be careful posting phone #'s on internet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• be careful posting phone #'s on internet

Well last week I joined some registries online and at some point I must have been asked to enter my phone number in a chosen field. Apparently this field is somehow accessable to at least part of the public. Since that time I have received 40 or so calls from people I do not know (they don't know me either),either saying that they received a text message on their cell phone to call my number, or they ask for someone else. I don't even answer if I don't recognize the incoming call number. When I ask for the number that the text originates from, they give it to me but its not to a working phone. Each one is different.

I guess the technology is out there to send text messages from a computer to a cell phone and it not be traced back without police authorities being involved. Since no harrassment has occured the police aren't involved yet. My cell carrier says changing my number is the easiest way to get me out of the picture, but those people who get the random texts would have to get their cell provider involved to trace where the texts are originating. All calls to me (from those who got texts telling them to call my #) are from my area code, so at least its not a national problem yet. Probably some 8th grader having fun at my expense.

Moral to the story: Keep your phone number off of the air, or spell part of it out (1-eight hundred,etc), just to try slow down these number bandits.

Bucky

Not sure if this helps in your case but I have my phone service set up without text messages usage. I never send a text message, to me it makes no sense why anyone wants to type on a phone when talking is much easier.

Comment

Same way I have my phone set up. I agree 100%. A phone is for making calls, and receiving calls. that is it as far as I am concerned.
      Jeff

Originally posted by oldmopar View Post
      Not sure if this helps in your case but I have my phone service set up without text messages usage. I never send a text message, to me it makes no sense why anyone wants to type on a phone when talking is much easier.

Comment

And here I thought I was the only who felt that way. I see them coming out with text only phones in the future. Nothing like making the world even more impersonal by not talking person to person. There are many days when I wish I could go back to not having a cell phone at all. And they call it progress. I need some sweet tea.

Comment

Ron,
          Wallene just brewed up a fresh container of that today. Come on down and enjoy our 100+ degree temps. and a big glass of ice cold sweet tea.
          Jeff

Comment

It got to 96 here! I had the tea brewed by 6am, in plenty of time to cool.

I like text messaging. I can leave someone a note that they can read when it's convient for them. And if the reception is bad, a note works nice. If it's important, I call.
            Plus, I think it's easier to text a joke.

Bucky-- Thanks for the heads up. I start to think that security is getting better just in time to learn that the crooks are learning, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff in N.Tx. View Post
              Ron,
              Wallene just brewed up a fresh container of that today. Come on down and enjoy our 100+ degree temps. and a big glass of ice cold sweet tea.
              Jeff
              Thanks but no thanks. We're supposed to be 92 here tomorrow and I had 3 glasses of sweet tea for supper. It's a "dry" heat down there right? Hot is hot I don't care where you are.

Comment

Originally posted by oldmopar View Post
                Even if I didn't have text messaging I'd still be getting those calls. I'm just thankful for caller ID so I don't waste time answering them anymore, just hit the ignore button and keep on trucking. I don't have VOICEMAIL service which prohibits anyone from leaving a voice message. Also if someone who doesn't need my # asks for it, I give them my wireless broadband number that's for my PC. They'll hear it ringing forever and I'll never know it.

BTW think we hit 100 again here today, but it don't bother me because I don't look at the TV or listen to the weatherman harping about it. The less you hear about the weather the less it will bother you. Psychology!

Bucky

Comment

Working...
                X