.

Watch the stewardesses. They are usually unperturbed by bumpy flights, and can have a calming effect, especially if they are pretty. If the pilot tells them to buckle down, that means you are in for a wild ride. If they start crying, calling their loved ones, or putting on parachutes, I suppose that would be cause for concern.

I have been through lots of miserable flights in bad weather and always arrived safely. Airline pilots are the best of the best. Right now as you are reading this there are over 60,000 planes in the air, and odds are they are all going to come in safely. As much as I hate it, it's the safest and quickest way to go.

Comment

Working...
                              X