Mileage out of an 83 2wd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mileage out of an 83 2wd?

My buddy has a very clean 83 2wd short bed that is supposed to be a 440 project but he hasn't touched it in 2 years. Its a slant 6 4spd truck that could probably use a little work on the motor. I'll be moving back closer to home in december and am thinking about replacing the ranger with the truck. What kind of mileage do yall think it would get. I used to get in the high teens in the 88 with a 318/A999, could I break 20 with the 6 and overdrive? Just thinkin about a project to get to keep me occupied when I'm done with school.

17 mpg highway

Comment

That's it? I used to get a combined 18 with the 88, granted most of it was highway driving. Maybe I should just buy the 1 ton thats not too far from my girlfriends and find a cummins donor.

Comment

When everything's working properly fuel injection is a little more precise than carburation, and a little more efficient. 20mpg with a 225 & OD is possible only if the motor (& drivetrain) is tuned razor sharp and the driver is making a conscious effort to conserve fuel. A tailwind and going downhill helps.

I hear all kinds of wonderful stories about how great the mileage folks are getting out of some of their modern rigs. Some of this is based on what their little overhead computer is telling them (lie?) or guesstimation. Actual mileage can only be acurately computed using precise distances and fuel amounts.

Comment

Working...
        X