Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some bad news

Hi fellas,

Our friend George from Alberta, Canada suffered a severe stroke night before last. He got hit on both sides, not good. He knows what's going on and has some speech ability, but partial paralysis. He is in good hands & receiving good care, and of course he has many friends up there to help.

His friend called me last nite and George was able to say, 'Hi, Jimmie...' so to me that's a real good sign! Please, keep him in your thoughts & prayers, he's a mighty fine guy.

JimmieD

Prayers sent

I'll light a candle in St. Patricks Cathedral Monday on my way to work.

Comment

George seems to be a really good guy, judging by his posts over the years.
      I will keep him in my thoughts and prayers. Hopefully he has a good family around him to help.

Comment

The faithful, fervent, prayers of a righteous man avail much. With the distance between us preventing us offering any personal one on one assistance to him and the family directly, those prayers are the very best we can offer. For certain, prayer is much more powerful than anything else we could offer anyway.

Comment

I am sorry to hear of this. I will keep George in my thoughts, and wish him a speedy recovery.

Comment

Thank you for passing that on.

Good to hear from you JimmieD!

Bucky

Comment

Hi fellas!

I know for a fact that George would agree with you, Charles! Thanks to all for the prayers and kind thoughts.

Update: his friend Jim called last night and George is doing well. He can talk fairly well so that means he can think clearly. He has movement of both arms & both legs. No facial paralysis, no other direct paralysis, but it will be a while before we find out if he can walk. He is still in hospital and will be for a while, how long isn't currently known. He's receiving excellent care. He has many friends in the area to help him. Jim's taking care of his big dogs. I'll post when I find out more.

Please, keep praying guys....

If anyone wants an address to send something to George please email me and I'll send it you.

Comment

I don't know George but I pray for a speedy recovery. I'm sure all our prayers and candle lighting will help him greatly.

Comment

Hey Jimmie, Good to hear from you even if you are bearing bad news.

It almost sounds like George had a transient ischemic attack or a TIA for short. This can actually be a blessing because it warns of the risk of an impending severe stroke. Treated immediately, a more damaging stroke can be avoided. The symptoms of a TIA mimic a stroke but are not permanent.

Some call a TIA a "warning stroke". I'm glad George is in good care. Thanks for posting.

Momma, Colt and I will send prayers for George.

Comment

If George is the George I am thinking of, he has come to the VPW Rally a few times and usually wears bib overalls? In any case, best wishes and hopes for a speedi recovery.

Comment

Yeah, Kevin, I'm familiar with TIA's, have had several hundred myself thanks to a toxic chemical exposure. Unfortunately for George this was apparently the real thing, full blown stroke on both sides. Still haven't conversed with him as he's still in the hospital, praying for the best!

Hi, Clint, I think I know the fella you mean & this is a different George. The one I speak of is from Canada, has been to the USA a few times, but never mentioned any rallies.

Thanks, all, and remember to take one aspirin every single day, said to be the best single stroke preventative available! I've had 2 or 3 medical doctors suggest that to me.

JimmieD

Comment

Jimmie-

My machinist just had a stroke which the doctor linked to his asprin-a-day regime. It seemed this overly thinned his blood, leading to a brain hemmorage, which fortunately seems to have been mild, as he's regaining his balance and speech. There's been a lot of rethink on the asprin theory, with medical centers like the Mayo Clinc urging caution- so if you don't absolutely need it, you may want to quit- slowly, to avoid a "rebound effect".

Comment

Yes, I'm sure there are exceptions to every rule. Certainly some people may already have 'thinned' blood, or little inherent risk of stray blood clots breaking loose. The medical community seems to change its collective opinion on various topics more often than most people change their socks.

I should say, check with your doctor, then do as you will. In my own case it's a good & practical regimine, doing little harm and possibly some good.

Related, many doctors recoil in horror and say that aspirin isn't good, causes intestinal bleeding. They then suggest you take 2 acetominophen or ibuprofen every 4 hours, or the new super-anti-inflammatories which offer probably 10 times the possibility of harm and worse. To each his own.

Comment

You can stroke out two different ways- one via a blockage of brain supply blood vessels with a clot, and two, via hemorraging of blood vessels in the brain- which is what the machinist experienced. He'd done the asprin therapy for 5 yrs, and noticed his blood took a long time to clot after cuts. This probably should have been a warning sign.

Medical "science" always seems to discover the positive before the negatives-which is why one should be careful about jumping on new bandwagons. That being said, the practice of cardiovascular medicine is about to change siginificantly- things like stents and surgery will fade out in favor of diet modification and drugs in the next 20-odd years. The reason Americans coined the term "heart attack" in the 1920's is entirely food-related, and other nations that have adopted our eating habits have exactly the same problem.

Comment

Originally posted by maineSS View Post
                              Medical "science" always seems to discover the positive before the negatives-which is why one should be careful about jumping on new bandwagons.
                              A lot of the blame lies with the media and drug companies. Many of these health fads are started by media outlets latching on to some report without discussing the details. Or by drug companies advertising some new "problem" you didn't know you had that can now be cured by their drug.

Popular science ran an article a month or two ago discussing some of these medical "discoveries". Not everyone is the same, and a finding in some study just means there may be a correlation between the issues being studied.

As always the only guaranteed prescription is to take all these "findings" with a grain of salt.

Comment

Working...
                              X