Most Watched Bad Day at Office

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Watched Bad Day at Office

The youtube thread made me think of this......How would you like it if your biggest screw-up at work (or anywhere) was caught on film? Then how would you like it if that film was used as the opening credits for what would become a top rated prime time television show, back when there were only 3 networks? Well this is precisely what happened to Nasa test pilot Bruce Peterson back on May 10, 1967 while testing the Northrup M2-F2 lifting body, a glider-type vehicle which was a prototype for the non-powered landing of today's space shuttle. The M2-F2 went into what's called PIO (pilot inducted oscilations) or a Dutch roll, which Peterson got corrected but then he thought he was on course for a collison with another aircraft (helicopter). Peterson fires the rocket engine but is unaware of his low altitude because he is off course from the runway. Peterson slams into California's Rogers Dry Lake bed at 250 mph. All this was caught on film. Peterson survived but permanantly lost vision in one eye. He has since passed away (May 2006) but his "bad day at the office" will forever be (at least by us age 40 to 50) remembered as the crash during the opening credits of ABC's 1974-79 hit "Six Million Dollar Man"....

The opening credits scene of the "Six Million Dollar Man" can be seen on youtube....The May 10, 1967 flight of Peterson's M2-F2 can be scene (28 seconds of it) at Dryden Flight Research Center's site (dfrc.nasa.gov/gallery). You'll need quicktime on your PC to view this and other Nasa films.

Comment

How about the guy on the ski jump on Wide World Of Sports Vinko Bogataj
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKEDD1i4oGk

Comment

Yep, I remember Jim Mckay and the "agony of defeat". Glad you brought this back to memory.

Comment

Originally posted by 712edf View Post
          Yep, I remember Jim Mckay and the "agony of defeat". Glad you brought this back to memory.
          The thrill of victory.............and the agony of defeat. Yep, some of those memories just take a little nudge and they're back.

Comment

Originally posted by 712edf View Post
            The youtube thread made me think of this......How would you like it if your biggest screw-up at work (or anywhere) was caught on film? Then how would you like it if that film was used as the opening credits for what would become a top rated prime time television show, back when there were only 3 networks? Well this is precisely what happened to Nasa test pilot Bruce Peterson back on May 10, 1967 while testing the Northrup M2-F2 lifting body, a glider-type vehicle which was a prototype for the non-powered landing of today's space shuttle. The M2-F2 went into what's called PIO (pilot inducted oscilations) or a Dutch roll, which Peterson got corrected but then he thought he was on course for a collison with another aircraft (helicopter). Peterson fires the rocket engine but is unaware of his low altitude because he is off course from the runway. Peterson slams into California's Rogers Dry Lake bed at 250 mph. All this was caught on film. Peterson survived but permanantly lost vision in one eye. He has since passed away (May 2006) but his "bad day at the office" will forever be (at least by us age 40 to 50) remembered as the crash during the opening credits of ABC's 1974-79 hit "Six Million Dollar Man"....
            Bruce Peterson!!??.... you mean that wasn't Steve Austin!!???.... I've been
            lied to all of these years.... :)
            John

Comment

Originally posted by Hobcobble View Post
              Bruce Peterson!!??.... you mean that wasn't Steve Austin!!???.... I've been
              lied to all of these years.... :)
              John
              Well the audio was Steve Austin!

Comment

for a bad day at the office..

just follow me...

it seems I have a Black cloud attached to a leash, which in turn, is attached to my rear belt loop.

Every step I take, the cloud follows, then when I stop, the forward momentum picks up my but*, and drops me, face first, down.

Fortunately, I'am a POLLACK and keep getting up... too stubborn to quit.

FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT...NEVER QUIT.

Comment

Working...
                X