Two projects, though similar....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two projects, though similar....

I have what may grandly be called a reforestation project. I have planted about 6,000 trees here over the 30 years of my presence on this place. The most recent, big planting was in 1994, the earliest was in 1979. It is a hobby, it is therapeutic, it is beautiful, and it is, in my estimation, my gift to nature and the earth.

I like to walk among these trees, and I have shared that experience with others. Most recently, an important visitor was Ken Marsh, my old friend I lost last July. We would drive my 2001 Cummins Ram out into the field, park in a spot advantageous with respect to scenery, roll the windows down and enjoy. Occasionally I would bring lawn chairs, we would get him out of the truck and we would sit together watching nature.

I wish I had a small, two wheeled cart, much like a sulky, that I could pull behind my small tractor. Horse racing sulkies only hold one person. I am imagining something that could haul up to four, perhaps, but at least two. If I had such a thing, I would have used it to take Ken for rides in the field. We could have gone through narrow places and underneath tree branches, and made it an enveloping experience.

My mother is now 80. She likes the outdoors and her walking ability is not as good as it once was. The sulky idea would be fun for her, too, and it could be fun for very little kids to take them on rides. I would like to have a cart like this.

My question for the informed masses here..... do you have thoughts on how to build such a thing? Meaning, do you recommend certain components? Have you seen such a thing before?

Also, relating, I would like to make a two wheel trailer to pull behind either of my tractors to pull in the trees, using it to carry cut wood. I want an overall width of no more than 6-7 feet, and a bed no longer than 8 feet, and it could even be shorter. A flat bed, I think, with low sides, perhaps.

I could use an M37 frame I have, or.... ? It would be nice to not have to use the tube type wheels, but, of course, I have them. I do like the idea of 8-hole, 16" truck wheels and tires, since they are so common, but am uncertain as to a donor thing for the spindles.

Discuss, please. Offer ideas on both.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Although they have four wheels, it sounds like you could use a small hay wagon. They sell the kits at the farm supply places. The kits are the metal framework and axles, you add the wood. You can custom build it to your needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
      I have what may grandly be called a reforestation project. I have planted about 6,000 trees here over the 30 years of my presence on this place. The most recent, big planting was in 1994, the earliest was in 1979. It is a hobby, it is therapeutic, it is beautiful, and it is, in my estimation, my gift to nature and the earth.

I like to walk among these trees, and I have shared that experience with others. Most recently, an important visitor was Ken Marsh, my old friend I lost last July. We would drive my 2001 Cummins Ram out into the field, park in a spot advantageous with respect to scenery, roll the windows down and enjoy. Occasionally I would bring lawn chairs, we would get him out of the truck and we would sit together watching nature.

I wish I had a small, two wheeled cart, much like a sulky, that I could pull behind my small tractor. Horse racing sulkies only hold one person. I am imagining something that could haul up to four, perhaps, but at least two. If I had such a thing, I would have used it to take Ken for rides in the field. We could have gone through narrow places and underneath tree branches, and made it an enveloping experience.

My mother is now 80. She likes the outdoors and her walking ability is not as good as it once was. The sulky idea would be fun for her, too, and it could be fun for very little kids to take them on rides. I would like to have a cart like this.

My question for the informed masses here..... do you have thoughts on how to build such a thing? Meaning, do you recommend certain components? Have you seen such a thing before?

Also, relating, I would like to make a two wheel trailer to pull behind either of my tractors to pull in the trees, using it to carry cut wood. I want an overall width of no more than 6-7 feet, and a bed no longer than 8 feet, and it could even be shorter. A flat bed, I think, with low sides, perhaps.

I could use an M37 frame I have, or.... ? It would be nice to not have to use the tube type wheels, but, of course, I have them. I do like the idea of 8-hole, 16" truck wheels and tires, since they are so common, but am uncertain as to a donor thing for the spindles.

Discuss, please. Offer ideas on both.
      It sounds like you need to talk to Tom Cavis. He has a lot of experience with just the tool that will cover all the needs you listed above. It is a Mule. These were made during the Vietnam War by various manufacturers. They are usually covered in all of the Military books.

It would diviate from something you would pull behind your tractor, but another self powered vehicle is not a bad thing, right? A mule makes a nice firewood hauler. Removable seats could be added to carry the people you wish. The size is just as you describe. They are 4-wheel drive and all wheel steer. You can even unlatch the steering wheel and "walk" the vehicle with hand controls. There are places who specialize in restoration and sale of these units.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint Dixon View Post
        It sounds like you need to talk to Tom Cavis. He has a lot of experience with just the tool that will cover all the needs you listed above. It is a Mule. These were made during the Vietnam War by various manufacturers. They are usually covered in all of the Military books.

It would diviate from something you would pull behind your tractor, but another self powered vehicle is not a bad thing, right? A mule makes a nice firewood hauler. Removable seats could be added to carry the people you wish. The size is just as you describe. They are 4-wheel drive and all wheel steer. You can even unlatch the steering wheel and "walk" the vehicle with hand controls. There are places who specialize in restoration and sale of these units.
        ....then I would have to start a magazine called Mule Advertiser, and we would have rallies.

I have always thought those were neat, but I would say, using Ken as an example, it would be difficult for a minimally ambulatory person to get onto and off of something like that. Putting them on a comfortable bench seat up on that deck would then be too high, I think.

Comment

I think Kevin and Clint both present good ideas. We use a mule in the Fire Department to move patients out of unforgiving territory.

My thoughts were leaning toward a soft tail suspension, a swing arm type of thing with a recumbent seat for comfort. I'll give it more thought and see if I can envision a soft tail cart for moving people.

Comment

Little kids could climb onto anything. The elderly often have trouble even getting up from a chair. Once walking, it is handy to not have to change altitude too much.

I imagine a dropped axle would be helpful on the sulky.

Comment

people dolly...

how about a two wheel car dolly, remove the wheel cradles, add a diamond plate floor to keep hands and feet safe, add a van style bench seat complete with seatbelts, and your good to go..

wide, safe, stable... with lights for twilight trail blazing...

Comment

I have been thinking about this a little more.

I do not have a Mule so I would be like one of those guys who shows up at a Power-Wagon Rally driving a Jeep, only I would be showing up at a Mule Rally driving a Power-Wagon. It would never work.

Gordon, I assume you have a loader on the front of your tractor? How about making a pallet like base with a nice bench seat bolted to it. You could have it made so it would sit right on the ground. When you are ready to use it just ease your loader bucket into it, chain it up, and you are ready to go. Maybe add some quick change forks to your loader bucket to make it even easier. Of course you would need to have good sets of seat belts and side arm rests on the bench seat.

With a setup like this you could precisely control how far off the ground your passengers are. They would be right up front where you you would always want to be looking anyway. You would not have to be continually turning around to make sure all is well behind you. You could immediately see hand signals or other forms of body communication from your passengers. There would be no need to take corners wide for fear of a trailing surrey getting hung up on a tree or something else on the inside of a corner. With them up front you could easily place them exactly down the center of the pathway and away from low hanging branches etc. They would have the benefit of a "front row seat" without having to watch a tractor in front of them the whole trip. Also, they would not have to deal with insects and other wildlife that would be may up by the tractor tires, exhaust, etc. You would have the added benefit of being able to tilt the bucket slightly if driving across washes or up or down hills.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint Dixon View Post
                  I do not have a Mule so I would be like one of those guys who shows up at a Power-Wagon Rally driving a Jeep, only I would be showing up at a Mule Rally driving a Power-Wagon. It would never work.

Gordon, I assume you have a loader on the front of your tractor? How about making a pallet like base with a nice bench seat bolted to it. You could have it made so it would sit right on the ground. When you are ready to use it just ease your loader bucket into it, chain it up, and you are ready to go. Maybe add some quick change forks to your loader bucket to make it even easier. Of course you would need to have good sets of seat belts and side arm rests on the bench seat.

With a setup like this you could precisely control how far off the ground your passengers are. They would be right up front where you you would always want to be looking anyway. You would not have to be continually turning around to make sure all is well behind you. You could immediately see hand signals or other forms of body communication from your passengers. There would be no need to take corners wide for fear of a trailing surrey getting hung up on a tree or something else on the inside of a corner. With them up front you could easily place them exactly down the center of the pathway and away from low hanging branches etc. They would have the benefit of a "front row seat" without having to watch a tractor in front of them the whole trip. Also, they would not have to deal with insects and other wildlife that would be may up by the tractor tires, exhaust, etc. You would have the added benefit of being able to tilt the bucket slightly if driving across washes or up or down hills.
                  There is a lot about that idea I like. My big tractor has a 7' wide loader bucket; it is an oversize material bucket. It would only take some padding.

The one thing I wonder about is how vulnerable a passenger would feel there. Worrying about me ramming them into something. Maybe a bumper ahead of them? Hmmmm....

As an industrial safety person I would say.... what if they fall off and you run over them?

Comment

The small tractor is a 24 hp Kubota with a vertical exhaust. It would work well for towing, as it is quieter than my big tractor and has the vertical exhaust.

The big tractor is a 73 hp John Deere, a diesel also, and has a low exhaust exiting the rear. Bad for towing something small and close. The riders would get gassed. It would work for the loader ride, but I worry about the engine noise level.

A three point hitch piece for the Kubota would work, too, but I would likely need some front end weights.

Comment

It seems to me you need rickshaw like trailer with motorcycle type wheels.
                      You could have a hard axle and the spring the seat like an old surrey. Just a thought.

Comment

Like this?

http://www.gscart.com/atcart.htm

Comment

or this?

Comment

As an aside, I have ridden in a bucket before. It is not fun, very bouncy. Not something an 80 year old woman would like to do.

Comment

people mover... con't

CLINT... i would think that a bucket would pitch too much... when watching a loader move over an uneven surface, they seem to pitch back and forth a lot...

BOBBYMIKE... i guess all the great ideas ARE invented...
                              Last edited by rickt4498; 04-04-2009, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X