No small accomplishment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No small accomplishment

I arose this morning with nothing to do but have coffee. It was 4:00 a.m. and Momma and Colt were still in bed sleeping off a yesterday of baseball in the strong Iowa winds. I used the opportunity to consider the longevity of Power Wagon Advertiser, the magazine.

The upcoming 25th anniversary of this publication points to an accomplishment of no small degree. Considering that many ideas for magazines don’t make it past the point of conception, a 25th anniversary is a BIG accomplishment.

As an avid reader of many different publications ranging from fiction to history text, I consider myself to be a reasonable judge of good writing. The first time I read the editorial in PWA, I discovered, in the editor, another person who viewed the Power Wagon as more than a truck. His writing ability took the truck beyond its physical confines in relating it to a Colt 1911 pistol or a nice knife. I took a quote from that editorial in March 2005 for use in this thread. It reads: “Some things are the capital of life. A good knife is one. A shotgun or rifle for game is another. A sturdy, capable, reliable truck is one that brings us together here.”

From the same editorial he is quoted here: “The 1911 Colt Pistol lives on today more vigorous than ever, its proven design having been used by quite a number of manufacturers. We as early Dodge truck owners can relate to the intensity displayed by owners of Colt 1911 pistols designed by John Browning, much like that of Harley Davidson owners. We all appreciate that kind of reverence and loyalty.”

I can name no other magazine that captures the spirit of a thing better.

For those who may not know, the editorial is followed by well-written articles by subscribers. The back of the magazine is dedicated to classified advertising that I wish I had been subject to before I bought my Power Wagon.

Since first reading the PWA I have acquired a collection dating back to February 1991. It is, of course, not a complete set and I wonder what I missed in the first seven years.

Congratulations on the upcoming 25th. I appreciate your reverence and loyalty.

Thank you for your kind words. If I had not been along for the ride, I would have a hard time believing it has been this long. It is a long ways from the first issues I pecked out on a bouncing ball, IBM typewriter.

I have made the acquaintance of a lot of really great people and learned a lot about many subjects. This work has been far more satisfying than my real job for a very long time.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
      Thank you for your kind words. If I had not been along for the ride, I would have a hard time believing it has been this long. It is a long ways from the first issues I pecked out on a bouncing ball, IBM typewriter.

I have made the acquaintance of a lot of really great people and learned a lot about many subjects. This work has been far more satisfying than my real job for a very long time.

So, doesn't that make this your real job?

Comment

Hats off to you Gordon...

I started my subscription to this magazine after first finding these PWA forums on the web. I wished, like Kevin that I had found it much sooner.
        I have since learned a lot of information that was hard to get a hold of before opening the pages of the PWA.
        I enjoy reading the "Sitting on the tailgate" every month, it has caused me to laugh out loud and it has caused me to turn my face away from the other people in the room so I could hide the tear that rolled down my face.
        I was thinking about the fact that we have roughly 10% (open to correction) of the people that read these forums that actually post anything themselves. I would like to invite these people to go ahead and post a few of their ideas and also their experiences on these forums, I for one would welcome more input from more people and I am confident that your comments would be welcomed and appreciated by Gordon and all the rest of the people here.

Comment

Gordon I've only been a subcriber/forum user around three years. Wish I'd found out about it (PWA) sooner. I think I come across your ad in Hemmings?

Comment

Originally posted by 712edf View Post
            Gordon I've only been a subcriber/forum user around three years. Wish I'd found out about it (PWA) sooner. I think I come across your ad in Hemmings?
            That certainly could be true, as I did advertise there.
            Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Working...
            X