Goodbye Pontiac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodbye Pontiac

Well I don't own a TV and I'm not a regular radio/newspaper guy, but unfortunately today I was exposed the media and all I heard was bad stuff (as usual). Swine Flu is this months thing thats gonna kill the world (remember anthrax,black mold, radon, Y2K, leaded gas, global warming, on & on & on).....And now Pontiac is the latest victim of this global "economy" where america buys everything & makes nothing (ok there's more to it than that)....Not that I was a big fan or anything, it just makes room for more plastic ricers. What memories of Ponchos do ya'll recall? For me it was the "Smokey & the Bandit" T/A's and reading about the big Catalinas that owned Daytona in the very early 60's. Also I thought the V8's sharing a common block was a good concept.

The first Smokey movie was good but the others sucked. I was talked into buying a 69 Firebird convertible by my ex and it didn't have a straught panel on it. It had been sandwiched in a wreck then had the 400 and 4 speed sold off. I worked on that car long and hard with the only good part being the new top by the previous owner just before the crash. I had it ready for paint and drove it a total of 2 miles when we parted ways. She got the car in the settlement but never finished it and later sold it for $900. It sat outside in all kinds of weather which made the plastic rear window fog and surface rust appear under the primer. I have no idea what became of the car but that's as close to owning something other than a Dodge. She had it in her name. Oh well that was 24 year ago. Good by Wide Track Pontiac.

Comment

Pontiac joins Plymouth

I have always been a Mopar guy but friends and associates don't always see things the same way. In the distant past I hung out around some guys that were totally into Pontiacs, mostly Trans Ams.

I learned a lot about the details of the first TAs and Pontiac engines. I got to see Ram Air IV heads and ride in a Super Duty TA. That same TA had a rear seat center console. Super rare, the only one I've ever seen. To me it was cool to be around this muscle car stuff but for a Pontiac guy this would have been heaven.

There are other brands I'd prefer to see disappear before Pontiac. It would be nice to keep our American heritage. Hopefully our Chrysler products will still be produced in the future.

Comment

I was pretty sad to see the Plymouth brand go. But well, the last Plymouths had little in common with the ones I grew up with, and continued on as Dodges and Chryslers. Not sure anyone noticed they were gone except me and certainly some of you.

Some of my ancestors were Oldsmobile buyers and no one thought they would ever disappear. Number one selling car for much of the '80s.

Always liked the '63 Pontiacs. Very nice looking cars. All the Pontiacs of the '60s had some pretty elaborate stampings...Check out the bumpers on say, a '68. Really incredible work.

Pontiac had some pretty savvy marketing during the muscle car era, but I never thought their engines matched the hype. Their hottest cars, the Super Duties, were pretty rare, and I don't know that I've ever seen one in action. Most of the GTOs had 389s or 400s, and these were in no way comparable to the big Mopars. Indeed, the 340 Duster used to eat GTOs for lunch. The 70s Trans Ams were real dogs, though very nice handling. Not bad looking, if you like big chicken decals on your hood.

As with many things GM, the last Pontiacs will probably be remembered as some of the best they built in a long time. That newest G8 is a pretty impressive car.

GM has been dropping about one point of market share each year for oh, 30 years or so. Do the math. In recent years, they stayed afloat by selling bonds. Were it not for current economical conditions, they might have lasted another 5-10 years. As it looks now, I can't imagine they'll be with us too much longer.

Comment

One thing to think about is even though the name might be going away, the vehicle might remain and just be re-badged as a surviving brand...
          If a car is a good seller and a decent car, it would be a waste for GM to just eliminate it all together...

Pieter

Comment

Serves them right.
            But then, I'm still angry about them dropping the Oakland in favor of the Pontiac. Seriously though, when the dust settles GM will probably continue some of the Pontiac line rebadged under GM or even Chevy.
            They will likely keep the most saleable products from each line and mold them into a new line up.
            Bear in mind the whole notion of one big corporation having several brands was based on targeting specific brands to a particular economic strata. But these days the guy who lives in a single wide on concrete blocks may have a sixty thousand dollar car parked out front on the gravel next to the old Frigadaire. The price point marketing is pretty much gone the way of the Packard since most dealers represent several brands, and most mfg's have models in all ranges with few exceptions.
            Or maybe they'll reintroduce the Marquette.

Comment

I still don't get the idea of killing Pontiac and keeping Olds. I know they're popular in China since little of the linup is unique to Olds just sell it as a China-only brand like Opel or Holden is for Europe and Australia. Pontiac at least had some unique vehicles.

I think it would have fit well as the niche player they were aiming for. Keep the G8, and the Solstace, maybe consider a "performance" version of the Volt architecture or an electric Solstace style "halo" car, all at limited quantities and you'd have a keeper devision.

Oh well, at least it looks like Chrysler may survive for a little while longer. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/29/bu...9auto.html?hpw

Comment

I am a little sad about it. After I rolled my Jeep Scrambler I bought a '67 Firebird. It only had the 326, but it was sweet. I finally sold it after I got a $500 ticket. Ahhh, misspent youth....

Comment

Gto

I'm reminded of a old guy who told me that back in 69 he got a new GTO with a special order 428 cid engine, which wasn't available in goats but in their luxury rides. He said it was a tad quicker than "normal" GTO's. His story, not mine.

Comment

another goat story

I business friend of mine tells me that in 1970 he ordered and paid extra to get the last GTO made and it came with paperwork to verify that fact. He has had it up on blocks ever since he got it.

Comment

Working...
                    X