Forum question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum question

When someone replies to a post that you are subscribed to, you receive this message:

There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.

All the best,
    Power Wagon Advertiser Forums
    Is there are way to disable this so you receive all the responses?

Reason being, I get the initial reply on my Blackberry while I am on the road, but that is all I will receive until I log back into the forum. I've had some good realtime suggestions posted and couldn't see them until I logged back in. I can log into the forum with my phone, but it's not the easiest to do.

I was just wondering if there was a switch I could change??

Thanks,
    Pieter

I recently got a Blackberry. It's very useful on the road but as you see some sites are not Blackberry compatible. I sent Gordon an e-mail about this but never got a response. I do not know what it would take to make this forum Blackberry friendly but it would sure be nice if it was. Then you wouldn't need those thread subscription alerts.

Comment

I can get on the forum with my Blackberry, it just isn't the easiest to do...
      Some sites are built better then others. Any Flash sites, my Blackberry just says No Way...

Pieter

Comment

Originally posted by OLD DODGE View Post
        I recently got a Blackberry. It's very useful on the road but as you see some sites are not Blackberry compatible. I sent Gordon an e-mail about this but never got a response. I do not know what it would take to make this forum Blackberry friendly but it would sure be nice if it was. Then you wouldn't need those thread subscription alerts.
        I apologize for that, it is not my habit to not reply to emails. See my next post....
        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by pieter View Post
          When someone replies to a post that you are subscribed to, you receive this message:

Is there are way to disable this so you receive all the responses?

Reason being, I get the initial reply on my Blackberry while I am on the road, but that is all I will receive until I log back into the forum. I've had some good realtime suggestions posted and couldn't see them until I logged back in. I can log into the forum with my phone, but it's not the easiest to do.

I was just wondering if there was a switch I could change??

Thanks,
          Pieter
          To the best of my knowledge, no. I do not find a way to change that in the admin panel. I believe that is because sending note to all subscribed participants for every single post would dramatically increase resources used by the forum mechanism.

I have been out of town for four days and could not reply to the forum during that time.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
            I apologize for that, it is not my habit to not reply to emails. See my next post....

Gordon,

I just resent the e-mail. The question is .... can the Power Wagon Advertiser Forums be made Blackberry compatible? I do not know what it takes but I can tell you the result. If a web site is compatible it displays only the text in a basic no frills format. Pictures are represented by a link that you have to click on. This makes it easy to navigate through the posts. Otherwise its click to zoom, wait, click to zoom again, wait, scroll around, wait. Not very fun.

Six months ago I did not know what a Blackberry was. Now that I have one I love it. Way better than the Nextel I-90 I was using. Its almost like a mini laptop.
            Attached Files

Comment

How about getting Santa to hook you up with a new 17" laptop with totally wireless internet? Take it anywhere there's cell service.

Comment

Aren't you always out of town...

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
                .....I have been out of town for four days and could not reply to the forum during that time......
                ....you live in the country.....

;^)

Comment

Originally posted by Clint Dixon View Post
                  ....you live in the country.....

;^)
                  In that sense, I have been out of town for just over 30 years....

Comment

Gordon,

I just resent the e-mail. The question is .... can the Power Wagon Advertiser Forums be made Blackberry compatible? I do not know what it takes but I can tell you the result. If a web site is compatible it displays only the text in a basic no frills format. Pictures are represented by a link that you have to click on. This makes it easy to navigate through the posts. Otherwise its click to zoom, wait, click to zoom again, wait, scroll around, wait. Not very fun.

Six months ago I did not know what a Blackberry was. Now that I have one I love it. Way better than the Nextel I-90 I was using. Its almost like a mini laptop.
                    This forum software has a forum of its own to support users. Let me explore your question there with their tech support people.

Comment

What I learn thus far is vBulletin does not support Blackberry function. There is accessory software available from third party vendors to support Blackberry on vBulletin, which, no surprise, must be purchased.

For the moment I have to say, given the small number of Blackberry users presently in place, I can't justify the purchase. As we move forward, more people use Blackberry technology, and there is a greater amount of financial support for the forums through added premium users [or subscribers] we will likely go that route.

Comment

So how much is the accessory software? Does vBulletin have any plans in the near future to support these? It would sure be handy. I belong to several Dodge Truck Yahoo Groups (Blackberry friendly) and its nice to be able to read all the messages away from the computer where ever that may be.

Comment

So how much is the accessory software?
                          It is not just the purchase cost, but also the administrative and maintenance costs. Furthermore, when you run hacks or added software, you don't get the best support from the developer of your main application. There is an initial cost and then subsequent costs, which can rise in intangible yet vexing ways.

Does vBulletin have any plans in the near future to support these? It would sure be handy.
                          See the thread link below.

I belong to several Dodge Truck Yahoo Groups (Blackberry friendly) and its nice to be able to read all the messages away from the computer where ever that may be.
                          Yahoo is a big organization; they can afford to develop and offer features.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=305747

Check on Opera Mini

Comment

For what it's worth I like things the way they are. 10 to 15 years ago what resources did we have for gathering technical data,historical information or anything else for that matter on our trucks? Magazines, a Chilton's manual, some how-to-rebuild this or that book at the bookstore. We have come such a looooooong way in just a matter of years in the transferring of information on our rides. We've shrunk the world into a keyboard & a 17" monitor (or Blackberry). Have a question, its answered moments later by someone thousands of miles away. We claim we like Power Wagons partly because of their simplicity, their taking us back to a time when we lived at a "normal" pace. Yet we want to carry the whole world around in our pocket and have access to it in an instant, no we can't even wait for that instant. Now,now,now gotta have my internet now can't put it aside long enough to pull ourselves away from the screen and onto the playing field of life......Waylon & Willie said it best (for me), "maybe its time we got back to the basics of life". Venting complete.

Comment

Knowing when you can turn your Blackberry on or off is a good thing. The old times are great, but the technology (in my opinion) is even better when the needs arises. There is one particular person on this forum who has benefited from my Blackberry (besides myself).

Loosing a water pump in the middle of Missouri on a Cummins diesel at 2:30pm on a Saturday afternoon could have potentially meant being stuck there until Monday morning. Within 5 minutes of pulling over and diagnosing the problem, I had a water pump located & priced 20 miles away.

Or driving across New York and starting to look for a hotel room at 8pm and not finding one until 3:30am within 30 miles of the Pennsylvania border :o(

Plus, those that don't get to travel as much or go on such journeys do get a kick out of postings from those that are on the road. One trip out East I periodically would post of Joe's forum where we were and how the trip was going. The ones expecting a vehicle are actually the most anxious and will take any updates they can get.

I guess I should be thankful that I can access this forum via my blackberry, but I normally don't as it's a little cumbersome.

Pieter

Comment

Working...
                              X